By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the SSD is a big deal for PS5, Series X.

padib said:

Pemalite said:

padib said:
Why is an SSD a big deal with the next consoles? It's been around for an eternity and is not particularly expensive. Franckly it should've been defacto in the PS4/X1

500GB-1TB SSD's were allot more expensive in 2013.

I would have rather the Playstation 4 and Xbox One actually include a 7200rpm mechanical disk rather than a crappy, slow 5400rpm drive that offers 40-50MB/s of sustained sequential reads... Bonus is that pretty much every USB 3.0 external hard drive was an upgrade.

SSDs back then were approx 70c per gig, rapidly declining in price. It didn't have to be 500GB, that's a lot of space,  a 150GB SSD could've worked in a starter pack. At ~100$, it's a good design move to ensure a big jump in data access speeds. Even another alternative: a 150GB SSD + 420GB 7200rpm drive would've been great.

My point is just that the PS's SSD is making noise, when it is such an easy upgrade nowadays and honestly barely needs to be mentioned as a feature. It's to be assumed nowadays that machines use SSDs or flash memory to propel software.

And Mechanical HDD's were 0.08 cents per gig verses 68 cents per gig on an SSD.

It's clear why they opted for a mechanical drive to start with.

A 150GB~ SSD wouldn't have been viable... Remember the OS/Reserved portion of the drive is a total 138GB on the Xbox One and the PS4 took a big chunk for the OS as well.

If you are suggesting a cache drive... That would have increased the bill of materials substantially, suddenly you need more interfaces to drives on the SoC/Chipset, more motherboard traces, more power delivery and you increase the complexity of the system which can result in more failure points theoretically.

Microsoft did release an Xbox One variant with an SSHD for what it was worth...

But in my opinion the 8th gen should have used 7200rpm drives from the outset with 120MB/s transfer rates rather than absolutely terrible 5400rpm drives which might do 50MB/s on a good day.

DonFerrari said:

Yes it is, even X1X being premium didn't put SSD on it.

And devs when talking to Cerny about what they wanted most being SSD but knowing it was impossible because consoles are made under very tight budgets (reason why they also didn't increase RAM significantly).

Even with the Xbox One X, it was a missed opportunity not to include a much faster 7200rpm HDD... Microsoft touted an upgrade to the SATA interface as some "new measure" to unlock extra performance, but that wasn't it... It helped during burst transfers which occurs when reading data from the Hard Drives Ram, but that was about it.

It was the faster Seagate 5400RPM drive that almost doubled sequential reads/writes in the Xbox One X, Microsoft could have taken it a step further still.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
padib said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes let's ignore that designing a game for SSD is very different than using SSD on a game designed for HDD. And yes all devs are silly people for being happy about it but you know better?

I don't know what technical world you live in where games are designed for SSDs. You know that SSDs and spindle drives have been swappable from the beginning. Even an SSD plugged directly into the motherboard doesn't require custom development.

Games are designed per specs. So there is a big difference between developing with 35Mb/s versus 2500 or 5000Mb/s. If you think that will only make loading time faster you would be wrong.

Pemalite said:
padib said:

SSDs back then were approx 70c per gig, rapidly declining in price. It didn't have to be 500GB, that's a lot of space,  a 150GB SSD could've worked in a starter pack. At ~100$, it's a good design move to ensure a big jump in data access speeds. Even another alternative: a 150GB SSD + 420GB 7200rpm drive would've been great.

My point is just that the PS's SSD is making noise, when it is such an easy upgrade nowadays and honestly barely needs to be mentioned as a feature. It's to be assumed nowadays that machines use SSDs or flash memory to propel software.

And Mechanical HDD's were 0.08 cents per gig verses 68 cents per gig on an SSD.

It's clear why they opted for a mechanical drive to start with.

A 150GB~ SSD wouldn't have been viable... Remember the OS/Reserved portion of the drive is a total 138GB on the Xbox One and the PS4 took a big chunk for the OS as well.

If you are suggesting a cache drive... That would have increased the bill of materials substantially, suddenly you need more interfaces to drives on the SoC/Chipset, more motherboard traces, more power delivery and you increase the complexity of the system which can result in more failure points theoretically.

Microsoft did release an Xbox One variant with an SSHD for what it was worth...

But in my opinion the 8th gen should have used 7200rpm drives from the outset with 120MB/s transfer rates rather than absolutely terrible 5400rpm drives which might do 50MB/s on a good day.

DonFerrari said:

Yes it is, even X1X being premium didn't put SSD on it.

And devs when talking to Cerny about what they wanted most being SSD but knowing it was impossible because consoles are made under very tight budgets (reason why they also didn't increase RAM significantly).

Even with the Xbox One X, it was a missed opportunity not to include a much faster 7200rpm HDD... Microsoft touted an upgrade to the SATA interface as some "new measure" to unlock extra performance, but that wasn't it... It helped during burst transfers which occurs when reading data from the Hard Drives Ram, but that was about it.

It was the faster Seagate 5400RPM drive that almost doubled sequential reads/writes in the Xbox One X, Microsoft could have taken it a step further still.

Sure I agree that 7200RPM would have been a smaller increase in cost for a very good increase in performance. My point was that even with X1X premium design they still cheaped out on HDD, so nope SDD wasn't really an option.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
DonFerrari said:

Games are designed per specs. So there is a big difference between developing with 35Mb/s versus 2500 or 5000Mb/s. If you think that will only make loading time faster you would be wrong.

What make you the person to know who's right and who's wrong? If you're wrong, what should I care that you cling onto false ideas and hopes?

Not a single game engine is designed in function of the hard drive, if you have any facts to back up the opposite, please share your mystical knowledge.

Game engines are designed against graphical specs, cpu and ram. If you have some kind of revelation regarding hard drives and how they are involved in the development of game engines, then you might just break the internet.

Watch Mark Cerny presentation and you may understand.

Basically streaming assets based on 50Mb/s versus 5000Mb/s totally changes how a game can be made. Will everyone take advantage to change game core elements? No. But will their programming get a lot easier on memory management when there is such a big improvement in the memory? Sure yes.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

padib said:
the-pi-guy said:

>Of course the SSD would be able to run things much faster

And running faster will allow differences in game design.  

>The disk is read via IO.

Correct and how quickly the IO can fill up the RAM poses a limitation.  

Btw, I've taken classes on operating systems, computer organization so I know about this stuff. 

I have a diploma in Software Engineering, and am the owner of a software development company. I've worked in network administration also for a few years. I know you don't want to start a cred war, but if we're here then we're here.

I'll try to calm my tone, because this isn't about e-peen. It's about truth, and we both want to see the truth.

So, the integration of SSDs doesn't change game design. It simply removes the past obstacles to game design so devs can finally focus on things that actually matter, like the interfaces, artificial intelligence, assets and general overal quality, and produce games faster. But it is an easy upgrade, just plug it in and it removes the limitations!

The disk is read to RAM, so of course the SSD will remove the need to pre-emptively cache the data to work around the limitations of HDDs. That's not the question.

The question is do devs need to tailor code to take advantage of the SSD. The answer is NO.

When you buy Xbox series X and change its SSD to HDD and make the games work that way I'll try and believe in you that SDD isn't really making anything on game design.

You really broke any likely of taken serious when you were expecting PS4 and X1 to have SSD because it only costed 67 cents per Gb.

padib said:
the-pi-guy said:

> integration of SSDs doesn't change game design. It simply removes the past obstacles to game design

Thats what we have been saying this entire time......  

That's been the whole discussion.... 

Removing obstacles to game design changes game design.  

>The question is do devs need to tailor code to take advantage of the SSD

Can you point to where someone said otherwise?  

You (and Don) were arguing that the SSD allows things that could not be done before, but it's not true.

I won't go through the whole convo, but first post by Don:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/reply.php?id=242074&quote=9127046

Everything could be done before, they were just either too slow, or they needed to be developed with crutches. The SSD simply REMOVES the obstacles, but no custom code or special magic code is involved to get anything done.

That's my point, it's a plug and play upgrade, and it doesn't require any applause! It has existed in PCs and Macs for years and is an obvious easy evolution. No need for a conference to explain how the SSD makes magic work, it's an obvious improvement with little engineering required.

Compare that to improvements in CPUs, GPUs and RAM, which require a lot of engineering to get real increases in performance and which game engines may exploit in a custom way, that is a true upgrade. THAT'S the discussion.

I`ll go with what profissional and senior developers are saying, and your sequential post prove exactly what we are saying that it will revolution the game design, you posted it yourself without reading?

And no one here said MS doesn`t have a good SSD solution, at most people are saying the one in PS5 is better, just as the GPU in PS5 isn`t bad but the one in Series X is better.

Around the Network

Just wait for the games to prove which console is superior... At the moment people are splitting hairs and just sticking to their guns.
Both machines are fantastic pieces of kit.

I know which console I would want for a game that pushes Ray Tracing... And I know which console I would want for an open world game.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Just wait for the games to prove which console is superior... At the moment people are splitting hairs and just sticking to their guns.
Both machines are fantastic pieces of kit.

I know which console I would want for a game that pushes Ray Tracing... And I know which console I would want for an open world game.

A PC =]

One of the modern examples of IO stutter and hard drive limitations where ssd does significant wonders is with the Jedi Fallen Order. It's gonna get much worse when the games arrive specifically built for next gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASZONr4-5k

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

the-pi-guy said:
padib said:

Isn't it already obvious? The X1's design is killing it on all fronts. The PS5 has integrated the SSD speed improvements into the API, but so does the XseriesX.

This fog, this business about the PS5's SSD is removing from the win in XseriesX's improvements in the GPU, CPU and RAM (GDDR6, also on the PS5), which are much more important after the baseline SSD upgrade which is an obvious improvement.

That's what bugs me about this buzz about the PS5's SSD.

They will both be certainly ready for open-world games, which are important titles on both platforms.

This thread is about the SSD's in both.  It's not solely praising the PS5.  

Multiplat games are almost certainly going to be superior on XSX, you can't have different designs for both systems.  

And I would point that both consoles are using RDNA2 for GPU and Zen 2 for CPU with GDDR6 for RAM, so neither is really inovating in this they are using the standard for when they release.

MS is pushing the envelope on the amount of CUs possible on the architecture while PS is pushing the frequency limit and for how long it can sustain it.

the-pi-guy said:
padib said:

My only question is, why must we go crazy on the SSD when, to me, it is a trivial upgrade.

Another thread on the PS5 speed versus the XseriesX power shows that people are pretending like the PS5 has some kind of advantage on that front when it doesn't, they will be very competitive on that front as they should be.

It's just as trivial an upgrade as the CPU, GPU, etc.  

And neither of them improved 100x gen over gen (well SSD did).

Also we have the very good Audio improvements that both consoles are looking for (I suspect Sony will be superior, but also irrelevant difference for most users).

I`m really looking to that "best version possible" for the BC, and their upscales on Xbox and see what Sony offering will do by comparison for current gen games (gens prior to that so far MS BC is far superior).