By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Switch 2 Could Do 4K@120fps

Let's assume that the successor to the Switch takes on the same form as its predecessor; that is, it's a handheld/console hybrid, with more or less the same power consumption, and that it will come out in 2023 or 2024. We'll call this the Switch 2. Now what if I told you that I think it is perfectly reasonable that this device can be capable of running even fairly demanding games at 4K 120fps? First, let's have a technical primer that I am totally ill-equipped to give:

The Switch uses the Tegra X1 chipset, made by Nvidia. Nvidia is probably best known for their desktop GPUs, such as the RTX 20-series cards. The Tegra X1, based on a 20nm process, came out in 2015. A revision based on a 16nm process came out in 2019 and was used for Switches made since ~August 2019 and every Switch Lite. While more powerful than the original, Nintendo chose to forego that benefit for compatibility and instead only enjoy the lower power consumption. Let's assume that Nintendo sticks with Nvidia and has them provide the chipset for the Switch 2.

Recently, Nvidia unveiled version 2.0 of their DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling). This uses machine learning to train AI to upscale low resolution images from games into high resolution ones. In other words, a game can render at 1080p and DLSS can output a 4K image. Now you may say that that's not truly 4K, and won't look as good as native 4K. Indeed, I said the same. But it seems Nvidia really delivered on their promise with DLSS 2.0! Take a look at this Digital Foundry video to see it in depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4  The takeaway here is that DLSS 2.0 is basically free performance, better quality, or a mix of both with basically no catch. Well, the catch is that you need a 20-series card since it requires Nvidia's Tensor (AI focused) cores.

Now fast forward to 2023. Nvidia has by now released a new mobile chip with Tensor cores as well as DLSS 3.0, which can near flawlessly upscale 4X (1080p to 4K) with an even smaller performance cost. I'll skip the AI argument (though will make it upon request), but I think this is more than reasonable to expect by then. In other words, this means that for the Switch 2 to output 4K@120fps, the system actually only needs to render at 1080p 120fps. So can we expect that? With said mobile chipset likely being based on a 7nm process and keeping a 15W power limit, I think so. Might have to skip ray-tracing, though.

P.S. For those of you wondering about handheld mode, let's say the Switch 2 screen is 1080p. This means that 4X upscaling will only require a 540p render, which as the DF video shows, actually works great with DLSS 2.0. So the introduction of DLSS may actually be a greater benefit for handheld mode!

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

I will care about 4k when I have a 4K tv. I just know Nintendo oddly cares a lot about lighting so I figure they will have some RT in it. Then use that RT in puzzle solving for a Zelda game or a freaky level in Mario. They will come up with really creative ways to use it in a gameplay mechanic. I care more about framerate than resolution. If a bulk of 3rd party games can at least be 1080P and 60FPS. I'm good.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I would expect a Switch 2, to use DLSS as well yes (much better technique than checkerboarding).
I still doubt it will do 4k 60, even in first party games.

Mar1217 said:
Let's get a consistent 60 fps in most games before jumping to a whole other shark.

Indeed not all games would even aim for 120fps in this scenario (but it is a must for Mario Kart, Splatoon, and, above all, Smash!), but nonetheless DLSS would increase framerates drastically for any given resolution and raising the cap to 120fps would make it easier to establish 60fps as the baseline, especially since nobody has a TV with a refresh rate lower than 60hz.

Leynos said:
use that RT in puzzle solving for a Zelda game or a freaky level in Mario. They will come up with really creative ways to use it in a gameplay mechanic.

0.o ^Ideas man right here!

Around the Network

You're going to be disappointed. And I'm saying it as Nintendo fan. Don't get your hopes too high.
If the form factor of the Swtich 2 remains the current I don't think we can expect much more than an OG PS4 in terms of pure horsepower (docked). Sure new tecnhinques like VRS ajnd DLSS will give it an edge but even after that I think we can expect something more akin to a PS4 Pro in the best case scenario. If we're lucky some next-gen games that will run at native 4k; 120fps on Xbox Series X may run on next-gen switch 60fps at non-native 1080p.

I was going to make a similar thread. Instead however the focus would of been getting PS5/Series X ports running decently from sub 720p resolution. For 1st party games, I think upscalling to 4k from 1080p & hitting 30/60fps depending on the game would be the focus.

Who's TV runs at 120fps? 0_0

It could do it with streaming, but even like that it wouldn't be really do it since most places wouldn't have internet for it.
On HW basically impossible outside of indie games with simple graphics, even XSX or very powerfull PC will struggle with most games at 4k120fps.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Let's actually have a Nintendo console achieve 1080P/60fps consistently first before we start drooling over 4k/120fps.

Tegra Orin should be able to beat the Playstation 4 hands down and that should release next year and be cheap/mature enough for a 2023 console inclusion for Nintendo.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--