By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do you feel about the new Xbox One UI?

smroadkill15 said:
victor83fernandes said:

And this is what Microsoft doesn't seem to get about UI. Consumers do not want to be learning a new UI every couple of years, Look at ps4 and switch, same UI since launch day, if it works then don't break it. You can always improve and add features, but it shouldn't be necessary to change major ways of working it, the basics should be right from day 1, that's very important. 

The reason xbox has so many updates is because it was not good from the start, it needed and still needs a lot of improvement, Sony and Nintendo did it the right way, a perfect UI from day 1, so they really don't need much improvement besides speed and little bugs.

I'm afraid the same will be on next generation, I know this because Microsoft doesn't care for their customers at all, they just want to put adds and ways to make you want to spend money. Selling you games and services seems to be more important to them than to actually please their customers.

The xbox UI is horrible, with pages that I have never used, also for some reason even tough I use an X with all that power and the UI is still slower than my ps4, example boot up is way slower if you have internet connection. Its actually a joke sometimes when it takes minutes to boot up, the X has more RAM than my MacBook, which boots in less than 10 seconds.

Also on my Mac I can remove and add whichever menus and items I want where I want them, you cant remove anything on xbox, you are forced to use it the way Microsoft wants, same with windows actually.

If MS didn't care about it's consumer, they wouldn't be updating the UI to make it better. 

The last part bolded almost gives it away that you don't even have an Xbox or you really haven't spent anytime on it. You can delete and add groups to make things much easier and quicker. You can even get rid of the store, gamepass, community and Mixer from your home screen. Something you couldn't do before. 

Yeah his whole post seems like BS I own a X1 S and a PS 4 slim and even with this update the X1 still has a better UI then the PS4.  The X1 is much more user friendly overall.  Game downloads and updates are handled better on the X1.  Switching games is smoother on the X1 achievements are implemented better then trophies and the X1 has better web browser.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
smroadkill15 said:

If MS didn't care about it's consumer, they wouldn't be updating the UI to make it better. 

The last part bolded almost gives it away that you don't even have an Xbox or you really haven't spent anytime on it. You can delete and add groups to make things much easier and quicker. You can even get rid of the store, gamepass, community and Mixer from your home screen. Something you couldn't do before. 

Yeah his whole post seems like BS I own a X1 S and a PS 4 slim and even with this update the X1 still has a better UI then the PS4.  The X1 is much more user friendly overall.  Game downloads and updates are handled better on the X1.  Switching games is smoother on the X1 achievements are implemented better then trophies and the X1 has better web browser.

It's not even that he dislikes the X1 UI, because everyone has their own opinion and preferences, but he had to make a second post completely shitting on the console, followed by MS as a whole. It was way too obvious at that point. Then top it off with something factually not ever true. He tried way too hard. 

It's kind of amazing how someone will lie just to make a piece of plastic look bad. Pathetic if you think about it. 

Chris Hu said:
smroadkill15 said:

On top of what you said, there's a decent list of features that makes the Xbox One by itself a better machine and just better on paper as well as some things that are just personal opinion. It's why I game on Xbox so much. But (unfortunately?) hardware features matter less and less to the average consumer now that smart TVs are getting better and better, I use them less and less.

But back on subject, as I said before, I prefer the Xbox dashboard. It just feels so connected and alive. Even before I start a game, without talking to anyone, I'm seeing comparisons, progress, new games added to my subscriptions, etc. I love it. And anything I don't love, I can just move or delete.

I wish they brought back the blades from the 360.

PS5/Arcade Gamer

smroadkill15 said:
victor83fernandes said:

And this is what Microsoft doesn't seem to get about UI. Consumers do not want to be learning a new UI every couple of years, Look at ps4 and switch, same UI since launch day, if it works then don't break it. You can always improve and add features, but it shouldn't be necessary to change major ways of working it, the basics should be right from day 1, that's very important. 

The reason xbox has so many updates is because it was not good from the start, it needed and still needs a lot of improvement, Sony and Nintendo did it the right way, a perfect UI from day 1, so they really don't need much improvement besides speed and little bugs.

I'm afraid the same will be on next generation, I know this because Microsoft doesn't care for their customers at all, they just want to put adds and ways to make you want to spend money. Selling you games and services seems to be more important to them than to actually please their customers.

The xbox UI is horrible, with pages that I have never used, also for some reason even tough I use an X with all that power and the UI is still slower than my ps4, example boot up is way slower if you have internet connection. Its actually a joke sometimes when it takes minutes to boot up, the X has more RAM than my MacBook, which boots in less than 10 seconds.

Also on my Mac I can remove and add whichever menus and items I want where I want them, you cant remove anything on xbox, you are forced to use it the way Microsoft wants, same with windows actually.

Microsoft hasn't improved the UI at all, in fact they made it worse, with some stuff more difficult to find.

You must be the one without an xbox if you think you can remove stuff, there's a few pages besides the main page and you can't remove any. Theres also stuff from menus you can't remove. You still can't remove all adds from home screen at all, on the ps4 and switch and wiiU I can personalise the way I want with no adds anywhere.

Sure you can customize a bit more now, but you had to wait until the end of the generation, UI should be good from the first year, too little too late.

Around the Network
TheArcadeGamer said:
I wish they brought back the blades from the 360.

They won't, they need to advertise, all they care is to sell you stuff, they don't care about user experience this is not apple.

Chris Hu said:
smroadkill15 said:

Yeah? Ok how can I easily eject an external hard drive without switching off the console?

Also my xbox X is more powerful than my ps4 pro, so why is the UI still slower? Why sometimes it takes long to boot the console?

And something not too serious, but sometimes (rare) I am playing a game and the app just closes and gives me an error, no big deal, I just open the game again, but this has never happened to me on ps4.

And if your wi-fi is weak, it will take literally minutes to boot the console, the ps4 doesn't have this issue, it starts in seconds with strong or weak wi-fi.

Also, I lose wi-fi connection way more often on xbox, only fix - delete the wi-fi setting,  remove all cables, wait a few seconds and connect everything again. Then setup the wi-fi again. No such issue ever happened to me on ps4.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 09 March 2020

victor83fernandes said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah? Ok how can I easily eject an external hard drive without switching off the console?

Also my xbox X is more powerful than my ps4 pro, so why is the UI still slower? Why sometimes it takes long to boot the console?

I just plug in an external or remove it whenever. Never had a single issue. Hell, one of my Xbox consoles even has three externals! UI on Xbox One has a lot more going on, though. Maybe not things you're interested in but it's busy. 

*Edit* not to say everything is perfect in XBO territory. Sometimes I try to start apps and they just don't start until the second or third try. A couple of times, it says apps aren't installed when they're installed in the internal. 

In any case, I own every major console (besides the og 2001 Xbox) released since like 1996. I think they're all fine in their own way. Everyone has their preference of what they want prioritized and there's some legit complaints but, a lot of the time, it seems like people go looking for things to complain about.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 09 March 2020

victor83fernandes said:
smroadkill15 said:

Microsoft hasn't improved the UI at all, in fact they made it worse, with some stuff more difficult to find.

You must be the one without an xbox if you think you can remove stuff, there's a few pages besides the main page and you can't remove any. Theres also stuff from menus you can't remove. You still can't remove all adds from home screen at all, on the ps4 and switch and wiiU I can personalise the way I want with no adds anywhere.

Sure you can customize a bit more now, but you had to wait until the end of the generation, UI should be good from the first year, too little too late.

What is more difficult to find? I would love to hear it since you don't even know other basic functions or straight up lie about it. 

It's not even hard to remove stuff. Pushing the back button that lets you customize, which allows you to add, remove, and create groups. As far as advertising, the're 2 tabs; one with Ori 2 and the other with GwG. Hardly intrusive by any means.  

victor83fernandes said:
Chris Hu said:

And something not too serious, but sometimes (rare) I am playing a game and the app just closes and gives me an error, no big deal, I just open the game again, but this has never happened to me on ps4.

And if your wi-fi is weak, it will take literally minutes to boot the console, the ps4 doesn't have this issue, it starts in seconds with strong or weak wi-fi.

Also, I lose wi-fi connection way more often on xbox, only fix - delete the wi-fi setting,  remove all cables, wait a few seconds and connect everything again. Then setup the wi-fi again. No such issue ever happened to me on ps4.

I have a 5TB external Hard drive and I'm able to plug it in or remove it whenever without turning my console off. 

Set the power mode to "Instant On." It boots up right away.

That happens sometimes with apps, but hardly ever. 

Wifi has nothing to do with the console booting up. I'm not sure where you are getting this from. Once again, set power mode to "Instant on."

I've never had to any of those things. If I do lose wifi, the issue is with the the router not the xbox.