By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 28 March 2020

trunkswd said:
xMetroid said:
Crazy numbers. Can't wait for NPD and Nintendo reports. Think it might have done a bit better in the US but it's really hard to tell with the shortages, it's purely optimism from my part lmao.

Good work :)

Switch is getting hard to find, but there are enough Switch Lite out there to help keep sales high.

Exactly ! This pandemic is really helping out the Lite not being a medium flop since Nintendo was expecting higher numbers from it and it was already starting to decline.

Now i don't think there is much stock for it either.

Around the Network

Well there it goes again. The Switch is out of control. If they somehow get enough shipments out, I could see it doing 300k+ for many weeks to come.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

xMetroid said:
trunkswd said:

Switch is getting hard to find, but there are enough Switch Lite out there to help keep sales high.

Exactly ! This pandemic is really helping out the Lite not being a medium flop since Nintendo was expecting higher numbers from it and it was already starting to decline.

Now i don't think there is much stock for it either.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Well there it goes again. The Switch is out of control. If they somehow get enough shipments out, I could see it doing 300k+ for many weeks to come.

It all depends on the stock situation for the Switch worldwide, as well as how much worse COVID-19 gets as the number of confirmed cases keeps going up and quickly. Luckily people can still buy consoles online and have them shipped.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

So the switch sold 4.6 million for the first three months in the year. Does anyone know how this compare to the switch previous years and other consoles?

MasonADC said:
So the switch sold 4.6 million for the first three months in the year. Does anyone know how this compare to the switch previous years and other consoles?

Actually 1 more week of quarter 1. Looking at our numbers and adding up what we have for January-March 2020 Switch has sold 4,558,185 units. Last year it sold 3,284,820 units during Q1.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

We have some official figures out of the UK for 2020. Well percent up / down. Switch is up by a third in 2020 when compared to the same period in 2019, X1 is up 10% and PS4 is down (No % given). Overall hardware market is down just 6% for the year. 

I've adjusted our UK figures to match. Give me a few minutes and I will have the weekly hardware breakdown article updated. 

Switch Sales Up By More Than A Third in the UK in 2020, Xbox One Up by 10%, PS4 is Down

GamesIndustry Publisher Christopher Dring via Twitter has revealed some sales information for video game hardware in the UK. 

He says sales for video game hardware were down up until mid-March by a "fierce" amount, but has since seen a boost in sales. This is likely due to people staying home from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and for the releases of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Doom Eternal.

The overall hardware market is now down by just six percent year-on-year through the end of March. This is not something that is usually seen in a year leading up to the release of new consoles.

"Such has been the rise in console sales in the UK these past few weeks, the overall hardware market is down by just 6% year-on-year," said Dring. "A rare feat in a new console year."

"This year up until Mid-March the decline was fierce," he added in a followup Tweet.

Dring added that Xbox One has now sold more in the UK in 2020 than it did during the same period in 2019. Xbox One sales are up 10 percent year-on-year and Nintendo Switch sales are up over a third. He says that PlayStation 4 sales are still down. 

"Xbox One has sold more in the UK this year than it managed during the same period last year," said Dring. "Overall this year, Switch is up by more than a third. Xbox One is up by just over 10% and PS4 is down."

Read the article on the UK figures here.

Bloody hell, imagine how high Switch would be without shortages.

PS4 lower than I expected at just 90k above Xbox One. Usually it's further ahead than that.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Bloody hell, imagine how high Switch would be without shortages.

PS4 lower than I expected at just 90k above Xbox One. Usually it's further ahead than that.

Got some numbers out of the UK. Xbox One is actually up 10% for 2020, with most of that due to sales for the last few weeks. While PS4 sales are confirmed to be down, and Switch sales up by a third. Overall hardware market in the UK is down 6%. 

So if Switch sales are up 33% and Xone sales are up by 10% YTD, the Ps4 must be down a fairly substantial amount, if it counterbalances that, into an actual 6% drop all told, exclusively with its sales figures!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Seems weird that Xbone would rise but PS4 fall, wonder what's causing that?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.