By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
DonFerrari said:
PotentHerbs said:
It wasn't a bad presentation but damn they really messed up PS5 BC. It wasn't a feature I intend to use but Sony dropped the ball on it. I wasn't expecting the PS5 to play all PS1/PS2/PS3 games but PS4 games seemed like a certainty.

GPU/CPU favors the XSX while the PS5 SSD is 2x faster. Although I think we'll see a PS5 Pro down the line. I'm also curious as to how the SSD impacts game/level design.

The bright side to all of this, Sony still hasn't had their "XOne DRM moment," despite such an underwhelming presentation. We probably won't get see PS5 SIE titles until GOT is released, though.

They done exactly that, they put the silicon to permanently, efficiently and cheaply have BC with PS4 with boost included. But they can't say it is 100% because they didn't put the whole PS4 inside, but already confirmed all top 100 works fine. Probably all relevant games will work fine and they may patch some or another that doesn't. But yes the XSX solution seems better.

Yeah, I think Sony will slowly roll out BC compatibility throughout the PS5's life, similar to the XOne this gen. I don't see why the top 100 can be ported, and other PS4 titles can't, other than man power/dev resources. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Plus, I always knew that PS1-PS2-PS3 BC was a pipe dream, i'm not annoyed that I didn't get what I wanted, moreso it's towards Sony's stance on it that it's not even worth looking into and that nobody cares about it. 

What specifically gave you the impression that they didn't even look into it?
They don't report everything they look into to us. What they said was that AMD designed the custom chips with PS4 logic in mind. Can we agree that this by itself is already asking more of AMD than is normally reasonable to focus on?
To quote Cerny: "Achieving this unification of functionality took years of effort by AMD."

My point is that if PS1 - PS3 compatibility were to occur in the future, it's more reasonable to assume that this would be achieved by Sony purely (not AMD), figuring out an emulation solution. And this is still, in theory perhaps possible. But not something they should necessarily waste valuable time and resources from AMD to work on at the development stage of the console. And that's what they were talking about in the presentation. That they have PS4 backwards compatibility logic in place thanks to AMD. And even then, they still need to test every single game before before they can all function properly though. (So that's a lot of work to do just with PS4. Let alone with potentially PS3, PS2 and PS1.)

Microsoft have already found a successful way to emulate their older games since a few years ago, which gives them a head start on that front this time around.
If PS3 games can be successfully emulated even with PS5 remains to be seen due to the notoriously strange architecture of that system. But that's probably something they'd want to focus more on after the console is finalized and launched, as there are a lot more important things to handle in the meantime.

I don't doubt that they cared about PS4 Backwards Compatibility at least, I think they realize how important it will be to carry over the games from this gen given that they are leading in it, but it's just always seemed to me like everything else from PS3 and below they just aren't interested in putting in the work to do so. When we've got people from Sony like Jim Ryan saying "who would want to play this" in regards to old games a few years back and how the only "solution" they've offered for some PS3 games and such is through Streaming in PS Now. It's better than nothing sure, but it's always just come off to me as "we won't do it ourselves, but here you can stream it at least". 

You're right though, maybe they did look into it and we just don't know about it and they do have things they can look at and decide "ok well is it worth putting in the time and effort to do this", after re-reading that Jim Ryan quote he did say a lot of people asked for it and only a few ever used it, but I don't think it doesn't mean they shouldn't ever try, but I realize they're a business first and foremost and will make decisions that way.

I just also don't understand the "taking away resources from other things" logic, because with Microsoft they've been doing BC for years and we've seen the amount of growth they've still been able to achieve in their studios, budget, etc. It's seemingly not taking away much, if anything at all.

We've also even seen increases in games like Black Ops where that blew up in popularity again and hit 70k concurrent players again once it was added to Xbox One BC, so it's definitely not a matter of nobody using it at all. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 18 March 2020

Hiku said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Plus, I always knew that PS1-PS2-PS3 BC was a pipe dream, i'm not annoyed that I didn't get what I wanted, moreso it's towards Sony's stance on it that it's not even worth looking into and that nobody cares about it. 

They don't report everything they look into to us. What they said was that AMD designed the custom chips with PS4 logic in mind. Can we agree that this by itself is already asking more of AMD than is normally reasonable to focus on?
To quote Cerny: "Achieving this unification of functionality took years of effort by AMD."

My point is that if PS1 - PS3 compatibility were to occur in the future, it's more reasonable to assume that this would be achieved by Sony purely (not AMD), figuring out an emulation solution. And this is still, in theory perhaps possible. But not something they should necessarily waste valuable time and resources from AMD to work on at the development stage of the console. And that's what they were talking about in the presentation. That they have PS4 backwards compatibility logic in place thanks to AMD. And even then, they still need to test every single game before before they can all function properly though. (So that's a lot of work to do just with PS4. Let alone with potentially PS3, PS2 and PS1.)

Microsoft have already found a successful way to emulate their older games since a few years ago, which gives them a head start on that front this time around.
If PS3 games can be successfully emulated even with PS5 remains to be seen due to the notoriously strange architecture of that system. But that's probably something they'd want to focus more on after the console is finalized and launched, as there are a lot more important things to handle in the meantime.

With the 3D audio chip basically funcioning as SPE per Cerny talk they may discover a way to emulate the PS3 with that who knows... but I would bet more on abstraction and generic emulator running on PS5 if they decide that remasters aren't bringing as much money same for PSNow (so I don't expect they to do it).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Vodacixi said:
Bandorr said:

So let's recap. You watched the presentation - even though it made it clear it wasn't going to be about the games.

You ignored every discussion of GDC. It being a GDC event. It being a GDC video. It being GDC week.

You never thought what "a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games.": even meant.

You didn't post until 10:22 yet some how missed a tweet in the very first post that was added 3 hours before.

And you are going to give up Playstation 5 exlusives.. because you can't play Playstation 3 and older games.

Yeah I see where this conversation started, and ended. - good lord you need help. You refused to search for any information. You ignored obvious information. You never did any critical thinking. And  now you are planning on avoid new games - because you can't play old games.

Yikes is all I got -I'm out.

Well, since I was already there to watch the presentation, I decided to give it a look. I had nothing better to do to be honest...

GDC as you very wisely said before is for developers, is not an event I'm really into

I thought of it and as I said many times: you can talk about what a console specs can do without spending 1 hour with a Power Point about 3D Sound and SSDs. That's not "deep dive into PS5s architecture and how it will shape the future of games". That's overkill. But, since it was supposed to be a GDC talk, it's ok I guess. Althought I think even the people who were there might got bored xD

I don't really like were the Playstation brand is going since the PS3. Most of the exclusive IPs I liked have either become multiplatform... or have been completely lost in time. And most new 3rd party franchises are multiplatform as well. On top of that, Sony's current first party titles are mostly western, story-driven games with a mid to full mature tone that, for the most part... is not what I'm looking for. Sure, they throw a Gravity Rush, Astro Bot or Ratchet and Clank here and there... but those are a minority. Microsoft is similiar, so given that their next console specs are not too different... the element that really makes the difference for me is backwards compatibility. PS5 has it with PS4. Series X has it with One, 360 and OG Xbox. So... I get Series X. You may be wondering: "Why not a PC". And, while I have no reason to give you more explanations, here it is: I don't feel comfortable playing on a PC. So... what's that you don't understand?

Why should I search for any more information? Sony says: "Tomorrow we are gonna take a look at PS5 specs and what can be achieved with them". That's what most news websites said. The GDC thing is something you have to look for. But I don't know why I would look for something I don't even know is there. Sony made an announcement. I got ready to be there at the right time. Also for your information, the fact that I posted at a certain hour doesn't mean I read the article at the same time. Sometimes I read a topic and I don't comment. Then I go back and I do. But I don't necesarily read the entire OP again. The same goes for reading ALL of the comments in the thread. I may start reading at X page, not necesarily at page 1. And not necesarily EVERY comment. I may be interested in just a conversation.

Dude, you got nothing on me. You tried. Again. And you failed. Again. If this is all you have to say, I'm leaving now. I pity you though. Have a nice day.

I can understand the upset of people with the presentation and that even if it was for devs it could have been a lot better, since I was expecting only specs I thought it would be 15-30min tops. But I really liked all of it.

Regarding the exclusives, there isn't much Sony can do about the 3rd parties, they were exclusives until PS3 because Sony had de-facto monopoly on the console market so everyone launched there and only a few would go for Nintendo, Sega and MS, but still several ended on PC (like FF7). On PS3 that changed with X360 doing fine and some moneyhat at the start, after that it would never go back to what it was.

On the western story centered games, well that wasn't really a change, the issue there for you would be that the western devs of Sony improved much more than the Japan Studio and were able to make more and better games than the japan centered ones. I like what they are releasing and agree they should improve their japanese centric side as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

They done exactly that, they put the silicon to permanently, efficiently and cheaply have BC with PS4 with boost included. But they can't say it is 100% because they didn't put the whole PS4 inside, but already confirmed all top 100 works fine. Probably all relevant games will work fine and they may patch some or another that doesn't. But yes the XSX solution seems better.

Yeah, I think Sony will slowly roll out BC compatibility throughout the PS5's life, similar to the XOne this gen. I don't see why the top 100 can be ported, and other PS4 titles can't, other than man power/dev resources. 

Well I don't think they will need to do much for the other titles in general, it is just that they only tested 100 so far, but probably you'll just go and put your disc on PS5 and it will install and play for most cases even if they haven't done anything.

FloatingWaffles said:
Hiku said:

I don't doubt that they cared about PS4 Backwards Compatibility at least, I think they realize how important it will be to carry over the games from this gen given that they are leading in it, but it's just always seemed to me like everything else from PS3 and below they just aren't interested in putting in the work to do so. When we've got people from Sony like Jim Ryan saying "who would want to play this" in regards to old games a few years back and how the only "solution" they've offered for some PS3 games and such is through Streaming in PS Now. It's better than nothing sure, but it's always just come off to me as "we won't do it ourselves, but here you can stream it at least". 

You're right though, maybe they did look into it and we just don't know about it and they do have things they can look at and decide "ok well is it worth putting in the time and effort to do this", after re-reading that Jim Ryan quote he did say a lot of people asked for it and only a few ever used it, but I don't think it doesn't mean they shouldn't ever try, but I realize they're a business first and foremost and will make decisions that way.

I just also don't understand the "taking away resources from other things" logic, because with Microsoft they've been doing BC for years and we've seen the amount of growth they've still been able to achieve in their studios, budget, etc. It's seemingly not taking away much, if anything at all.

We've also even seen increases in games like Black Ops where that blew up in popularity again and hit 70k concurrent players again once it was added to Xbox One BC, so it's definitely not a matter of nobody using it at all. 

Well do you understand the concept that nothing is free and that resources are finite?

MS themselves said they had reduced the amount of effort they were giving to BC because they had to focus on next gen and they are going to go back to full speed soon? Or the part where they said they were focusing on X1X and after that they focused on buying studios?

Every company will look at what will bring more money and focus there first. That is because they have a limited resource (even if Trillion of Dollars) and in Sony case they analysis showed they wouldn't profit enough/more with BC so they gone the road of remasters and selected classics.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't lie, we live in Brazil the most we would have as old SW in general is PS3, the rest only arrived here through piracy or some odd purchase for collection =p

You mean my PS1 and PS2 games doesn't exist? xP

Yes, I have more PS3 games than both combined because they are much cheaper, but it would be great when I want to play LoD (all the time) I don't need to boot up my PS3 for it to even run on my current TV.

Yes I know I was just mocking you. I have a few original PS1 and PS2 games but I bought them after already having PS4 =P and outside of Brazil.

And yes if Sony really wanted PS1 and PS2 emulator on PS5 would be a college dorm project with just few people. Sure the parts where it could "automatically" improve and boost those games would  need some more effort and perhaps they could sell patches down the road.

Do you still think it will be 500 USD?

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Well I don't think they will need to do much for the other titles in general, it is just that they only tested 100 so far, but probably you'll just go and put your disc on PS5 and it will install and play for most cases even if they haven't done anything.

Well do you understand the concept that nothing is free and that resources are finite?

MS themselves said they had reduced the amount of effort they were giving to BC because they had to focus on next gen and they are going to go back to full speed soon? Or the part where they said they were focusing on X1X and after that they focused on buying studios?

Every company will look at what will bring more money and focus there first. That is because they have a limited resource (even if Trillion of Dollars) and in Sony case they analysis showed they wouldn't profit enough/more with BC so they gone the road of remasters and selected classics.

Yes I know I was just mocking you. I have a few original PS1 and PS2 games but I bought them after already having PS4 =P and outside of Brazil.

And yes if Sony really wanted PS1 and PS2 emulator on PS5 would be a college dorm project with just few people. Sure the parts where it could "automatically" improve and boost those games would  need some more effort and perhaps they could sell patches down the road.

Do you still think it will be 500 USD?

Yes, it'll be $500, specially costing $450 only for the parts.

It may be the weaker one this time, but it's not by much (specially accounting how superior their SSD is), the pricing will be the same for both.

The only way they are going to cost the same is if Sony have higher profit per unit.

Althought the SSD is better it is most likely the PCI 4.0 choice and few extra controllers, and they are accepting third party solution on PCI 4.0 so it can even end up as cheaper then MS solution that for they to put external SDD needs something very unique to them.

While MS is using like 40% more CUs and 20% more controllers for RAM, which will make their console probably quite bigger.

So when all is put together I guess 50-100 cost difference to manufacture, which is about what Ahmad had guessed like a month ago (that you have for the 450 BOM of PS5).

IT might be time for me to bow out of this thread. All it is now is a bunch of console war nonsense and it seems this presentation was just the ammo people are using even though the 'battle' hasn't been fought yet.

Honestly, the last 25 years of Sony has given me faith in their products - almost as much as the last 35 years of Nintendo - while Xbox's 19 years has never done anything for me despite owning all three Xbox consoles. It's just not for me, and while I'm open to giving Xbox a Chance, their marginally better system specs don't mean shit to me. I have never cared about graphics or performance and have always been of the opinion that Gameplay rules over performance/graphics, so while the Ps4 had marginally better specs in 2013 than its competition, I never noticed a difference and didn't care.

Today, my Switch gets the most love. I play more SNES games on my phone than I play new games from the current gen. Some of my favourite games from the past decade are pixel-art indies.

What I'm trying to get across here is that, in regards to this topic, I don't really feel I have anything to say and it baffles me that people care so much about a couple extra teraflops. All I know is that I can't play Bloodborne or God of War or Horizon: Zero Dawn on the Xbox Series X but I likely can on PS5. all I know is that the franchises I love the most will be on PS5 and Switch, and that's what matters to me. If any games come out on Xbox Series X that I care about, I'll happily pick one up. As of right now I have no interest whatsoever in getting one. I bought the Xbox One right when the Master Chief Collection edition came out, and I've literally spent more time updating the firmward on it than playing games on it becuase it only has like three games I care about. The entire second half of the Xbox 360's life was barren and desolate, the Xbox One's entire lifetime was barren and desolate aside from a few small gems, and outside of Senua's Sacrifice 2, there's nothing in the Xbox's future that interests me. I don't care about Forza, I never really liked Halo despite making an effort to get into the series since 2001, and while I like Gears of War, it's not enough.

I like talking about games. I don't like talking about specs. I'll go back to those threads. I have nothing more of value to say here.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

WTF happened in here while i am sleeping ! 

Playstation 5 Spec Overview & Analysis | 10.3TFLOPS & RDNA 2 | 3.5 GHZ Zen 2 & Crazy SSD Speeds

https://youtu.be/3e8EPCkoEa8

Hiku said:
FloatingWaffles said:

If at the time of the PS4 generation Sony realized they at least couldn't do PS3 BC the way Microsoft were able to do 360 BC, then a comment like Jim Ryan's seems like standard PR. "It's not going to happen, so how do we make it look like its less of an issue?"
And even if Ryan's comments happen to reflect everyone else's sentiment at Sony, things can certainly change between then and now.

Some years back EA famously commented on the current state and future of single player narrative driven games, as if they're not viable.
Then this year they released such a single player Star Wars game, with no microtransactions, lootboxes, or even multiplayer.

The fact that PS5 has taken at least PS4 backwards compatibility so seriously is a good sign that if there was a different attitude before, it's different now.

FloatingWaffles said:

The story of Xbox One's BC was that MS started the project internally, after the console was released. It was apparently not even a big focus but more of a side project iirc, because they didn't think they would be able to figure it out effectively. But they did. Phil Spencer said he was surprised by this.

So what I'm getting at there is that MS didn't task AMD with this. They did it themselves after their system was finalized.
Why this is important is because by launch, the specs are set in stone. The more extra less necessary tasks you give AMD, the more that subtracts from other more important tasks they can work on in that time, right?

I suppose in this case Sony thought that BC for PS4 games was important enough to prioritize over other things at this stage. But no doubt that time could have been used for some other 'secret sauce'.
I'm not sure if MS also asked AMD to do the same for them with XSX, but this is the first time I heard of this approach. In PS3, they just threw in the Emotion Engine chip from PS2 on the motherboard. And with the XBO and PS4 chipsets, they did neither.

So I figure potential PS3 - PS1 emulation, if it happens, is something Sony will try internally. If they haven't already started (because they have a deadline to meet and things to prioritize, such as the operative system being as ready and feature filled as possible at launch), then some time after they have more time to work on it.

Just a small correction, MS had some features backed into the X1 that made their BC possible, it was on their plan since they designed the console.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

The only way they are going to cost the same is if Sony have higher profit per unit.

Althought the SSD is better it is most likely the PCI 4.0 choice and few extra controllers, and they are accepting third party solution on PCI 4.0 so it can even end up as cheaper then MS solution that for they to put external SDD needs something very unique to them.

While MS is using like 40% more CUs and 20% more controllers for RAM, which will make their console probably quite bigger.

So when all is put together I guess 50-100 cost difference to manufacture, which is about what Ahmad had guessed like a month ago (that you have for the 450 BOM of PS5).

You are going to be disappointed if you are still expecting the PS5 to be $400.

Or are you expecting the XSX to be $600?

I'm expecting it to be sold at loss on 450 price tag at the moment and XSX 500 with similar loss if only system or 550-600 if Lockhart really launches.

HollyGamer said:

WTF happened in here while i am sleeping ! 

Sony reveal wasn't as good as some expected and had the openings other were waiting to trash Sony =p