By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

Only a different GPU, how much can that realistically save? Maybe cheaper cooling as well? 4tf GPU vs 12tf GPU (of similar architecture) can that really save $200, 40% on a console? If Lockhart in 299, is that one heavily subsidized or is 499 estimate for the big one overpriced? Many think 499 would already be subsidizing the 12tf console. Same ram, 1tb SSD, same CPU, I don't get the huge price difference. Disc less saves a few bucks but not that much anymore. Smaller box?

Around the Network
Marth said:
Cant wait for you all to praise Sony when they inevitably announce their discless PS5...

Yes PSP Go was full of praise in VGC, except it wasn't.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The strange thing on this rumor is that if Lockhart is about the same as Series X except a GPU that is 1/3 the power then the price difference can't be 200 or more, since even the whole GPU on Series X won't cost 200.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:
The strange thing on this rumor is that if Lockhart is about the same as Series X except a GPU that is 1/3 the power then the price difference can't be 200 or more, since even the whole GPU on Series X won't cost 200.

See my post above. There are likely a few other differences other than the GPU, but they will be minor differences, the GPU is the only significant downgrade.

And I don't really expect all the other savings to amount to 200 USD.

Even more if we compare to PS5 being 399-449 then it would be 100-150 difference.

For me that seems much more money saved than they would be able on the GPU (I would expect 50-100 saving on the GPU part of the APU). And for me that is a very poor saving, putting an immense bottleneck on the design for a small saving, having 1/3 performance for a small saving.

But sure we need to wait until things are final and running, with proper price and review before being sure how effective it really will be.

victor83fernandes said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If MS has an idea of the size of games at the moment, it's possible 500GB could be viable. I am no expert but maybe due to the significantly faster CPU and storage, developers could utilize compression while still allowing games to load faster. Either they do that or potentially take a hit on storage space.

Having a significantly cheaper Lockhart on the market could also increase the the number of early adopters. I mean it will play 9th gen games and is a significant upgrade over base consoles, so it will still be impressive for the average 8th gen user.

The console won't have any exclusives for 2 years, and 3rd party games most likely will launch most games on the old generation too.

The X is as powerful as the series S, most xbox fans already have the X, they won't see many reasons to upgrade. Most other gamers are saving for a real next gen upgrade, most people would just pay 450 for a ps5 which most likely will have real exclusives not on PC or PS4, probably GT7 at launch.

No one bothers on saving 100-150 dollars when games will be almost 70 each, most people these days have phones that cost at least 500 dollars.

Thats like saying people would just buy a ps4 pro for 300dollars with a game, because budget. People who are ready to upgrade to next gen will not care much about price as long as its not over 500 dollars for base.

People got the Xbox X for the power, so it stands to reason they will buy the Series X for the best visuals of the games. Gamers didn’t have to buy it except many don’t want to settle in terms of their gaming performance. 

Others may not have a 4K setup, a smaller Tv, and yes do live paycheck to paycheck. In that case a Series S would be a good fit. Or it could be a cheap secondary console. There are many types of gamers out there.  

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
If this is true, it's pretty baffling how MS doesn't understand the concept of a sweet-spot when it comes to console pricing. No core gamer wants a next gen console to be too cheap, they want the best hardware possible at a tolerable price. Most people will expect them to be between $399 and $499 and historically, $599 or more hasn't worked out that great for any console. If this is all true MS will have 2 consoles, one is too expensive for the masses and the other will feel too compromised and cheap, especially when the comparison videos will start popping up and the Series S versions have trouble maintaining a decent framerate and looks like a blurry stain compared to the ps5 version.

I'm also sure we won't be seeing 4k and 60fps as standard next gen. The X1X and ps4 pro weren't designed to be a next gen console, they were meant as a 4k version of current gen consoles and for the vast majority a higher fps/ resolution wasn't worth the upgrade. These next gen consoles will be about a leap in overall visual fidelity and developers will likely target 30fps/1440p (maybe even 1080p) for most AAA titles. Native 4k/60fps (or even 8k/120fps lol) would be a gigantic waste of resources and we would practically be playing the same games we're playing now.

Well if one is $300 and the Series X is $499-550 then I’d say that’s a decent sweet spot. I don’t think anybody will charge $599 after E3 2006. 

People can’t call the next Xbox weak because fans will just direct those over to the Series X. And MS can ideally boast the lowest barrier to entry and also the most powerful hardware. 

Looks like if true the Series S will be able to play the same games but at a solid 1080p, with dynamic resolution up scaling and 30-60 FPS based on the game involved. I for one really hope it’s true, a $300 launch price is all part of their low barrier entry philosophy into the brand. I imagine this is for people that for many reasons don’t want to fully invest in the Series X, which is fine. 

I mean if Nintendo can get away with releasing underpowered hardware then I say MS can do the same, so long as they got the power option handy too. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

See my post above. There are likely a few other differences other than the GPU, but they will be minor differences, the GPU is the only significant downgrade.

Even more if we compare to PS5 being 399-449 then it would be 100-150 difference.

For me that seems much more money saved than they would be able on the GPU (I would expect 50-100 saving on the GPU part of the APU). And for me that is a very poor saving, putting an immense bottleneck on the design for a small saving, having 1/3 performance for a small saving.

But sure we need to wait until things are final and running, with proper price and review before being sure how effective it really will be.

If the idea is capping res at 1080p, It's not a problem. The problem, as you said, is that a weaker gpu is nowhere near enough for a $200 price difference. I would expect $100 less.

Nu-13 said:
DonFerrari said:

If the idea is capping res at 1080p, It's not a problem. The problem, as you said, is that a weaker gpu is nowhere near enough for a $200 price difference. I would expect $100 less.

The spec itself isn't the problem, but it we were talking about the GPU only, to save 100 USD on a 500 build to get  1/3 the GPU power and have the rest being excessive doesn't look good.

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:
If this is true, it's pretty baffling how MS doesn't understand the concept of a sweet-spot when it comes to console pricing. No core gamer wants a next gen console to be too cheap, they want the best hardware possible at a tolerable price. Most people will expect them to be between $399 and $499 and historically, $599 or more hasn't worked out that great for any console. If this is all true MS will have 2 consoles, one is too expensive for the masses and the other will feel too compromised and cheap, especially when the comparison videos will start popping up and the Series S versions have trouble maintaining a decent framerate and looks like a blurry stain compared to the ps5 version.

I'm also sure we won't be seeing 4k and 60fps as standard next gen. The X1X and ps4 pro weren't designed to be a next gen console, they were meant as a 4k version of current gen consoles and for the vast majority a higher fps/ resolution wasn't worth the upgrade. These next gen consoles will be about a leap in overall visual fidelity and developers will likely target 30fps/1440p (maybe even 1080p) for most AAA titles. Native 4k/60fps (or even 8k/120fps lol) would be a gigantic waste of resources and we would practically be playing the same games we're playing now.

Well if one is $300 and the Series X is $499-550 then I’d say that’s a decent sweet spot. I don’t think anybody will charge $599 after E3 2006. 

People can’t call the next Xbox weak because fans will just direct those over to the Series X. And MS can ideally boast the lowest barrier to entry and also the most powerful hardware. 

Looks like if true the Series S will be able to play the same games but at a solid 1080p, with dynamic resolution up scaling and 30-60 FPS based on the game involved. I for one really hope it’s true, a $300 launch price is all part of their low barrier entry philosophy into the brand. I imagine this is for people that for many reasons don’t want to fully invest in the Series X, which is fine. 

I mean if Nintendo can get away with releasing underpowered hardware then I say MS can do the same, so long as they got the power option handy too. 

The sweetspot will be $399 -$499, which be probably be exactly what the ps5 will cost. MS would have two consoles that sit completely outside the expected and tolerable price point. It just wouldn't make sense lol.

DonFerrari said:
Marth said:
Cant wait for you all to praise Sony when they inevitably announce their discless PS5...

Yes PSP Go was full of praise in VGC, except it wasn't.

That's a great comparison, hardware released when digital sales were much less popular. A big problem with PSP as well was the digital store lacked many notable titles.

Games get delisted on modern platforms, but a vast majority of the library should stay in the store.

I doubt there will be a discless PS5, but Sony did go the discless route at one point and it was too early. 8th gen was a good time to try X1SAD because every game (virtually) gets added digitally.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)