By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry Video: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons + Official Specs + Ray Tracing

barneystinson69 said:
Super sexy specs.

Also no way this costs less than 600 USD (700-800 CAD).

Yeah, I'm starting to think that way too.

I  have a feeling that such a powerful and expensive console all but confirms the existence of a series S. There is no way that they would leave the majority of console consumers without an option.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
barneystinson69 said:
Super sexy specs.

I  have a feeling that such a powerful and expensive console all but confirms the existence of a series S. There is no way that they would leave the majority of console consumers without an option.

How so? Even at $499, which is the likely price, the still imaginary series s cant be more than $100 cheaper with only a weaker gpu.

CGI-Quality said:
Radek said:

Maybe it's 10 GB for games and 6 GB for system? Sounds overkill for system RAM but who knows?

No such thing, particularly in a console. The more, the better.

The more for GAMES, the better. More than 2gb for OS is already overkill.

JRPGfan said:

watching video... intrest.
The slightly weird:

Hardware accelerated ray-tracing (amd version).

*** can run parallel to normal operation workloads, without effecting the other stuff.
This is a "extra" 13 Teraflops of Raytraceing workloads via parallel processing.

Might not have as hard a "hit" from useing Raytracing, as Nvidia has on PC side.

Uh.. sorry to rain into your parade, but this one has me worried the most. AMD/MS/DF say 380 GIntersections/s. How did they get to this number?

Solution: 52 CUs * 4 TMUs * 1.825 GHz = 380 GIntersections/s

This tells us that AMD's RDNA2 accelerates RT using the TMUs (or the TMUs simply limit RT). This is by far inferior to NVidias solution. and it is not an extra TFlops, it would actually mean taking away from the 12TFlops...

Nu-13 said:
ironmanDX said:

How so? Even at $499, which is the likely price, the still imaginary series s cant be more than $100 cheaper with only a weaker gpu.

We're still only guessing at the features and spec differential at this point in time. It's probably going to have a smaller SSD, potentially less RAM and perhaps even skip having a disk drive. Maybe even the CPU soloution will differ.

We simply don't know. Seeing the higher spec'd X just adds a bit more weight in the rumour of it's existence. If you see it another way, that's fine.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
sales2099 said:

Hands on the console. This is a console specs reveal, not a games reveal. We know the vast load time differences and the suspend/resume feature in action, is that not enough?

I hope you see the irony of using the word “weak” compared to how much we know from the competition at the moment. This is a goldmine by comparison

Gaming is not about hardware.  Gaming is about games.  "Hands on" the hardware is pointless unless they are actually showing people playing games.  Even for a console specs reveal they should be showing off gameplay.  Otherwise it is not really "hands on".  

This is just two guys talking.  Lame.  

Hands on doesn’t mean they have to show anything from the games they played. Hands on means they got their hands on the actual hardware and got to experience what it offers. It means nothing else than that. It doesn’t mean they have to satisfy your need for game footage or whatever else you don’t understand from the words “hands on”.

The title is accurate and uses the correct wording.

ironmanDX said:
barneystinson69 said:
Super sexy specs.

John mentions something like 'the other next gen console' in the one vid, talking about comparing them, and Rich gives him a bit of a stare. At first I thought John meant PS5 and that Rich was like 'shut up, we're literally at MS now', but later they mention PS, so I can't help but wonder if John actually meant Lockhart.

Rich also slips up, but I think it's in the other video, and says something along the lines of wanting to see something on the Xbox Series S, but then immediately corrects himself and says Series X. His facial expression there also seems telling, as if he's like, 'crap, I might pay for that'.

Why weren't those edited out however? Did MS or DF suggest the 'accidental teasing' of Lockhart Series S, or were they honest mistakes and no big deal?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 17 March 2020

Intel calls their combined chips SOC's, and even though AMD calls their's APU's, they and MS are referring to them as SOC's? Common now. They might mean the same thing in the end, but AMD needs to be a little more aggressive about gaining some long term marketing narrative. Mind share leads to market share.

I wonder how clear about the external SSD vs external HDD MS (and PS) will be? The choice between a $99 4TB external HDD and a $99 1TB XB SSD will seem like a fairly simple choice to most consumers. The more proprietary SSD's they sell though, the cheaper their cost will be, so I don't see them being all that clear about how external storage works and how you don't need the SSD. Unless you don't want to have to shift your games around, and how much of a pain could that really be?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 17 March 2020

The breakdown video is thorough, which is really nice. Looks like a really well thought out system and a beast of a console.

16GB GDDR6 at 32bit is more than enough tbh.

The only critique I can find is that 1TB storage is relatively tiny as game sizes get bigger and bigger.

😲

That is all.