By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler has sold more than 2 million units!

curl-6 said:
routsounmanman said:

The funny thing is that it might actually make more profit that FFVIIR...

I'd be very interested to know the budget of those two games, the gulf must be enormous.

Octopath seems a good example of the principle that if you don't spend a fortune on your game, you can make a healthy amount of cash even on modest sales numbers, let alone 2 million.

My personal opinion, but OT seems to be a game that would have easily broke even with 500k.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

I'd be very interested to know the budget of those two games, the gulf must be enormous.

Octopath seems a good example of the principle that if you don't spend a fortune on your game, you can make a healthy amount of cash even on modest sales numbers, let alone 2 million.

My personal opinion, but OT seems to be a game that would have easily broke even with 500k.

I don't doubt you're right; I mean, Nintendo said BOTW needed to sell 2 million to turn a profit, didn't they? There's no way Octopath cost even close to as much as BOTW.

DonFerrari said:
ARamdomGamer said:
I would go bananas for FFVI with OT's style, but not in a good way.

Yep, you can have FFVIIR level of care and quality but for sheer nostalgia choose OT style, for me makes zero sense.

I should clarify that I wouldn't want Square to touch FFVI in either an OT style remake or with the scope of VIIR. The game is timeless and excellent enough as is.

ARamdomGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, you can have FFVIIR level of care and quality but for sheer nostalgia choose OT style, for me makes zero sense.

I should clarify that I wouldn't want Square to touch FFVI in either an OT style remake or with the scope of VIIR. The game is timeless and excellent enough as is.

Understood, yes some people preffer the classics to stay untouched.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nautilus said:
Leynos said:

Like a pop-up book version so yes it is. It would still be pretty much the exact same game, making it pointless. Looking the same but better looking isn't enough. OT as much as I loved it is still very much a 16 bit game in how it plays. They just have the camera in a tilt-shift. All you are asking there is Final Fantasy VI tilt-shift. OT is a fine game with some neat character but I cannot fully connect with them because they are a sprite.

With the power of PS5 and having an FFVI remake in full 3D with Amano's style fully realized leaping from the artbook into the game would look better than just about anything out there. Something no FF game has yet to do but now have the ability to with modern systems. That is the treatment the greatest Final Fantasy and one of the best RPGs ever made deserves, far more deserving than it's successor and I am not saying FF7 doesn't deserve it. Just the superior game deserves superior treatment. Add a lot more depth to the gameplay. Fully orchestrated OST. Fully voiced opera scene and more depth and emotion into the characters.  FFVI has so much emotion-driven story, blinking sprites no longer conveys what the vision for FFVI truly was.

Final Fantasy 1 that would be fine. It's simple enough and a remake like OT would add to it, just not VI.

Shut up

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!