By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your fave RPG ever?

Jabba89 said:
HoloDust said:

I've seen this opionion many times, personally I find TW3 to be a borderline case with just enough elements not to transition fully into pseudo RPGs like Horizon and AC:O, thought it certainly provided template for such.

These games definitely are RPGs, I think the problem is that when someone used to say RPG it was taken to mean JRPG.  Given that the RPG genre has evolved and has a lot of subgenres it may have been better to be a little more specific so we were comparing apples with apples.

I don't find much value in comparing The Witcher 3 with Final Fantasy VII with Fallout 3.

Not sure when it used to mean JRPG by default...I grew up as predominently computer gamer, started playing pen&paper DnD and DnD inspired RPGs on C64 and Amiga in 80s...not the best system in existence (never was, by a long shot), but it's by far the most influential and widespread system that set way back in 70s what RPGs are (with 5th edition it's probably currently on peak of its mass market popularity, due to mainstream media exposure and YT shows like Critical Role).

And, no, Horizon and AC:O are definitely not RPGs, they are action-adventures with few RPG alike mechanisms - thus pseudo (or quasi) RPGs. Nothing wrong with that, actually some 20 years ago, during 1st renaissance of CRPGs, I was advocating for such hybrid genre - it is more accessible to maisntream audience, and there's reason why AAA are quickly adopting it. Alas, if only more proper action-RPGs were made along them...

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Unless you count text adventure games. The first video game RPG I believe is Ultima in 1981. A western developed game that is turn-based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth:_World_of_Doom

Surprised it was even on Apple at that time.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Leynos said:

Unless you count text adventure games. The first video game RPG I believe is Ultima in 1981. A western developed game that is turn-based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth:_World_of_Doom

Surprised it was even on Apple at that time.

That one is also from Richard Garriott, creator of said Ultima, arguably the most influential RPG (according to some, franchise, period) in video gaming history.

HoloDust said:

That one is also from Richard Garriott, creator of said Ultima, arguably the most influential RPG (according to some, franchise, period) in video gaming history.

Aye. It was his first shot at it. Another 2 more years and we'd get Ultima. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Persona 5
FF7 original
Tales of Vesperia
Ni No Kuni
Kingdom Hearts HD Remake
Valkyria Chronicles

Around the Network

FF7
Dragon Quest XI
FF12
Dragon Quest VIII
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni no Kuni

Leynos said:

Unless you count text adventure games. The first video game RPG I believe is Ultima in 1981. A western developed game that is turn-based. These early games are more true to the term RPG. You are a blank avatar and choose a class that has varied stats. Inspired by DnD. The earliest Japanese role-playing games were action RPGs like Dragon Slayer from Falcom. Inventory and limits to how many items you can carry. Combat is as mentioned action. Top-down view with a mini-map of the dungeon. Japan's role-playing games then started using the bump system. Popular in many games like Ys and Hydlide. Our playable character started having some character to them. Like a name.  We started getting games from the west Ultima sequels similar to previous titles then other series like Wizardry and Bards Tale and more were first-person dungeon crawling games with turn-based combat. Then late 80s come and Dragon Quest happens. Changing the face of the genre. The first game that people most commonly associate what a JRPG is. Soon after Final Fantasy. After this most Japanese RPGs became turn-based. Not call tho. At some point, WRPGs became more associated with action games and me dunno when that happened. Tho recent years it seems more classic WRPGs are trending again with Divinity Original sin spun off from the Devine Divinity series. Pillars of Eternity and such.

RPGs are like rock n roll. They have a hundred plus sub-genres. Hard to just lump them in 2 categories. CRPGs. WRPGs. JRPGs. ARPGs. SRPGS. TRPGs and so on and so on. Guardian Heroes even qualifies as an RPG. Beat em up RPG? It has full stats that you choose like an RPG. Story choices like western RPGs. Anime like a JRPG. Dragon's Crown feels like Diablo from a side view perspective in some ways (tho also a successor to DnD Arcade games) RPGs have a lot of loose definitions because again like a rock they have so many subcategories.

There's an even earlier one than that or its predecessor Akalabeth: World of Doom.

Temple of Apshai was released in 1979 by Epyx. It was one of the first computer RPGs and was in fact a hybrid of computer RPGs and pen-and-paper RPGs. The descriptions of the dungeons and treasures were referenced in-game by treasure and room numbers. The included game book provided those descriptions in the way a dungeon master would in a PnP game. I've actually played this game, though since it was a copy pirated by my uncle, I didn't have the included documentation.

Skyrim

Final Fantasy 12

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X.

Final Fantasy VI

Suikoden 2

Dragon Quest XI

I've also gotten into Final Fantasy 14 recently and it may go up there with my favorites soon.

barneystinson69 said:
ME Series (I actually liked Andromeda :P), Fallout 2, Fallout NV, The Witcher 3, Borderlands 2, Fable 2.

I stand shoulder to shoulder with you on Andromeda.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

You know what I hate about these lists too many favorites and I'm sure to forget some so to all those rpg's out there that I neglect to mention I apologise.
Persona 4G
Parasite Eve
SMT Nocturne
KOTOR 1-2
Vagrant Story
Shadow Hearts - Shadow Hearts Covenant
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Chrono Trigger
Arcanum
Rogue Galaxy
Grandia 1-2
Jade Empire
DQ VIII
FF 6-7
Diablo 2
Suikoden 1-2

Last edited by mjk45 - on 30 May 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot