By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alternate history: What if PS3 launched without Cell or Blu-Ray at $399?

If the Playstation 3 had used a more standard CPU, and went with DVD instead of Blu-Ray, but launched at a more affordable $399 USD as a result, how do you think this would've affected its sales and how Gen 7 played out?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 March 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I think they would have sold a lot better, probably been their third straight 100 million seller. I can't imagine it making any difference on the games. Well, at least DVD vs BluRay. Who knows in regards to Cell.

But no Cell in PS3 would have made this gen more interesting. Does Sony still remaster so much stuff or is there PS3 BC eventually in PS4?

It sure would have made that porting job a hell lot easier for 3rd party devs.

As for the sells, probably 5-10M more units sold would've been reasonable. Technically, the cited issue was rectified years later with a revision so I think they'd catch on approximately the same market as they did.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

It would have reached at least 120million sales. Easy.

The entire gaming landscape would be different today. Part of the reason why more and more games went multiplatform, was because they couldn't make enough money selling on just PS3. But if PS3 was easy to code for and at that $400 price point, it would have sold somewhere between 100-120 million. 360 would have been 40-65 million. 360 gained a ton of momentum off of having console versions of PC games that PS3 didn't have, or running those games better if PS3 actually had them.

Imagine the PS3 with...

Left 4 Dead
Mass Effect Not delayed for years.
No Oblivion Delay
No Bioshock Delay
GTA4 exclusivity
Assassin's Creed franchise exclusivity
Ace Combat 6 exclusivity
Dead Rising
DMC4 exclusivity
Final Fantasy franchise exclusivity
Dragon Age
Fallout 3 running smoothly
Fallout NV running smoothly
and a ton more games. Too many for me to remember or list. It would have been almost a complete repeat of the PS2 gen in terms of Sony exclusivity. Any game franchise that was exclusive to PS2 would have stayed exclusive to PS3.

Sony was focused on power so if they went with a traditional CPU they likely would have flat out had the better console as far as graphics comparisons go.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Around the Network

I blame it on Sony itself for buying Toshiba and IBM's bullshit that a 1 TFLOPS CPU was possible as early as 2004. Yes, really. The entire Cell project thing was known since 2001. Also, trusting the extremely shady Rambus to deliver 1-2 GB of affordable and super fast "Yellowstone" DRAM by then.

So, that's quite an early point of divergence. Almost everything would be different, including the CPU of the X360 console.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I think they would have sold a lot better, probably been their third straight 100 million seller. I can't imagine it making any difference on the games. Well, at least DVD vs BluRay. Who knows in regards to Cell.

But no Cell in PS3 would have made this gen more interesting. Does Sony still remaster so much stuff or is there PS3 BC eventually in PS4?

If the architecture could easily have been utilized by the PS4, I imagine you would have PS3 BC out of the gate Whether this means less remasters is debatable since a remaster would, theoretically, be better looking and more content complete. Like, I think TloU Remaster would still be a thing because it essentially acts as a 'GoTY edition'.

In fact, I imagine a similar thing will happen with PS5 (and XSX maybe?). There will be remasters but they will basically be the complete edition of the game, so FF15 with all content or KH3 with all content in a single package etc. While the content itself is not exclusive to next gen, that particular release will be. 

Just my thoughts 

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

If the architecture could easily have been utilized by the PS4, I imagine you would have PS3 BC out of the gate Whether this means less remasters is debatable since a remaster would, theoretically, be better looking and more content complete. Like, I think TloU Remaster would still be a thing because it essentially acts as a 'GoTY edition'.

In fact, I imagine a similar thing will happen with PS5 (and XSX maybe?). There will be remasters but they will basically be the complete edition of the game, so FF15 with all content or KH3 with all content in a single package etc. While the content itself is not exclusive to next gen, that particular release will be. 

Just my thoughts 

After CDPR announced that people who buy Cyberpunk on current gen Xbone get the XSX upgrade free, I hope it pressures other publishers to follow suit and not make us buy games twice. I’m sure Sony has a similar plan in place.

LudicrousSpeed said:
twintail said:

Just my thoughts 

After CDPR announced that people who buy Cyberpunk on current gen Xbone get the XSX upgrade free, I hope it pressures other publishers to follow suit and not make us buy games twice. I’m sure Sony has a similar plan in place.

Agreed. Patches make the most sense. Whether free or not is up for question but free is obviously ideal.

I do feel this is what will be done too

If they hadn't used a Bluray drive they hadn't had the problems with manufactoring of blue lasers which caused them to postpone the launch of the PS3 by almost a year. So they would have released the console at the same timeframe as the Xbox 360 so the latter one wouldn't have had the time advantage. Paired with the PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility this would have been a huge advantage. When PS3 was released backwards compatibility wasn't that big of a deal anymore because we already were in the middle of the HD-generation. Also because of the lower price the console would have been more competitive and Sony wouldn't have to axe the backwards compatibility feature in the first place.
If they hadn't used the Cell CPU then maybe the whole architecture of the console would have been different. They wouldn't have had the absurd idea to include 2 Cell CPUs, one as the main processor and one which acts as a GPU. They wouldn't have to come to the realization that this was a bad idea and wouldn't have to include a striped down Nvidia GPU at the last moment which was even less powerfull than the Xbox 360s GPU. They most likely would have developed a much more powerful GPU which was even more powerful than the one in the Xbox.

The lower price and earlier release date would have prevented many customers from switching to Xbox 360 and PS3 could have reached 100m sold units.