By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
eva01beserk said:
well im exited. Hope you guys are right and sony clarifies. I dont want to purchase any ssd's. I will be more than happy with my slow mechanical drive as mass storage and have the console automatically move last 5 games i have played to the internal ssd. or even have it ask you as you put a new game if I would like to switch one game. Solves every issue.

3,0 USB support for external drive, which could even be a cheaper large SSD if you decide as well. But I wouldn`t hope for automatic management of what goes to SSD or stay HDD since that would be external. Still if it allows you to play a game on the SSD while copying another that is perfectly fine for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:
well im exited. Hope you guys are right and sony clarifies. I dont want to purchase any ssd's. I will be more than happy with my slow mechanical drive as mass storage and have the console automatically move last 5 games i have played to the internal ssd. or even have it ask you as you put a new game if I would like to switch one game. Solves every issue.

3,0 USB support for external drive, which could even be a cheaper large SSD if you decide as well. But I wouldn`t hope for automatic management of what goes to SSD or stay HDD since that would be external. Still if it allows you to play a game on the SSD while copying another that is perfectly fine for me.

dont really like external drives, if I had no choice I would use it sure, but would love for the ps5 to have an ssd slot and an hdd slot. Could add an hdd right on the spot and then wait for a good price sdd when ever they even come out. One extra terrabyte would be nice, but add 4terrabyte hdd on the spot wich would cost me under $100. I now have a 2T hdd on my ps4 And worked perfect, only had to remove a few games near the end wich where games i havent touched in years. I think 2tb ssd + 4tb hdd would be more than enouf for me and would look nice if it could all be internal. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:
  1. I am not saying that you get an HDD to run the games of from, I am saying you get a HDD as a backup drive. Copy games that you are done playing onto it fr whenever you may want to play them again so you can then move them back into your system drive. Which would be faster than redownloading or reinstalling from disk. Basically your game on the external HDD would work as if you have a disc copy of the game. 
  2. I don't know about MS "proprietary" SSD,I was under the impression that its just a 2230 M.2 SSD. In an enclosure. Thy use it for some of their devices and its a form factor that's found in some laptops too. I could be mistaken though.
  3. That's a lot of storage space you are packing. Well for me, knowing how I play games; I start a game, usually don't move way from it till I platinum it or I'm done with it and that's it. Never go back to play it again. Then I have a couple of resident games in my system. Usually Tekken and GT ( my idea of pciku and play games. 

So for someone like me, just getting an external drive that I can use as a backup drive would be great for me.

Even if it was just that it is proprietary (which doesn't mean we can't see non authorized 3rd party cards).

The enclosure ensures form factor and thermal dissipation, plus the inside have the bandwidth ensured.

The SSD memory cards are propriety and made by Seagate. And you are right, it does ensure a heap of things.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-requires-proprietary-cards-to-expand/1100-6474802/

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

dont really like external drives, if I had no choice I would use it sure, but would love for the ps5 to have an ssd slot and an hdd slot. Could add an hdd right on the spot and then wait for a good price sdd when ever they even come out. One extra terrabyte would be nice, but add 4terrabyte hdd on the spot wich would cost me under $100. I now have a 2T hdd on my ps4 And worked perfect, only had to remove a few games near the end wich where games i havent touched in years. I think 2tb ssd + 4tb hdd would be more than enouf for me and would look nice if it could all be internal. 

From what was show I doubt there will be any slot for PS5 HDD, only SSD will have slot (remember Sony talked about form factor being one of the restrictions when choosing a SSD expansion) more because it needs more than 3.0 connection. But for HDD 3.0 will be enough so you just plug it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

Because those drives are insufficient from a performance perspective to load next-gen games from.

Microsoft has taken a performance-guaranteed approach with it's propriety "memory cards". - But that will be more costly.

Sony however is not as propriety, but there isn't enough details to showcase how flexible it truly is or what it's costs are.

I actually like having all my games installed and updated... I have 20~ Terabytes worth of storage on the Xbox One X, 4 Terabytes on the Xbox 360... 50 Terabytes on my PC.

Shit could get expensive for me next gen if I spent $100 per Terabyte...

1. I am not saying that you get an HDD to run the games of from, I am saying you get a HDD as a backup drive. Copy games that you are done playing onto it fr whenever you may want to play them again so you can then move them back into your system drive. Which would be faster than redownloading or reinstalling from disk. Basically your game on the external HDD would work as if you have a disc copy of the game. 
  2. I don't know about MS "proprietary" SSD,I was under the impression that its just a 2230 M.2 SSD. In an enclosure. Thy use it for some of their devices and its a form factor that's found in some laptops too. I could be mistaken though.
  3. That's a lot of storage space you are packing. Well for me, knowing how I play games; I start a game, usually don't move way from it till I platinum it or I'm done with it and that's it. Never go back to play it again. Then I have a couple of resident games in my system. Usually Tekken and GT ( my idea of pciku and play games. 

So for someone like me, just getting an external drive that I can use as a backup drive would be great for me.
DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

Even if it was just that it is proprietary (which doesn't mean we can't see non authorized 3rd party cards).

The enclosure ensures form factor and thermal dissipation, plus the inside have the bandwidth ensured.

While SNY's SSD tech may be somewhat more expensive than what MS is using, you'd think if a proprietary card was going to be in the same ballpark price wise, that SNY would have gone with that.

To me, SNY saw the price difference for creating something like MS has, and decided it was going to be way too expensive. Not just at launch either. For the effort SNY went to in creating some of the hardware, like the controller for the SSD, why they wouldn't go to the trouble of what MS did with a proprietary card says to me it's price that was the biggest problem.

That's not to say MS's card wouldn't be cheaper right off the bat based on it's tech, and maybe MS is willing to subsidize those cards to some degree. I also can't help but wonder if MS assumes most will just transfer over their existing external HDD's, or upgrade to a larger one based on the much cheaper market prices.

The cost over time also needs to be taken into account. A proprietary card only comes down in price a lot if MS keeps subsidizing it, or if they sell a boat load of consoles, while also convincing many to buy 1 card or more. Mass market gen 4 NVMe's will naturally drop in price much quicker, which also means lower prices, or faster speeds, and higher amounts of storage for the same old price as years go by.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 26 March 2020

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Intrinsic said:

DonFerrari said:

While SNY's SSD tech may be somewhat more expensive than what MS is using, you'd think if a proprietary card was going to be in the same ballpark price wise, that SNY would have gone with that.

To me, SNY saw the price difference for creating something like MS has, and decided it was going to be way too expensive. Not just at launch either. For the effort SNY went to in creating some of the hardware, like the controller for the SSD, why they wouldn't go to the trouble of what MS did with a proprietary card says to me it's price that was the biggest problem.

That's not to say MS's card wouldn't be cheaper right off the bat based on it's tech, and maybe MS is willing to subsidize those cards to some degree. I also can't help but wonder if MS assumes most will just transfer over their existing external HDD's, or upgrade to a larger one based on the much cheaper market prices.

The cost over time also needs to be taken into account. A proprietary card only comes down in price a lot if MS keeps subsidizing it, or if they sell a boat load of consoles, while also convincing many to buy 1 card or more. Mass market gen 4 NVMe's will naturally drop in price much quicker, which also means lower prices or higher amounts of storage for the same old price as years go by.

Well the SSD for PS5 being twice the speed would probably mean it would cost more to manufacture than MS solution even with the heatsink and other stuff on the stick.

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

The cost over time also needs to be taken into account. A proprietary card only comes down in price a lot if MS keeps subsidizing it, or if they sell a boat load of consoles, while also convincing many to buy 1 card or more. Mass market gen 4 NVMe's will naturally drop in price much quicker, which also means lower prices or higher amounts of storage for the same old price as years go by.

Well the SSD for PS5 being twice the speed would probably mean it would cost more to manufacture than MS solution even with the heatsink and other stuff on the stick.

Probably, yes.

Now however, SNY should not only have the cheaper option, but all the long term storage benefits, minus simplicity.

What will be available from MS in 3-4 years vs what SNY will have at it's disposal?

EricHiggin said:

The cost over time also needs to be taken into account. A proprietary card only comes down in price a lot if MS keeps subsidizing it, or if they sell a boat load of consoles, while also convincing many to buy 1 card or more. Mass market gen 4 NVMe's will naturally drop in price much quicker, which also means lower prices, or faster speeds, and higher amounts of storage for the same old price as years go by.

It would be more expensive for Sony to take the propriety-memory card approach compared to Microsoft... It has to guarantee twice the bandwidth in a small form factor. - Might even be logistically impossible given current technological trends.

I would assume Microsoft would not be willing to subsidize the cards... If we were to take a look at Microsoft's prior business models in the console space... They usually price the consoles cheaper, then make-up the difference on accessories and games... The OG Xbox for example had the DVD attachment, Xbox 360 had the Wifi Dongle, Detachable HDD, Memory Cards and so on. - The Xbox One was initially priced higher to avoid allot of that.

Xbox Series X could be a return to form on this front.

In saying that, it does mean that there is the potential for larger SSD's in the future as Microsoft's approach to SSD technology isn't as propriety, so they should in theory be able to take advantage in advancements in SSD controller and NAND faster as they become cheaper and/or larger.

Keep in mind these memory cards aren't using a plane-jane NVMe drive, it's in a propriety package... Heck. I don't even know what it's interface bus is yet. (Likely PCI-E based, but the possibility exists for something else.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Probably, yes.

Now however, SNY should not only have the cheaper option, but all the long term storage benefits, minus simplicity.

What will be available from MS in 3-4 years vs what SNY will have at it's disposal?

Both will have higher size and cost will most likely depend on how much MS is capable of selling versus PCI 4.0 becomes cheaper over time for PS5. So in 3 to 5 years certainly will be much cheaper to put an external SDD to PS5 than XSX for the same size and with PS5 being twice as fast.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

It would be more expensive for Sony to take the propriety-memory card approach compared to Microsoft... It has to guarantee twice the bandwidth in a small form factor. - Might even be logistically impossible given current technological trends.

I would assume Microsoft would not be willing to subsidize the cards... If we were to take a look at Microsoft's prior business models in the console space... They usually price the consoles cheaper, then make-up the difference on accessories and games... The OG Xbox for example had the DVD attachment, Xbox 360 had the Wifi Dongle, Detachable HDD, Memory Cards and so on. - The Xbox One was initially priced higher to avoid allot of that.

Xbox Series X could be a return to form on this front.

In saying that, it does mean that there is the potential for larger SSD's in the future as Microsoft's approach to SSD technology isn't as propriety, so they should in theory be able to take advantage in advancements in SSD controller and NAND faster as they become cheaper and/or larger.

Keep in mind these memory cards aren't using a plane-jane NVMe drive, it's in a propriety package... Heck. I don't even know what it's interface bus is yet. (Likely PCI-E based, but the possibility exists for something else.)

My impression from what I see is that the proprietary device for MS doesn't have a controller or anything to save on cost, it will only have chip, package and the connector, everything else will use what is already in the console.

Similar to how Sony will "highjack" the controller of the external SDD with the PS5 controller overhead.