By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you be willing to pay more than the "$60" pricetag for a game today?

They can charge whatever they want for games, I rarely buy AAA games until they hit $40 a few weeks after release, and I rarely buy non AAA games until they hit $20. If they want to charge $70 at initial release that is fine. Now Nintendo games is where that would hurt since those games usually don't drop too much.

Around the Network

Here in Canada, we be payin more than $60 for years now. That being said, I certainly would not be willing to pay any more than the current price, unless it's a AAA game that I REALLY want.

Hiku said:

The price disparity between a new game on PSN and the physical version is weird. The digital version tends to be $10 more.
I read an article or something about that a while ago, and it was supposedly not to undermine the sales of the physical version, as people would more commonly opt for the digital version if they had price parity on day 1.

Usually the MSRP for the physical and digital version is the same. The "street price" of the retail version is only ~$10 lower because there is competition between the retail stores but no competition for the PSN version.

rapsuperstar31 said:
They can charge whatever they want for games, I rarely buy AAA games until they hit $40 a few weeks after release, and I rarely buy non AAA games until they hit $20. If they want to charge $70 at initial release that is fine. Now Nintendo games is where that would hurt since those games usually don't drop too much.

Just wait for "buy 2 get 3" sales to get the 33% drop for Nintendo games.

@Hiku, it depends on the game. Since games have gone up from 60 to 80 in just one generation, I have been buying much less new games. I'll still pay more for games I really want but those I'm not sure about, not anymore. The price hike has reduced the total amount of money I spend on games, but I still buy some day 1 like Death Stranding.

Around the Network

I payed the equivalent of $80 (+ inflation!) during NES/SNES days here in Luxembourg, so higher prices wouldn't be anything new at all for me.

And if that would be a way to get rid of Microtransactions/Lootboxes/other unscrupulous monetisation scheme, I wouldn't mind at all.

I will only buy it on day 1 if it is my favorite franchise (Fire emblem, Animal Crossing, Splatoon). While other games which I jave interest on may hold me back from buying it in the first month of its release

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Depends on the game. I would pay more than 60 bucks for a game like Breath of the Wild or God of War. I would be picky about smaller games though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Hiku said:
Leynos said:
No. I won't return to 8-bit era prices. (yes I am aware of inflation) I pay $60 for something I really want and wait for everything else to go on sale.

What was it like back then? I'm pretty sure at least in Sweden that a new game was commonly the same price as a new game today. Not accounting for inflation. Just the price tag I think was the same. (599 kr) This changed slightly during N64 where many games were commonly 699kr instead.

Ka-pi96 said:
Due to regional pricing I've probably paid more than $60 for every single new game I've ever bought!

Sorry I meant would you be willing to pay notably more for a new game than the common price of a new game today?

Jpcc86 said:

I'd do the same I do now. I'd pay the 80-100 for games im already hyped and waiting for and wait for the rest to be on sale.
Dont see myself quitting or reducing the frequency I buy games- at least not significantly- because of this.

Is that 80-100 just for the base game, or is that the collectors/deluxe editions?
If it's the former, would you be willing to pay more than that if it feels like the product is worth it, and its warranted?

That includes waiting for a price drop. It would just mean that its price during a sale would still be higher than the sale price of a game today.

DonFerrari said:
Depend of the game.
Mostly no because in Brazil with a minimum wage of about 200USD a month, 60 is already a lot so most games I wait to drop to around 10-15 to buy.
But yes, Uncharted, GoW, SM and some others I would pay more than 60USD if I weren't tight on cash on the month.

How much is the cost of a new game (just the game, no extras) in your country?
And if some games (when its warranted) charged a bit more, would that seem ok to you? You can wait for that game to drop in price as well, but lets assume its price drop will still be a bit higher than when other games go on sale.

COKTOE said:

Yeah, I still spend $80 ( standard Canadian price) for vanilla games at launch if they mean something to me, or are more "niche" titles. I buy the occasional deluxe edition as well.

I do this less often now due simply to the size of my collection. Prices have had interesting fluctuations and extended periods stability in Canada, and my part of the country throughout my life. My favourite example is always Phantasy Star 2 selling for close to $140. Prices have generally improved here since the 8 bit/early 16 bit time period, but got close to that absurd level again in the early aughts.

$140 is an interesting price tag. 
By the way (something I'll edit into my OP) waiting for a price drop is fine as well. It would just mean that its sale price would be higher than a normal game. So let's say $40 instead of $20, etc.

Chrkeller said:

Wouldn't bother me, I paid more than $60 back in the SNES and N64 games. In order to justify more than $60 I would expect a few things:

1) absolutely no MTX and no DLC, the game should be complete day 1 and I should have immediate access to the entire game
2) high quality, meaning no glitches or patches

At the end of the day I think videogames still offer easily the best bang for the buck in terms of entertainment.  I paid $60 for BotW and put in 200 hours...  Even with smaller/shorter games, I still get 20 hours at $60, which is $3 per hour.  What else in life offers $3 per hour entertainment?  Netflix?  A few weeks back I took my family bowling and it was $60 for an hour.  

I was also thinking about how videogames tend to be high value for the amount of money they cost. Specifically, the price of movie tickets (at least where I live) have gone up significantly since the 90s. I found some of my old tickets, and they were priced between 35kr - 55kr. Those were childrens prices, but when I look at the price of childrens tickets today, its 110kr. 115kr for adults.

While new videogames have essentially always been around 699 kr. (With the exception of N64 games that were commonly 799kr)

SvennoJ said:
$60 for a new game, that was a long time ago! CAD 50 is considered a budget game here nowadays.
I paid CAD 101.69 for the metal tin edition of GT Sport when it came out. (incl tax)

So if the standard price of a base game (no steelbook or anything) was let's say $80 where you live, would you shell out $100 - $120 for some games, if it seemed warranted?

That includes waiting for a price drop. It would just mean that its price during a sale would still be higher than the sale price of a game today.

No set prices in the cartridge era. Some $60 but most were 70-80 bucks. Neo Geo carts were $250 on the low end. I do remember seeing a $100 game in a Toys R Us but I cannot remember what it was. 16-bit era is all I know. Thing is even if games even go up to $100 it's not going to stop budgets going higher and even more MTX and bad DLC practices.  It was best during the PS1 through Dreamcast, PS2, GCN and Xbox era. PS1 games were $30-48. After that, we got a standard of $50 and budget games were $20-30. NFL2K5 Brand new sold for $20 MSRP. Then Halo 2 and a year or so later Madden Steel cases happened for $60. I was a manager at Gamestop and we got word from high up it was a test to see if people would pay $60. It worked. Tho I believe Wii kept $50 games.

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 March 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

John2290 said:

Games are on average 69.99 here. (78.00 USD) I feel ripped off when I buy a game new so it's a joy when a game like REmake 2/3, The Outer worlds, Control, The Witcher 3 etc come out with the very reasonable price tag of 59.99 or 65ish USD. We don't pay tax on top but considering we are the dominant market Sony really shafts us. Digital games should never exceed 60 euro, hell there should be a discount by this point at the game considering Gamestop is going under but what really erks me the most is Sony first party games having that 69.99 price tag, it really feels like a kick in the balls for being a loyal costumer and often a first day sale and early adopter of hardware. It makes me wanna, more and more, skip this coming gen for a couple of months to two or three years and let everything lag behind while I play the must plays for a third the price. At some point these price tags will be too much and it'll hurt the industry massively, especially if and when there will be a recession. It's high way robbery to charge so much with such a high profit margin and then sell micro transactions on top. Seeing games like Grid, Tomb raider Shadow whatever the fuck and Fallout 76 go on sale for one fifth the price a month to six weeks after launch has been an eye opener, thankfully I didn't pay a cent but my eyes are still open.

In Brazil last couple years due to dolar hike most games were selling for 250-300 local currency while Sony 1st party were 200. Sorry that they do the opposite where you live.

Hiku said:
Leynos said:
No. I won't return to 8-bit era prices. (yes I am aware of inflation) I pay $60 for something I really want and wait for everything else to go on sale.

What was it like back then? I'm pretty sure at least in Sweden that a new game was commonly the same price as a new game today. Not accounting for inflation. Just the price tag I think was the same. (599 kr) This changed slightly during N64 where many games were commonly 699kr instead.

Ka-pi96 said:
Due to regional pricing I've probably paid more than $60 for every single new game I've ever bought!

Sorry I meant would you be willing to pay notably more for a new game than the common price of a new game today?

Jpcc86 said:

I'd do the same I do now. I'd pay the 80-100 for games im already hyped and waiting for and wait for the rest to be on sale.
Dont see myself quitting or reducing the frequency I buy games- at least not significantly- because of this.

Is that 80-100 just for the base game, or is that the collectors/deluxe editions?
If it's the former, would you be willing to pay more than that if it feels like the product is worth it, and its warranted?

DonFerrari said:
Depend of the game.
Mostly no because in Brazil with a minimum wage of about 200USD a month, 60 is already a lot so most games I wait to drop to around 10-15 to buy.
But yes, Uncharted, GoW, SM and some others I would pay more than 60USD if I weren't tight on cash on the month.

How much is the cost of a new game (just the game, no extras) in your country?
And if some games (when its warranted) charged a bit more, would that seem ok to you? You can wait for that game to drop in price as well, but lets assume its price drop will still be a bit higher than when other games go on sale.

COKTOE said:

Yeah, I still spend $80 ( standard Canadian price) for vanilla games at launch if they mean something to me, or are more "niche" titles. I buy the occasional deluxe edition as well.

I do this less often now due simply to the size of my collection. Prices have had interesting fluctuations and extended periods stability in Canada, and my part of the country throughout my life. My favourite example is always Phantasy Star 2 selling for close to $140. Prices have generally improved here since the 8 bit/early 16 bit time period, but got close to that absurd level again in the early aughts.

$140 is an interesting price tag. 
By the way (something I'll edit into my OP) waiting for a price drop is fine as well. It would just mean that its sale price would be higher than a normal game. So let's say $40 instead of $20, etc.

Chrkeller said:

Wouldn't bother me, I paid more than $60 back in the SNES and N64 games. In order to justify more than $60 I would expect a few things:

1) absolutely no MTX and no DLC, the game should be complete day 1 and I should have immediate access to the entire game
2) high quality, meaning no glitches or patches

At the end of the day I think videogames still offer easily the best bang for the buck in terms of entertainment.  I paid $60 for BotW and put in 200 hours...  Even with smaller/shorter games, I still get 20 hours at $60, which is $3 per hour.  What else in life offers $3 per hour entertainment?  Netflix?  A few weeks back I took my family bowling and it was $60 for an hour.  

I was also thinking about how videogames tend to be high value for the amount of money they cost. Specifically, the price of movie tickets (at least where I live) have gone up significantly since the 90s. I found some of my old tickets, and they were priced between 35kr - 55kr. Those were childrens prices, but when I look at the price of childrens tickets today, its 110kr. 115kr for adults.

While new videogames have essentially always been around 699 kr. (With the exception of N64 games that were commonly 799kr)

SvennoJ said:
$60 for a new game, that was a long time ago! CAD 50 is considered a budget game here nowadays.
I paid CAD 101.69 for the metal tin edition of GT Sport when it came out. (incl tax)

So if the standard price of a base game (no steelbook or anything) was let's say $80 where you live, would you shell out $100 - $120 for some games, if it seemed warranted?

Minimum wage is about R$1000, new games officially in the country R$250-300 (sony used to sell for 200, but this year they bumped to 200 on another dolar hike).

Yes some games I would pay more, but very few, the rest I would do the same as today, wait for it to be under 70 local currency or buy when travelling for the 5-15 in USA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."