By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Alright. Now replace Switch with Stadia and read it. Do you still agree with your statement?

Not remotely an apples to apples comparison, Stadia's a service, not a console, and Google has vastly more money and are in a position where it's much more likely they'll be purchasing support. And maybe it is worthwhile for third parties to support Stadia, that is ultimately irrelevant to Switch owners buying third party games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
GProgrammer said:

I dont think people realize how unprofitable games genreally are, most games do not make a profit

While this is a true statement in a general sense, if including every video game ever published from the heydays of Newgrounds flash games to the modern Itch.io and the thousands upon thousands of mobile game clones, if you restrict it to video games with a retail/physical release then it's a decidedly false statement.

Im not including flash etc games, only proper video games. Currently I work for one of the largest 20 video game publishers and have worked for a few others over the last decade and a half.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_games

As a hit-driven business, the great majority of the video game industry's software releases have been commercial failures. In the early 21st century, industry commentators made these general estimates: 10% of published games generated 90% of revenue;[1] that around 3% of PC games and 15% of console games have global sales of more than 100,000 units per year, with even this level insufficient to make high-budget games profitable;[2] and that about 20% of games make any profit.

Look at the number of games here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games_(A%E2%80%93F)

How many of these 3rd party games have you even heard of?

I do agree with flash/mobile its even worse but it certainly is not release game on console = profit, I dont know if the figure is 20% games make a profit, all I know from my experience is its less than half actually make money

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Alright. Now replace Switch with Stadia and read it. Do you still agree with your statement?

This has literally nothing to do with this thread. Last time i checked Stadia had zero presence on COMG!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Solid day for Pikmin 3, good to see. The rest of the releases that are ~10 days from release are not doing well at all though.

Will be interesting to see if Atelier Ryza 2 does better on Switch or PS4; the former has the advantage of being much more popular in Japan, but the PS base seems to have a strong preferences for these type of anime games.

Around the Network

Yeah, they probably consider Mario Kart Live an accessory moreso than a game it seems.

And in terms of Ryza 2, it's really strange that COMG doesn't have a listing for the PS4 LE version, so it's hard to get a good grasp of things. I'd definitely say that I expect a more even split with physical retail this time between PS4+5 and Switch instead of 70/30. 

EDIT: Well, PS5 physical release has been canceled for Ryza 2, so it'll just be the PS4 and Switch SKUs now.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 19 October 2020

MHR is trotting along so far

How many points did Pikmin 3 originally reach?

So Pikmin 3 Deluxe will fall short of that result. But COMG! has shrunk quite a bit in the meantime, so on the sales side, it could actually do better in the end.