By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry Video: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons + Official Specs + Ray Tracing

sales2099 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Video says "hands on", but then it barely shows any gameplay of anything. "Hands on" should mean "hands on a controller". Weak.

Hands on the console. This is a console specs reveal, not a games reveal. We know the vast load time differences and the suspend/resume feature in action, is that not enough?

I hope you see the irony of using the word “weak” compared to how much we know from the competition at the moment. This is a goldmine by comparison

Gaming is not about hardware.  Gaming is about games.  "Hands on" the hardware is pointless unless they are actually showing people playing games.  Even for a console specs reveal they should be showing off gameplay.  Otherwise it is not really "hands on".  

This is just two guys talking.  Lame.  

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
sales2099 said:

Hands on the console. This is a console specs reveal, not a games reveal. We know the vast load time differences and the suspend/resume feature in action, is that not enough?

I hope you see the irony of using the word “weak” compared to how much we know from the competition at the moment. This is a goldmine by comparison

Gaming is not about hardware.  Gaming is about games.  "Hands on" the hardware is pointless unless they are actually showing people playing games.  Even for a console specs reveal they should be showing off gameplay.  Otherwise it is not really "hands on".  

This is just two guys talking.  Lame.  

Seriously...is this a joke? You know MS doing a digital games event in place of E3 right? They showed gameplay of State of Decay 2 loading comparisons between Series X and Xbox One X. Also they showed suspended games resume for 5 different games. The gameplay is shown and it’s impressive. 

If them misusing the words “hands on” is the best negative thing you can say about this reveal, that that means this is a complete success by all practical accounts. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Pictures of the controller:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

What a difference a generation makes. They broke down all these features and elements of the hardware and virtually all of it is worded and catering to hardcore gamers, things that will actually impact gaming on the console. Such a stark contrast to the Xbone marketing and reveal.

And so much of these features for Xbone are internally developed by MS. Wonder what difference this will give it from PS5.

All Xbone games get HDR. If that works out, that’s fucking amazing. And talking about how some guy unplugged his console for a week, plugged it back in and updated, and was able to resume his game state with no loading. Wow.

Everything sounds powerful and neat. Now we can move towards new games.

Around the Network

Looks like a very well thought design, but the memory split is strange. I hope it won't become a problem later.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

the-pi-guy said:

twintail said:

Didn't DF say it was 56CU. 4 are turned off due to potential in performance differences between similar hardware or something. I forgot the exact terminology.

Maybe I'm wrong.

It's typical to disable a few CUs for yields.  

These are totally made up numbers:

Basically imagine if you made 100 GPUs,

1 has 5 CUs that don't work properly.

5 have 4 CUs that don't work properly.

15 have 3 CUs that don't work properly.  

30 have 2 CUs, and 40 have 1 CU that doesn't work as expected. 

Basically it would mean that 99 chips were good enough to ship, instead of trying out the whole chip where only 9 chips are good enough.  

LudicrousSpeed said:
What a difference a generation makes. They broke down all these features and elements of the hardware and virtually all of it is worded and catering to hardcore gamers, things that will actually impact gaming on the console. Such a stark contrast to the Xbone marketing and reveal.

And so much of these features for Xbone are internally developed by MS. Wonder what difference this will give it from PS5.

All Xbone games get HDR. If that works out, that’s fucking amazing. And talking about how some guy unplugged his console for a week, plugged it back in and updated, and was able to resume his game state with no loading. Wow.

It is really strange to me.  

Last gen, there was less confidence with consoles.  Which was why neither system was really pushing the envelope that much.  Sony was talking about playing games on your phone and MS was trying to push as an entire TV experience.    

And now we are closer to streaming replacing consoles and yet confidence is way higher.  

Or, there simply isn't that much impressive game play to show to get people excited. For many reasons, games aren't ready yet, diminishing returns, you tube is really crap at showing off modern game play, screenshots don't do HDR justice, etc.

Also the earlier you throw around the specs the more impressive they look. In half a year GPUs have all been updated again and PCs are a step further along. The message will change when we get closer to release. Specs for the hardcore first, bull shots later.

The memory situation is a bit concerning tbh. 8 GB was a struggle a few months after release already (although the OS kept 3GB at first). 16 GB total seems very small to me. I had hoped for 24 GB at least. My modest 1080p gaming laptop has 16GB system ram plus 6 GB dedicated video ram (can use 14 GB for GPU) and it's very memory constrained in modern games.

JEMC said:
Looks like a very well thought design, but the memory split is strange. I hope it won't become a problem later.

Well 10GB is of the fastest available, so I don't think it will be much problem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
JEMC said:

Well 10GB is of the fastest available, so I don't think it will be much problem.

It's fast, there's no doubt of that, but sometimes quantity also matter.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Video says "hands on", but then it barely shows any gameplay of anything. "Hands on" should mean "hands on a controller". Weak.

They showed jumping between games in seconds and continuing their progress as if they continue from a quick save. That's a huge feature that makes playing multiple less of a burden.

State of Decay 2 loaded in seconds even with no patches. This would suggest all content could load faster. I would credit the storage and CPU for that.

We saw Gears Ultimate went from 1080p to 4K. Which could suggest X1 content is going to get a 4x pixel count boost. This means 720p content becomes 1440p, 900p become 1800p and 1080p content becomes 4K. This is big news for people who people who care about BC content, which is many.

They showed some tech videos of Gears 5 running 4K and ultra settings, a massive boost over last gen consoles. We saw Minecraft using ray tracing on Series X, which is the first we've actually seen ray tracing on a console.

9th gen content isn't really being shown yet, but there was still a lot to glean from these two videos simply showing how it can improve old content. Also, spoiler alert. For the next couple years most content is going to be cross gen. So at the very least we see how Series X content is gonna be a massive improvement in visual fidelity, ray tracing can be enabled, performance is going to be much better, load times will be significantly faster, etc.

We essentially saw much of what we hoped being demonstrated.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)