By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
Bandorr said:
Vodacixi said:

Oh, but they said it AT the presentation. They already hooked up people by then... and they obviously stayed to at least give the talk a chance.

No cheating, Bandorr xD

They can talk about what they said on the tweet without spending 1 hour deeply explaining two concepts.

I just saw the tweet and some news about the tweet. Like... a lot of people apparently. I don't have to look at a 20+ pages thread for something I didn't even knew was there. Most of the times I look at the OP when I arrive to the thread and when I did that for the first time, there wasn't any GDC mention at all.

Try again for 25 cents?

So let's recap. You watched the presentation - even though it made it clear it wasn't going to be about the games.

You ignored every discussion of GDC. It being a GDC event. It being a GDC video. It being GDC week.

You never thought what "a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games.": even meant.

You didn't post until 10:22 yet some how missed a tweet in the very first post that was added 3 hours before.

And you are going to give up Playstation 5 exlusives.. because you can't play Playstation 3 and older games.

Yeah I see where this conversation started, and ended. - good lord you need help. You refused to search for any information. You ignored obvious information. You never did any critical thinking. And  now you are planning on avoid new games - because you can't play old games.

Yikes is all I got -I'm out.

Well, since I was already there to watch the presentation, I decided to give it a look. I had nothing better to do to be honest...

GDC as you very wisely said before is for developers, is not an event I'm really into

I thought of it and as I said many times: you can talk about what a console specs can do without spending 1 hour with a Power Point about 3D Sound and SSDs. That's not "deep dive into PS5s architecture and how it will shape the future of games". That's overkill. But, since it was supposed to be a GDC talk, it's ok I guess. Althought I think even the people who were there might got bored xD

I don't really like were the Playstation brand is going since the PS3. Most of the exclusive IPs I liked have either become multiplatform... or have been completely lost in time. And most new 3rd party franchises are multiplatform as well. On top of that, Sony's current first party titles are mostly western, story-driven games with a mid to full mature tone that, for the most part... is not what I'm looking for. Sure, they throw a Gravity Rush, Astro Bot or Ratchet and Clank here and there... but those are a minority. Microsoft is similiar, so given that their next console specs are not too different... the element that really makes the difference for me is backwards compatibility. PS5 has it with PS4. Series X has it with One, 360 and OG Xbox. So... I get Series X. You may be wondering: "Why not a PC". And, while I have no reason to give you more explanations, here it is: I don't feel comfortable playing on a PC. So... what's that you don't understand?

Why should I search for any more information? Sony says: "Tomorrow we are gonna take a look at PS5 specs and what can be achieved with them". That's what most news websites said. The GDC thing is something you have to look for. But I don't know why I would look for something I don't even know is there. Sony made an announcement. I got ready to be there at the right time. Also for your information, the fact that I posted at a certain hour doesn't mean I read the article at the same time. Sometimes I read a topic and I don't comment. Then I go back and I do. But I don't necesarily read the entire OP again. The same goes for reading ALL of the comments in the thread. I may start reading at X page, not necesarily at page 1. And not necesarily EVERY comment. I may be interested in just a conversation.

Dude, you got nothing on me. You tried. Again. And you failed. Again. If this is all you have to say, I'm leaving now. I pity you though. Have a nice day.

Around the Network

Full bc would be cool but that would kill the remaster/digital service angle. Let's be real, would have been cool but totally not shocked it isn't

KLXVER said:
DroidKnight said:

I'm still sure all that explaining about how storage works, how to access storage, how this works how that works was not for them.  They already know all that. It was to educate us the gamers.

Well then I hope most other gamers are way smarter than me. This presentation could have been spoken in Klingon and I would be just as informed as I am now.

Very disappointed by the small amount of BC PS4 titles though. Was hoping it would be fully BC with all PS4 games at least...

They put the BC on the silicon of PS5. They confirmed the top 100 played games run fine, but almost all BC have odd cases where it won't work so Sony is still testing case by case to confirm. But don't worry as probably all relevant games will run.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:
This thread sure is entertaining. The only disappointing part was, also limited to 16GB ram. 4K HDR takes 8x the memory of 1080p SDR for a lot of the rendering pipeline, including textures themselves. Compression will help but more memory would have been better. Virtual memory can help, but even this super fast SSD with hw compression has 9 GB/s throughput, compared to 448 GB/s for ram. Yet perhaps the OS can free up more memory by using the SSD for its memory needs. Ray tracing is also a memory hungry process.

I had hoped for 24 GB at least for the upcoming gen. Storage space can be expanded, the 16GB is there for the next 7 years :/

Anyway finally an end to those endless load times. Assuming the patch process is still as asinine next gen, patching GTS (the copying phase) should now last about 45 seconds instead of 35 minutes!

Several of the points speaked were on line of reducing the load on the RAM and texture filling it up. But sure I would also liked more.

But again PS goes the unified RAM and Xbox two different pools.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Hiku said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Plus, I always knew that PS1-PS2-PS3 BC was a pipe dream, i'm not annoyed that I didn't get what I wanted, moreso it's towards Sony's stance on it that it's not even worth looking into and that nobody cares about it. 

What specifically gave you the impression that they didn't even look into it?
They don't report everything they look into to us. What they said was that AMD designed the custom chips with PS4 logic in mind. Can we agree that this by itself is already asking more of AMD than is normally reasonable to focus on?
To quote Cerny: "Achieving this unification of functionality took years of effort by AMD."

My point is that if PS1 - PS3 compatibility were to occur in the future, it's more reasonable to assume that this would be achieved by Sony purely (not AMD), figuring out an emulation solution. And this is still, in theory perhaps possible. But not something they should necessarily waste valuable time and resources from AMD to work on at the development stage of the console. And that's what they were talking about in the presentation. That they have PS4 backwards compatibility logic in place thanks to AMD. And even then, they still need to test every single game before before they can all function properly though. (So that's a lot of work to do just with PS4. Let alone with potentially PS3, PS2 and PS1.)

Microsoft have already found a successful way to emulate their older games since a few years ago, which gives them a head start on that front this time around.
If PS3 games can be successfully emulated even with PS5 remains to be seen due to the notoriously strange architecture of that system. But that's probably something they'd want to focus more on after the console is finalized and launched, as there are a lot more important things to handle in the meantime.

This.  There is no reason to assume that older PS games _can't_ be emulated.  I rather suspect that PSN/PS1/PS2 will be what it has been on the PS4, assuming they need to/can renegotiate licenses for the PS5.  If they make a disc emulator so you can just pop in PS1/PS2 discs and have them work, I will be super surprised.  

I still highly doubt PS3 BC disc or downloads, but maybe just maybe the PS5 fast/powerful enough to emulate the PS3.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
It's kind of funny how eager people are to be angry or disappointed. Some people clearly went into this presentation prepared to be angry about it (One person even said, straight up, that if the console didn't have 100% backwards compatibility to PS1 era at launch he'd go with Xbox for the 'first time ever', which I thought was a silly, nonsensical expectation that there was virtually no chance of coming true), and as such have been needlessly hilarious with their responses.

Don't get me wrong, this was a dry, boring-assed presentation that did nothing for me becuase I don't give a shit about specs or the intricacies of how SSDs work (I'm currently at the 19-minute mark in the presentation, as I got distracted doing household things when I shoulda been watching it live), but the difference in speed and performance between PS5 and XBSX isn't enough to make me care when you consider the 25 years of PS history we have to go off.

Guys, (And gals, if there are any here), y'all need to remmeber that specs don't sell a console. The two consoles are pretty close in performance, but it's the exclusives and features that make a world of difference. Power didn't make the Dreamcast win that generation. Power didn't make the Xbox win that generation. Power didn't make the PS3 win that generation. Power didn't make the PSP win its handheld generation. Power didn't make the Vita win its generation. Power didn't make the Xbox One X win its half-generation. The PS1 and PS2 won their generations despite being less impressive. the DS and 3DS dominated their generations. Wii won that generation despite barely being stronger than the Gamecube. the Switch might very well win the 8th gen (Depending on how you look at it) despite it being by far the weakest console out there right now.

Point is, specs are nice (For developers to work with), but for the average joe they mean nothing. cost, games, interface, and features matter. Sony has a history of delivering great games, so even though this presentation has almost put me to sleep, I'm still eager to get the PS5. Still not getting the Xbox Series X, though, because of their history with making games I don't give a shit about. To those who are going to 'jump ship' becuase of this...well, you have fun with your not having any games on a more powerful console. If you're that dense to change what console you play on due to a small change in power...you were never in it for the games or for fun, anyway. Your loss.

That’s a beautiful speech. Of course games are all that matters, nobody arguing with that. Sony’s first party games aren’t going anywhere. 

Let me get all PSYC 101 over here, I’m sure you will challenge this. Fans are very simple, and I don’t mean average gamers. I mean people like us, the elite...the whales. We don’t just love gaming, we take time out of our day to talk about it online. It’s part of our identity. I’m referring to people like us. 

Console fans are like nerdy sports fans. We have our teams and preferences and we hope they succeed. Because the more they succeed the more enjoyment we get. Here’s the thing: PS4 dominated this gen in all aspects. But now not only was MS first in doing reveals of the specs, they are in fact superior to Sony’s machine, a stark contrast to the beginning of the current gen. Then you have things like Xbox doing better backwards compatibility, and their reveal wasn’t boring to watch. 

I’m seeing PS fans fighting with each other...some expected Sony to do what MS is doing and others are telling them to be quiet and fall in line with the hype train and ignore the presentation that Sony invited the general internet public to watch. 

Overall the games do matter the most, and power never dictates the winner. But this is a stark contrast to seven years ago. Winners don’t like being outshined by a underdog. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 18 March 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

BraLoD said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Both consoles ram could be higher, but do people really want BC for PS3/2/1 That badly? I had all those consoles but PS4 BC is all I care about as I still have those games.

Suppose you could use PS Now for PS3 games but that doesn't really interest me. 

Not a deal breaker, but I really wanted a single system to be able to play all my games for convenience sake.

I mean, I'll buy the PS5 for new games, but being able to play games from all gens, like will be available on XB, would be amazing.

Again, not a deal breaker, but I really expected it.

Don't lie, we live in Brazil the most we would have as old SW in general is PS3, the rest only arrived here through piracy or some odd purchase for collection =p

loy310 said:
Seems like folks had too high expectations for what seems to be a $399 console.. my suggestion get a PC and never feel disappointed again.

Specs might be disappointing to a few but Sony can always rectify that with a PS5 Pro down the line. It would absolutely dwarf the XSX if it launched in 2/3 years. 

PotentHerbs said:
It wasn't a bad presentation but damn they really messed up PS5 BC. It wasn't a feature I intend to use but Sony dropped the ball on it. I wasn't expecting the PS5 to play all PS1/PS2/PS3 games but PS4 games seemed like a certainty.

GPU/CPU favors the XSX while the PS5 SSD is 2x faster. Although I think we'll see a PS5 Pro down the line. I'm also curious as to how the SSD impacts game/level design.

The bright side to all of this, Sony still hasn't had their "XOne DRM moment," despite such an underwhelming presentation. We probably won't get see PS5 SIE titles until GOT is released, though.

They done exactly that, they put the silicon to permanently, efficiently and cheaply have BC with PS4 with boost included. But they can't say it is 100% because they didn't put the whole PS4 inside, but already confirmed all top 100 works fine. Probably all relevant games will work fine and they may patch some or another that doesn't. But yes the XSX solution seems better.

BraLoD said:
Also it was really stupid of them to start talking about BC showing a slide with PS3 and PS2, only to that turn into an example and PS5 is only PS4 BC...
I love to listen to Cerny talking but ffs that presentation was pointless.

Perhaps the point was to justify why they aren't putting PS1-3 on it and we will have to stick with remasters.