By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your fave RPG ever?

Dunno about all time but def some of my faves last gen were Kingdoms of Amalur. Dragon Age Origins. Deus Ex Human Revolution. The Last Story and Blue Dragon.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Fallout 3 and 4, and Pokemon. Those are the only ones I've played and enjoyed. RPGs are maybe my least favorite genre, because they tend to focus more on story than gameplay, which just isn't my style. I do eventually want to play a Kingdom Hearts or Fire Emblem game, but that hasn't happened yet.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

FFIX by a long shot.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well, this is the hardest question ever to answer, my favorites are:
-Deus Ex
-Fallout 2
-Strife
-Star Wars: KOTOR
-Super Mario RPG
-Chrono Trigger

Honorable mentions are:
-Eartbound
-Final Fantasy IX
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Secret of Mana

"BONUS" Favorite unofficial modded game:
-Brutal HeXen RPG

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 09 April 2020

Star Ocean 2- By far my favorite game in the series. Two planets with two fully realized over worlds (In the JRPG format). It also features an incredibly complex item creation system and an excellent action oriented battle system. Rena and Claude's story will never be forgotten.

I'm surprised this has barely been mentioned, one of the best JRPG's.

Around the Network

I don't rate many of the newer JRPG's that highly on my list and it seems to be a trend with everyone.

My top 5 would be:
Suikoden II
FFVII
Star Ocean the second story
LOD
Wild Arms

Bonus: Dark Chronicle, I think it may have been called Dark Cloud 2 in other territories.

CHRONO trigger and suikoden 2 are still the benchmarks of the genre. The first xenoblade came close, but not quite there.

I would say how awesome it would be if CHRONO trigger was remade, but square would just ruin it. They haven’t made anything good in ages.

Jabba89 said:

Star Ocean 2- By far my favorite game in the series. Two planets with two fully realized over worlds (In the JRPG format). It also features an incredibly complex item creation system and an excellent action oriented battle system. Rena and Claude's story will never be forgotten.

I think it might be because most people haven't played the game. It came out at the peak for the JRPG golden age and might have gotten lost in the shuffle for some. I was a sophomore in High School then, and was lucky enough to have a part time job, so I could buy RPGs pretty much every two weeks. SO2 got very good but not stellar reviews, I was still enticed by its premise so I made sure to get it. I was greatly surprised by how good it was. 

IMO the Star Ocean series never really got close to it afterwards. SO3 was good, but I didn't feel it, especially with that big plot twist in the ending. SO2 is definitely one of the great RPGs, I think its worthy of a remaster.

Chazore said:
SammyGiireal said:

Only one person has resorted to cursing, and name calling. Ironically, the one person who complained about this forum not being "twitter". This wasn't a thread of agreement or disagreement. It is a discussion in which you are asked to list a set of your own personal favorite games in a genre, something that you have yet to do.

And yet it has already veered off course, thanks to your continued last word on a subject that isn't a part of the OP.

Also, I told you before as to why I didn't list, but I'm not ehre to adhere to what you find acceptable/not accessible. 

No offense, but let’s be real here. The thread specifically asked you to name your favourite RPGs and the only thing you did is diss on JRPGs to say you prefer WRPGs without even naming one single title. In a thread where most comments before yours listed JRPG titles.

From the get go, it looks like you wanted to stir shit and bait people.

Last edited by Hynad - on 08 April 2020

Jabba89 said:

I admit I need to finish it. Had the game forever.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!