By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your fave RPG ever?

FF7 - Great gameplay, great story. Which is why I'm not buying FF7 Remake, it's like they thought all of what they had was wrong and just changed it. Different gameplay, different story.
FF8 - Still great gameplay, great magic system and the card game.
FF9 - Because FF9, nearly flawless game.
FF12 - Not as FF as the rest but a great game in itself, the voice acting is great, characters well done and clever magic system (prefer the original over Zodiac).

Dragon Age - series in general, love it, the story and lore of the world they built is great, so much so I hate Solas. The party combat is something I've always liked.

X-men Legends - 1 mainly, 2 lacked and never liked Marvel versions. X-men legends was great and well worth anyone's time.

Valkrie Profile 2 - Actually took me 2 goes to get into this but second time I researched how to 'get characters' and was able to get one and level in a way that made it more enjoyable instead of just stuck at a certain dungeon and in the end I really enjoyed it. Really liked the plot twist in the story too,

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Golden Sun/Golden Sun Lost Age. Great turn based combat and class/summon system via Djinn, absolutely crazy graphics for a GBA, stellar soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba and it even has dungeons and puzzles like Zelda (although here you use psinergy (magic) instead of tools and items to solve them). It's one of the few RPGs that I have replayed multiple times despite their lenght. The story is nothing to brag about, but it's interesting enough.

Wizardry 8: The Swan song of the series, and of classical cRPGs as a whole
Might & Magic 4&5: World of Xeen: A giant World to explore and fight through, beatiful 2D graphics and great ending of the Sheltem series.
Baldur's Gate series: The best AD&D adaptation yet. Waiting for part 3 to come...
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords: Too bad Obsidian wasn't allowed to finish this game. It's already a masterpiece, but could have become a real piece of art had the publisher allowed them to finish the game properly and not get Christmas rushed.
Earthbound: The best RPG for the SNES
Dragon Age: Origins: Bioware at it's best.
Fallout 2: The best one of the series. Also the silliest one, but that's part of it's charm
Secret of Mana: Close second, but still second.
Jagged Alliance 2:Honorable mention since it's more tactical than anything else, same goes for...

Fire Emblem Tellius (Path of Radiance/Radiance Dawn): Best and most realistic story, showing all facettes of a war.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 08 April 2020

Leynos said:

Implying all JRPGs are generic and turn-based is pretty much a hot take and ignorant

That's pretty much a cool story, bro.

Still seeing Western RPG's as my fave, and I don't see generic or turn based JRPG's changing that for me anytime soon. 

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apshai (1979)

Last edited by Chazore - on 08 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Leynos said:

Implying all JRPGs are generic and turn-based is pretty much a hot take and ignorant

That's pretty much a cool story, bro.

Still seeing Western RPG's as my fave, and I don't see generic or turn based JRPG's changing that for me anytime soon. 

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apshai (1979)

Is your only purpose in this forum to have hot takes and derail?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Final Fantasy 7-9
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Ni No Kuni
Persona 5
Nier Automata

Leynos said:

uhh no?.

I simply stated Western RPG's are my fave, and because you didn't agree with it and labelled my entire opinion as a "hot take", you've decided to call it a non opinion.

So no.

But it seems like you have personal beef with me, to which I'd suggest you drop it now.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Leynos said:

uhh no?.

I simply stated Western RPG's are my fave, and because you didn't agree with it and labelled my entire opinion as a "hot take", you've decided to call it a non opinion.

So no.

But it seems like you have personal beef with me, to which I'd suggest you drop it now.

Personal preference is one thing but it is a hot take when you shoot down an entire genre as "generic" and "turn based" It's vastly ignorant and you know it. Besides this topic isn't about driveby posts like yours. You gotta list em. You know you had a hot take to derail. You know it was a driveby. No one else did a driveby bashing and praising of another. Just you.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Personal preference is one thing but it is a hot take when you shoot down an entire genre as "generic" and "turn based" It's vastly ignorant and you know it. Besides this topic isn't about driveby posts like yours. You gotta list em. You know you had a hot take to derail. You know it was a driveby. No one else did a driveby bashing and praising of another. Just you.

Hot take is your own decision based on how you feel and view me as. I said I prefer Western RPG's, which is my opinion, my own decision, not yours to dismantle and take away, via a childish card like "hot take". This isn't era, this isn't Twitter either. 

I will say this one more time (take the hint); you have personal beef with me, to which I'd suggest you drop it now.