By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 Discussion - Staggering bosses! ( Boss fights are great spectacle but ugh)

I'm guessing Mako Reactor 5 will be 3 chapters in it self right?

Around the Network

I just finished Air Buster and I gotta say; what an annoying fight. Don't feel strongly positive about it. It drags on forever and feels like it is impossible to stagger him, but I feel this way about a few bosses where it says "do this to stagger enemy" and it has very little effect. The first time you stagger him it triggers the next phase with this phases being the only phase I staggered him. Then its the flying out in the distance thing and I just felt it was impossible here

I'm starting to think that because how scripted these boss fights can be , in order to ensure that no phase is missed, that the stagger gauge fill is reduced significantly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I am on the verge on giving the boss fights with mechs(where this issue mainly occurs) a thumbs down.

Xxain said:
I just finished Air Buster and I gotta say; what an annoying fight. Don't feel strongly positive about it. It drags on forever and feels like it is impossible to stagger him, but I feel this way about a few bosses where it says "do this to stagger enemy" and it has very little effect. The first time you stagger him it triggers the next phase with this phases being the only phase I staggered him. Then its the flying out in the distance thing and I just felt it was impossible here

I'm starting to think that because how scripted these boss fights can be , in order to ensure that no phase is missed, that the stagger gauge fill is reduced significantly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I am on the verge on giving the boss fights with mechs(where this issue mainly occurs) a thumbs down.

Air Buster is a really annoying fight indeed but it's an exception. At least up until Chapter 11 (where I'm at currently), the boss battles are more manageable.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 19 April 2020

Signature goes here!

I must of been fighting the hell house boss (tournament boss) for 45 minutes Plus. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or bad thing, it felt good to beat him though.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

You know what sticks with me when playing FF7 remake?
Belts, and how Nomura could be obsessed by them and other fashion above practicality thingies.

Have enjoyed it so far and i'm now in last chapter.

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
I must of been fighting the hell house boss (tournament boss) for 45 minutes Plus. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or bad thing, it felt good to beat him though.

Can't say I was ofing the same hard time against the Hell House.

Hell House is another thumbs down. Feels very much like a gimmicky Kingdom Hearts Boss fight, but unlike Kingdom Hearts, spells are not tied to character. This means If you go in without the needed Materia, that fight will go on forever! It then continues the trend of making some of the party worthless by being out of distance or having shields up that reduce their damage to practically nothing. In the future I hope to see bosses designed in a way that multiple strategies can stagger them; Heresexample: Hell House has a charge skill, that if it misses, he charges into a wall and is stunned, how any attacks during this time greatly increases stagger gauge? I just feelin bosses in this ; feels like spectacle >>> game.

Xxain said:
Hell House is another thumbs down. Feels very much like a gimmicky Kingdom Hearts Boss fight, but unlike Kingdom Hearts, spells are not tied to character. This means If you go in without the needed Materia, that fight will go on forever! It then continues the trend of making some of the party worthless by being out of distance or having shields up that reduce their damage to practically nothing. In the future I hope to see bosses designed in a way that multiple strategies can stagger them; Heresexample: Hell House has a charge skill, that if it misses, he charges into a wall and is stunned, how any attacks during this time greatly increases stagger gauge? I just feelin bosses in this ; feels like spectacle >>> game.

That's the same with any battle system that has enemies with weaknesses. If you don't know their weakness, or don't have what it takes to exploit it, then it will take longer to dispose of it.

And you should always make sure you have at least one of each element materia slotted. Basic Materia 101.

This rant of yours seems like a nitpick more than an actual negative from the game itself. Or maybe you don't like when you don't breeze through the game unchallenged...

Hynad said:
Xxain said:

That's the same with any battle system that has enemies with weaknesses. If you don't know their weakness, or don't have what it takes to exploit it, then it will take longer to dispose of it.

And you should always make sure you have at least one of each elements materia slotted. Basic Materia 101.

This rant of yours seems like a nitpick more than an actual negative from the game itself. Or maybe you don't like when you don't breeze through the game unchallenged...

I have no complaints about the challenge of the bosses, but the length of the bosses. They already take long even with the desired Matera, but without it's even longer. We have user in here that stated he was fighting Hell House for like 45 minutes; I bet you its because he did'nt have all the right Materia. 

On to bold: The Materia system has always been about customization. Setting up characters you your liking. Not having an enemies weakness in the original or any RPG for that matter, does not triple the fight length. The Stagger system, while I like it, goes against that customizability and it feels punishing for having the right spells equipped. I tend not have my Cloud focus on magic (purple on yellow 90%) and with the limited slots and increase of new and effective Materia its not the best to always have slots filled by magic that might be needed.

Staggers limits the approaches to effectively beating an enemy when it should be the opposite.

Last edited by Xxain - on 22 April 2020

Currently finishing up Chapter 11 but words on Chapter 9.

WalMarket has been the highlight thus of Remake for me. A lot of effort and passion went into this scenario. By the time Aerith FINALLY got her dress on I was ready to move on from Chapter. And then honeybee happended; and the entire wait was waaaay more than just worth it. I looove that the tutorial before the "big one" made it out to be Cloud is so incompetent that that is what he thinks it is... and then we get the real think. It was Awkward, but ooooh sooo captivating. Then he continues for a round two. Cloud is a fuckin champ. The Remake has taken a Ionic moment as has outdone itself. The originals moment is nothing compared the Remake.