By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

why, though? Xbox One X didn't make people flock to that console, so why would it matter here? PS4 and Xbox One had virtually identical specs at launch and both sold similar numbers over the first month or so, it wasn't until the disparity between games became evident that PS4 really pulled ahead. 

This is standard business 101. The Xbox x came too late to make a difference. However at the start of the gen it’s the core gamers that define the user base and less so the casuals that follow. You must factor in everything at play, both sides care about power and if you say otherwise....well at least my side is honest with what we want, there’s no false modesty at play ;)

That right there is your problem. you assume that just because I prefer Sony's offerings that this is a matter of us vs them, and it's just not. This console war mentality needs to go, and the moment you said 'my side' to describe microsoft was the moment I realized that the console wars are still going, it's just a cold war. 

I'm a veteran of the SNES/Genesis era, the PS1/N64 era, the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox Era, and the Wii/Ps3/360 era...I'm done with console wars. all I'm trying to do here is explain WHY Sony is doing what they're doing, and why it's worked and how the PS4 became so successful. All Xbox One needed to do was have good games, but that's where it failed and Sony excelled. Performance wise, the PS4 and Xbone were virtually identical until the half-gen upgrades, where Xbox got a significant boost but still didn't sell as well as the Ps4 Pro. Microsoft offered a more robust backwards compatible business model as well as Game Pass - which is one of the best values in the history of gaming - but it still wasn't enough. No amount of power, backwards compatibility, or....I guess that's really all Xbox had over PS4...will overthrow a great game library. 

IT's like going to a restaurant to get a lovely steak dinner. You can go to a place that has the biggest pile of fries and the loveliest side of veggies in the world, but it's the steak people care about. If one company has a bigger, juicier, meatier steak while the other has a bigger pile of fries and some garnish, the steak is what sells the meal. the garnish and more fries are nice, but they're not what people go there for. The steak is a robust library, the fries are operating power, and the garnish is backwards compatibility in this belaboured metaphor. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I expect nothing more than the specs. We almost 100% won't see the console itself. Just the tech stuff. In case of PS5 I'm more interested in what Sony has to offer in terms of RAM and storage. I think MS will have upperhand in CPU and GPU power because they already set a high bar for the console with what they announced. But on RAM and storage front, I think that Series X is a bit underwhelming so it would be interesting to see if Sony can offer something better here.

Runa216 said:
JEMC said:
Well, I hope they disclose the specs so we can compare both consoles, and know which are their strengths and weakness.

why, though? Xbox One X didn't make people flock to that console, so why would it matter here? PS4 and Xbox One had virtually identical specs at launch and both sold similar numbers over the first month or so, it wasn't until the disparity between games became evident that PS4 really pulled ahead. 

First month sales don't mean a thing in terms of a certain console reception. You know, Xbox One sold better in the week when One X than PS4 when PS4 Pro launched. And it was already after "disparity between games became evident" and PS4 dominated the market. First month sales are front loaded by loyal brand fans, they never reflect general public opinion.

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

Then why are you trying to make such a big deal out of it? My point was simply that this isn't Sony being reactionary - they always planned on releasing info around this time and the only reason Xbox got to it first was because Sony delayed. If anything, Microsoft was reacting to Sony's absence - if you wanna go that route of logic. Just saying, when you WANT to see something, it's not hard to twist the facts to suit your narrative. 

It’s ironic that you are twisting yourself. Sony delayed...Um ok? MS didn’t and went first. Sony announced a reveal event literally the day after MS showed theirs. That’s reactionary. Yes I get it Sony planned to do something around this time but you certainly can’t prove it was always going to be tomorrow.

MS went first, and Sony reacted. The didn’t scramble. Anything you say to the contrary is you trying to preserve some narrative you have. 

Sure, whatever you say. Keep telling yourself that and I'm going to excuse myself back to a reality that doesn't ignore what happened just a month or two ago. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

sales2099 said:

Series X is doing this. BC for all gens and the games even get automatic improvements. People care about BC so if MS can do it in theory so can Sony. Though the rumours only say PS4 BC

afaik Series X can simply play all games the X1 did, not more and that excludes quite a bit of the original Xbox and 360 library, but to be fair the most popular/loved and highest quality games have by an large been added to the bc library by now

it took MS nearly a whole gen to come this far and Sony would have to deal with tons more games if they'd want to provide BC the same way

Spoiler: More or less the same.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
So a day after MS reveals their specs Sony makes an Announcement that they are going to reveal theirs tomorrow...
Why not just drop the specs tomorrow without an announcement that they are going to do it?.. An announcement of an announcement xD .

Perhaps because basically all events are announced before they occur? So you ensure more people watching to hype.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

Let's put it this way:

Series X:

- Nice specs

- Backwards compatible (which is nice, since I never had an Xbox I could discover some gems... but the nostalgia and replayablity factor is not there)

- Only a few exclusives I'm actually interested on

PS5:

- Probably, nice specs

- Not backwards compatible (let's assume it isn't for the sake of comparison)

- Only a few exclusives I'm actually interested on

In this situation, Series X would be my obvious choice because from my perspective, they would be the same thing, but Xbox got a feature that allows me to play more games. Even if it is not as appealing as it would be if PS5 had it.

Now, if PS5 actually had bacwards compatibility, that would change everything, because I really want to be able to play any PS game in one device.

As for your second question, I'm well aware of that... but If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every game of certain importance is backwards compatible on Xbox One and in te future Series X. I know it's not just put the disc and play: you have to download the game. But the point stands: it's much more convinient than having to plug an old device. Also, maybe on PS5 you won't need to download the game. Who knows...

PS4 BC has already been confirmed like 1 year ago, the other BCs are rumored and actually most of the relevant games have received PS Classic or Remaster threatment.

So since you don't have the Xbox games to play on BC (you would need to buy all of them), then buying the classics or remaster would be similar case.

So it doesn't really make that much of a sense, unless you want to just buy to make a point that you want full BC for all gens that company had a console or it is just strange.

But I don't care much about backwards compatibility if it's just PS4. I want PS1, PS2, PS3 AND PS4. As for the PS Classic, that's an incredibly slim collection of games, some of which are actually worse than the original releases. The Jak and Daxter games for example run noticeably worse than their PS3 or PS2 counterparts. As for remasters, there are certain games I would rather play on their original versions for different reasons. Also, there are still classic PS games that are yet to recieve a remaster version on a home console (Dragon Quest VIII, The Simpsons Hit and Run come to mind)... or the remaster exists, but it was just a PS3/360/Vita release (Beyond Good and Evil, Persona 4 or the first two God of War come to mind).

The backwards compatibility on Series X, while as I pointed out in the previous comment wouldn't give me the nostalgia/inmediate value that its hypothetical PS5 counterpart would, it is still a very useful tool for discovering certain Xbox games that I didn't have the chance to play before. And while, as I said I would rather have the ability to replay PS games than discover some Xbox games, if PS5 doesn't have full backwards compatibility, I would choose Series X.

All of this being said, I don't know what you are trying to do here. I made myself very clear from the beginning that I really wish PS5 is fully backwards compatible because that's something I've dreamed for quite some time. I don't get why are you pushing me this far to explain my needs as a gamer. Are you just extremely curious or are you just trying to make someone feel stupid for liking whathever he wants?

Either way, I believe that's enough for this topic. Have a nice day.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps because basically all events are announced before they occur? So you ensure more people watching to hype.

Did MS announce the day before their reveal that they where going to do it?, if they did i honestly dont remember seeing it.

And does E3, directs, etc just happen without any announcement of date before? Didn't know.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Series X is doing this. BC for all gens and the games even get automatic improvements. People care about BC so if MS can do it in theory so can Sony. Though the rumours only say PS4 BC

You sure about that? If they did, the Ps4 would have failed and the Xbox One woulda been mega successful. I mean, I care about it but I'm not deluding myself into thinking the general public gives a shit or even notices. And the farther along we get, the happier I am just keeping my old consoles. If people wanted to play old games they'd keep their own console. 

and again, that's great for Series X. what people care about isn't power or BC, it's new games, which Xbox hasn't had with any consistency or regularity since like 2009. that's why PS3 eventually overtook Xbox 360 despite the 360 getting a mega lead, and why the Ps4 has steamrolled the Xbox One despite the One X being the 'most powerful console ever' with better backwards compatibility. Again, don't get me wrong, I personally care a lot about this stuff and I know people who would buy a PS5 day one if it was BC back to PS1 - I'm one of them - but the general public doesn't give a shit. There comes a time when you can discern between your personal values and what is best for the business/company. If it's not cost effective - IE: if the cost of implementing it isn't up to the same value they'd get from new consumers - Sony isn't going to fight for PS1-3 Backwards Compatibility. I hope they do, but I won't cry about it if they don't because I'll understand they did it for economical reasons, not becuase they hate their fanbase or whatever. 

PS4 Backwards Compatibility has been confirmed. this is on its own great news because the PS4 has the best overall library of any Sony console (fight me), and a significant value of PS4's heavy hitters late-game like Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part II are coming out right on the cusp between the two generations. 

Personally, I've not played a PS1 game aside from the FF games I downloaded on my PS4/Switch since I think 2005 or something. I haven't played any PS2 games since 2009 or so. I haven't played any PS3 games since 2016 or 2017 (Dark souls was the last, which I played right after being Bloodborne). I just don't see why so many people are making such a big deal out of it. If you cared, you'd still have those old consoles. Like me. Backwards compatibility is a lovely little bonus or a convenience, I can't even fathom it being a system seller. 

What??? The xbox one didnt even have BC anytime near launch and even then it was weaker and more expensive. You should make a realistic comparison instead: ps4 and x1 releasing for $399 with no drm BS from ms. But x1 has BC and ps4 doesnt. Suddenly the x1 looks a lot better.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

And does E3, directs, etc just happen without any announcement of date before? Didn't know.

Except this isnt E3 or any other game conference so why try changing what i asked?. Ill ask again Did MS announce the day before their reveal that they where going to do it?.

And Sony needs to do the same as MS because? MS have made like 4 or 5 release of info this year alone, and I remember they announcing they would give information on the award last year. Also Sony announced they are revealing what was going to be revealed in the GDC, so it is equivalent to announcing the date of an event like the do with State of Play.

And in any case what is the point you are trying to make?