By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which Of The Two Will You Be Buying?

PS5 Only 60 59.41%

XBX Only 18 17.82%

Both 8 7.92%

Sticking With Switch 14 13.86%

Sticking With PS4/XBO 1 0.99%

Total:101

PS5 because in the end we all know it's all about the games, and Sony's 1st and 3rd party exclusives have always delivered.

But if MS can secure a new exclusive Dino Crisis game (and not make it stupid like DC3) buying XBSX would definitely be on my radar!! ...or maybe just wait to see if it'll port to PS5 lol

Around the Network

Anyone can make a powerful console, you need to convince people you're going to have the games output which they did not have the past 7 years.

Takes a while to build that trust to invest in that platform.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Intrinsic said:
I find it hard to believe that anyone that has a PS4 and has been buying games digitally... would abandon that library and jump in with another platform. 

And yet, at the same time, a lot of people are constantly telling anyone that will listen about how backwards compatibility isn't really that important, because it's not like they're throwing out their old systems anyway.

So which is it? Are people who don't decide to buy into the next iteration of their current platform "abandoning" their games library, or is backwards compatibility a big deal?

Angelus said:
Intrinsic said:
I find it hard to believe that anyone that has a PS4 and has been buying games digitally... would abandon that library and jump in with another platform. 

And yet, at the same time, a lot of people are constantly telling anyone that will listen about how backwards compatibility isn't really that important, because it's not like they're throwing out their old systems anyway.

So which is it? Are people who don't decide to buy into the next iteration of their current platform "abandoning" their games library, or is backwards compatibility a big deal?

We have the data for that.

Although some people like the BC it hardly affects sales of the consoles

You may think it is odd, but people really buy new consoles to play new games.

Can you show a single console that gained most of their sales due to having BC or lost because it didn`t?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Angelus said:

I don't think it's odd at all. I'm glad we agree that Intrinsic's point holds no merit. 

Around the Network
Angelus said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't think it's odd at all. I'm glad we agree that Intrinsic's point holds no merit. 

People will be glad that they keep their friends, trophies and may play one or two games with improved assets during the first couple months of the gen, but yes there is no evidence that BC would swing many buyers one way or another.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

d21lewis said:
eva01beserk said:

this might be the biggest factor now that you mention it. Who would want to abandoned that huge collection they have build over the years? Going back and play them enhanced. 

The answer to your question is "Vgchartz users". When XBO announced backwards compatibility, the overwhelming response was "I bought a PS4 to play PS4 games. If you want to play old games, keep your old console. BC doesn't matter."

The issue with that like many others pointed out back then, MS anounced BC 2 years after the consoles where anounced and not all games but like 1 or 2 games at a time that up to this date is still a minor part of the 360 catalog and almost none of the original xbox catalog. After 2 years sony and third partys where really pumping out good games frequently while MS droped the little they already had. So at that point BC did not matter cuz there was so much more new stuff to play.

Now look what they are both doing now, they will both have 100% BC on day one. As of now we have no idea of the games coming out for next gen and sony just probably has the best line up of any year before. So who know if early next gen sucks, but untill then we can hold on on enhanced games. But I garante you than in 2 years everyone will already have plenty of blockbusters, eclusives and multyplats and BC will more than likely fade into the wind. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

goopy20 said:
Chazore said:

Considering how IGN is but a fraction of the entire userbases out there for both systems, this doesn't surprise me. IGN also has more using PS4's than Xbox/PC/Switch.

It'd be more interesting to see multiple parties holding multiple twitter polls with that question, then tallying them all up after a couple of months. I think we'd see different results than what IGN presents. You also have to factor in the fact that MS fumbled the gen early in, and Sony basically had the gen on lockdown, mindshare and all.

The 360 was a pretty big success while the ps3 was struggling hard at the beginning, though. At least until MS dropped the ball and went completely crazy with Kinect, that is. This gen things took a complete u-turn but I don't think the hardware or the terrible marketing at launch caused MS this gen. It's more the fact that MS has been pretty lackluster when it comes to their exclusives. Hopefully this will change next gen but just look at how we're closing current gen. It's basically: Dreams, Nioh 2, FF7, TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima Vs. Halo Infinite. 

edit, quote messed up. Forum is doodoo

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

360 winning from November 2005 to losing by a couple million around what, September 2013 with the next gen starting in November 2013 is not a loss. That’s 99% of the gens relevance in 360s favour. And 360 didn’t need Japan as a crutch either to get that virtual tie. 

We have discussed this numerous time.

Launch aligned PS3 was always ahead of X360. Year shipment on same years I think only one time X360 outsold PS3. And also PS3 ended ahead.

If we were to use your concept them X1 was winning against Switch for almost this whole gen.

And as I’ve told you I don’t believe in aligned launches because that’s rewriting history and making competition fair when it is not. The gen started November 2005. 
Nintendo does their own thing I wouldn’t use them in a strict Xbox vs PS argument.

I know the end results, but I view it as a brand victory for Xbox and an embarrassing win for PS if there is even such a thing. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:
Angelus said:

Can you show a single console that gained most of their sales due to having BC or lost because it didn`t?

Agreed.

Sony has proven that BC isn't a major necessity as the few on the internet are blowing it up to be. 

Remember when PS3 had PS1 & PS2 BC and then the slim PS3 removed it?  The internet was furious but it didn't stop the PS3 from selling millions more and the complaints stopped shortly after as well.

And now this gen:  PS4 sales (no BC) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox One sales (fully BC) 

Heck, even Nintendo's home console didnt have BC until the Wii with GC games, and the Wii U with Wii games, and now it has stopped.   

BC is a nice feature, but it's not a deal breaker if a system doesn't include it.

Last edited by V-r0cK - on 31 March 2020