By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
Runa216 said:
Vodacixi said:

I expect full backwards compatibility with every Playstation platform to date. I want to be able to insert a PS1, PS2, PS3 or PS4 game disk on the PS5 and be able to play it with better resolution and improved performance.

If Sony does not deliver on that front, I think I will choose Xbox for the first time in my life.

aaahahahaha! sure bro, that's not setting yourself up for 'failure' at all. What a silly thing to make the decision for you. 

Why is it silly? Series X will be fully backwards compatible with all the previous Xbox consoles. I just expect the same from Playstation 5. And it's a feature I'm really looking forward because I'm tired of having to set up 15, 20 or 25 year old systems every time I want to replay a classic (and I tend to that a lot: I love replaying old games). Needing only one console connected in the room in order to play any game I want is something that really appeals to me. Especially in the case of Sony, because unlike Xbox, there are tons of PS1 and PS2 games I love with all my heart and I replay every now and then.

So, that feature alone would make me buy a PS5 instantly. If it doesn't have that, I see no reason to get a PS5. Simply because since the PS3 days, pretty much all the series I care about that were on Playstation became multiplatform. And Sony changed drammatically the kind of games they make themselves. Nowadays they are mostly western, adult, mature-story driven titles that I personally just don't enjoy at all. Sure, there is the occasional Gravity Rush, Astro Bot and Ratchet and Clank... but that is not enough for me. And since I feel mostly the same way about Microsoft... backwards compatibility is a decisive factor for me.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Runa216 said:

aaahahahaha! sure bro, that's not setting yourself up for 'failure' at all. What a silly thing to make the decision for you. 

Why is it silly? Series X will be fully backwards compatible with all the previous Xbox consoles. I just expect the same from Playstation 5. And it's a feature I'm really looking forward because I'm tired of having to set up 15, 20 or 25 year old systems every time I want to replay a classic (and I tend to that a lot: I love replaying old games). Needing only one console connected in the room in order to play any game I want is something that really appeals to me. Especially in the case of Sony, because unlike Xbox, there are tons of PS1 and PS2 games I love with all my heart and I replay every now and then.

So, that feature alone would make me buy a PS5 instantly. If it doesn't have that, I see no reason to get a PS5. Simply because since the PS3 days, pretty much all the series I care about that were on Playstation became multiplatform. And Sony changed drammatically the kind of games they make themselves. Nowadays they are mostly western, adult, mature-story driven titles that I personally just don't enjoy at all. Sure, there is the occasional Gravity Rush, Astro Bot and Ratchet and Clank... but that is not enough for me. And since I feel mostly the same way about Microsoft... backwards compatibility is a decisive factor for me.

Since the games you loved on PS1 and PS2 weren't available on Xbox how would buying XSX help you on that effort?

Also are you aware that for xbox games it isn't just a question of picking any disc and putting into XSX and it will play right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

Since the games you loved on PS1 and PS2 weren't available on Xbox how would buying XSX help you on that effort?

Also are you aware that for xbox games it isn't just a question of picking any disc and putting into XSX and it will play right?

Let's put it this way:

Series X:

- Nice specs

- Backwards compatible (which is nice, since I never had an Xbox I could discover some gems... but the nostalgia and replayablity factor is not there)

- Only a few exclusives I'm actually interested on

PS5:

- Probably, nice specs

- Not backwards compatible (let's assume it isn't for the sake of comparison)

In this situation, Series X would be my obvious choice because from my perspective, they would be the same thing, but Xbox got a feature that allows me to play more games. Even if it is not as appealing as it would be if PS5 had it.

Now, if PS5 actually had bacwards compatibility, that would change everything, because I really want to be able to play any PS game in one device.

As for your second question, I'm well aware of that... but If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every game of certain importance is backwards compatible on Xbox One and in te future Series X. I know it's not just put the disc and play: you have to download the game. But the point stands: it's much more convinient than having to plug an old device. Also, maybe on PS5 you won't need to download the game. Who knows...

the-pi-guy said:
sales2099 said:

Don’t know what to tell ya, MS did theirs first. Wasn’t the reveal in February? Then it was changed to early March? 

>Don’t know what to tell ya, MS did theirs first

Most things take a lot of planning.  And the idea that Sony scrambled to react in 24 hours, doesn't hold up.   Particularly when you include what is probably an hour long script that has to be written.  

Sure it'll look like Sony is reacting, because MS went first.  But that's not how it works behind doors.  

No reveal in February was planned. 

This still isn't really the full reveal people were expecting. This is just the specs.  

We should answer saying that MS reacted to PS5 and developed XSX in a hurry because Mark Cerny talked about PS5 general specs like a year ago and before Scarlett. Or he will say Sony started designing PS5 because MS mentioned Scarlett in 2017 or 2018.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

So will the reveal be in a studio or at someones home?

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's put it this way:

Series X:

- Nice specs

- Backwards compatible (which is nice, since I never had an Xbox I could discover some gems... but the nostalgia and replayablity factor is not there)

PS5:

- Probably, nice specs

- Not backwards compatible (let's assume it isn't for the sake of comparison)

In this situation, Series X would be my obvious choice because from my perspective, they would be the same thing, but Xbox got a feature that allows me to play more games. Even if it is not as appealing as it would be if PS5 had it.

Now, if PS5 actually had bacwards compatibility, that would change everything, because I really want to be able to play any PS game in one device.

As for your second question, I'm well aware of that... but If I'm not mistaken, pretty much every game of certain importance is backwards compatible on Xbox One and in te future Series X. I know it's not just put the disc and play: you have to download the game. But the point stands: it's much more convinient than having to plug an old device. Also, maybe on PS5 you won't need to download the game. Who knows...

PS4 BC has already been confirmed like 1 year ago, the other BCs are rumored and actually most of the relevant games have received PS Classic or Remaster threatment.

So since you don't have the Xbox games to play on BC (you would need to buy all of them), then buying the classics or remaster would be similar case.

So it doesn't really make that much of a sense, unless you want to just buy to make a point that you want full BC for all gens that company had a console or it is just strange.

jason1637 said:
So will the reveal be in a studio or at someones home?

Probably video broadcast without press locally there, and hold some interviews through internet connection.

the-pi-guy said:
sales2099 said:

Don’t know what to tell ya, MS did theirs first. Wasn’t the reveal in February? Then it was changed to early March? 

>Don’t know what to tell ya, MS did theirs first

Most things take a lot of planning.  And the idea that Sony scrambled to react in 24 hours, doesn't hold up.   Particularly when you include what is probably an hour long script that has to be written.  

Sure it'll look like Sony is reacting, because MS went first.  But that's not how it works behind doors.  

No reveal in February was planned. 

This still isn't really the full reveal people were expecting. This is just the specs.  

Fair enough, it’s not a scramble. But it’s still a reaction to MS having done theirs extremely recently. MS has closed doors too ya know. They were quicker to the draw, their closed doors opened faster ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Hiku said:
sales2099 said:

Don’t know what to tell ya, MS did theirs first.

They don't hold an emergency press conference and set things up in the span of 24 hours. It takes a lot longer than that to approve, plan, and execute this sort of thing. How it coincides with their other plans is also important. Like the first PS5 reveal where they collaborated with a news publication, or like how Microsoft invited Digital Foundry to be a apart of the one yesterday, these things take time as well.

And for everything to work smoothly, everyone involved, including Playstation's own various marketing teams which are spread out across different platforms and continents, needs to know well ahead of time at what date they should post their article, tweet, youtube video, etc. That's not something you can effectively get set up in the span of 24-48 hours.

However, they may have been ready to do this for several weeks now at any given moment. So in that sense it may be a reaction. But definitely not a scramble.

That’s fair to say, that’s my sentiment at the moment. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

Series X is doing this. BC for all gens and the games even get automatic improvements. People care about BC so if MS can do it in theory so can Sony. Though the rumours only say PS4 BC

You sure about that? If they did, the Ps4 would have failed and the Xbox One woulda been mega successful. I mean, I care about it but I'm not deluding myself into thinking the general public gives a shit or even notices. And the farther along we get, the happier I am just keeping my old consoles. If people wanted to play old games they'd keep their own console. 

and again, that's great for Series X. what people care about isn't power or BC, it's new games, which Xbox hasn't had with any consistency or regularity since like 2009. that's why PS3 eventually overtook Xbox 360 despite the 360 getting a mega lead, and why the Ps4 has steamrolled the Xbox One despite the One X being the 'most powerful console ever' with better backwards compatibility. Again, don't get me wrong, I personally care a lot about this stuff and I know people who would buy a PS5 day one if it was BC back to PS1 - I'm one of them - but the general public doesn't give a shit. There comes a time when you can discern between your personal values and what is best for the business/company. If it's not cost effective - IE: if the cost of implementing it isn't up to the same value they'd get from new consumers - Sony isn't going to fight for PS1-3 Backwards Compatibility. I hope they do, but I won't cry about it if they don't because I'll understand they did it for economical reasons, not becuase they hate their fanbase or whatever. 

PS4 Backwards Compatibility has been confirmed. this is on its own great news because the PS4 has the best overall library of any Sony console (fight me), and a significant value of PS4's heavy hitters late-game like Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part II are coming out right on the cusp between the two generations. 

Personally, I've not played a PS1 game aside from the FF games I downloaded on my PS4/Switch since I think 2005 or something. I haven't played any PS2 games since 2009 or so. I haven't played any PS3 games since 2016 or 2017 (Dark souls was the last, which I played right after being Bloodborne). I just don't see why so many people are making such a big deal out of it. If you cared, you'd still have those old consoles. Like me. Backwards compatibility is a lovely little bonus or a convenience, I can't even fathom it being a system seller. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android