By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alternate history: What if PS3 launched without Cell or Blu-Ray at $399?

curl-6 said:

So the general consensus seems to be that Cell/Blu Ray were a mistake, and that the system would've been better off without them?

Blu-ray might've not been good at first, since it increased the cost of the console. In the long run, it was good for the console. PS3 is very much a multimedia machine, and without the emerging Blu-ray format it would lose some of that status.

I don't think I've seen anyone argue that the Cell processor was a good thing. It was costly, and hard to develop for. It's still baffling that Sony went with it. It also made it extremely difficult for backwards compatibility. As such, there's no true backwards compatibility on the PS4. I don't see any future PlayStation console having PS3 backwards compatibility because the effort would not be worth it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

I don't think I've seen anyone argue that the Cell processor was a good thing. It was costly, and hard to develop for. It's still baffling that Sony went with it. It also made it extremely difficult for backwards compatibility. As such, there's no true backwards compatibility on the PS4. I don't see any future PlayStation console having PS3 backwards compatibility because the effort would not be worth it.

Well, not any more; I remember some folks last generation defending the Cell and insisting it was justified by the performance of games like Uncharted 2 and God of War 3.

Charlesalb87 said:
well we could have a high end PS4 in this gen

the problem is that modern consoles are holding back gaming, because gamers want to save money, just look at this downgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX_WePhiYHE, thats why i spent $599 in the PS3

Consoles gamers about PS3: Its overpriced
Sony: Alright, we gonna fix that with the PS4

PC gamers about PS4: Its underpowered
Sony: WTF!!!!

This is why I am thinking build a PC instead of next gen consoles, I will save money in the long run with cheaper games, free online and cheaper to upgrade in the future (don't need to buy the whole machine again just some parts). But mostly because I can sell my MacBook and that alone can pay for my PC.

Then it will be great to have such a huge library of games automatically enhanced. Imagine going back and play 20 year old games in much better graphics, even emulators. And then PCs run all media you could have, all codecs, my ps4 doesn't even run HEVC for example.

Also if you want VR, PC is way ahead.

With PC I have the option to pay more for better specs, I am not forced to whatever console makers decide. Best of all, I can invest in a good cooling system, because I struggle hard this generation with loud consoles, I replaced the ps4 several times because of that. 

The best of PC is being able to chose settings, I'd rather have good AA over resolution, which for me AA gives me a better image at 1080p, than no AA at 4K.

With PC I have the option, all monitors these days have HDMI, and all PCs these days accept a controller, so I can just use the same pro ps4 controller I already have.

Tired of all these remasters, remakes, ports and so on, I'd like to buy the games and never have to rebuy them, automatic enhancements when I buy a better graphics card.

Ill be more interested in knowing what would have been the case if the XB1 came out the gate without Kinect Bundled and without the bad PR and DRM? Because it had some great early titles like Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Titanfall, Ori and the Blind Forest and Dead Rising 3 just to name afew.

victor83fernandes said:
Charlesalb87 said:
well we could have a high end PS4 in this gen

the problem is that modern consoles are holding back gaming, because gamers want to save money, just look at this downgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX_WePhiYHE, thats why i spent $599 in the PS3

Consoles gamers about PS3: Its overpriced
Sony: Alright, we gonna fix that with the PS4

PC gamers about PS4: Its underpowered
Sony: WTF!!!!

This is why I am thinking build a PC instead of next gen consoles, I will save money in the long run with cheaper games, free online and cheaper to upgrade in the future (don't need to buy the whole machine again just some parts). But mostly because I can sell my MacBook and that alone can pay for my PC.

Then it will be great to have such a huge library of games automatically enhanced. Imagine going back and play 20 year old games in much better graphics, even emulators. And then PCs run all media you could have, all codecs, my ps4 doesn't even run HEVC for example.

Also if you want VR, PC is way ahead.

With PC I have the option to pay more for better specs, I am not forced to whatever console makers decide. Best of all, I can invest in a good cooling system, because I struggle hard this generation with loud consoles, I replaced the ps4 several times because of that. 

The best of PC is being able to chose settings, I'd rather have good AA over resolution, which for me AA gives me a better image at 1080p, than no AA at 4K.

With PC I have the option, all monitors these days have HDMI, and all PCs these days accept a controller, so I can just use the same pro ps4 controller I already have.

Tired of all these remasters, remakes, ports and so on, I'd like to buy the games and never have to rebuy them, automatic enhancements when I buy a better graphics card.

whatever you say, but dont do criticism for downgrades in this gen, like i said before: "The Wii outsold the PS3 and X360, despite being an overclocked Gamecube"

which the Wii proved that people dont care about specs and another reason why the PS4 is underpowered

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

DonFerrari said:

The Cell/Bluray themselves weren't mistake but what they brought, high cost and difficult to develop made a big negative impact to PS3.

So if they resulted in a big negative impact, does that not make them a mistake?

From a company POV? I would say yes. At least in hindsight and supposing if both weren't there it could have sold much better and profited a lot more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well the biggest mystery would have been is how would have the PS4 turned out if not for what they did with the PS3, If PS3 played it safe, woudl PS4 been the one that did something cray and now suffered sales?

The only thing for certain if the PS3 was standard and priced at 399 is that Nintendo like every generation, bugger all 3rd party support lol

Cobretti2 said:
Well the biggest mystery would have been is how would have the PS4 turned out if not for what they did with the PS3, If PS3 played it safe, woudl PS4 been the one that did something cray and now suffered sales?

The only thing for certain if the PS3 was standard and priced at 399 is that Nintendo like every generation, bugger all 3rd party support lol

It's not like the Wii was overflowing with PS3/360 ports in the first place. I don't see why it still wouldn't have gotten the mid-tier/AA third party games that it did historically.