By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is going to mess up this Gen

There was sooo much more wrong with XB1 prior to launch than just hardware.

Also, MS tried the power marketing with “6 > 4” during the X marketing, and that went absolutely nowhere. So many gamers online were convinced that the X would change the tide and even things out a bit for X, but things only got worse after that initial sales boost from X quickly tapered off. If Sony’s studios are hard at work on quality AAA exclusives, while Sony themselves maintains an overall pro-consumer stance and strong third party ties, then PS5 will do fine. Unlike XSX, PS5 will have actual next gen exclusives at launch, and XSX itself will be held back by the theoretical XSS console.

At this point, I think both Sony and MS are sending a different message to gamers, and it’s naive to assume that the 110 million+ people who bought into PS4 will suddenly change their gaming ideology and go with Xbox’s more streaming focused future.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

They didn't last gen though. And maybe won't this gen.

So, Switch is an 8th gen machine?

VGChartz front page says so.... it has all 3 consoles listed against one another.

Nintendo says so themselves too.

Nintendo Switch Wiki says so as well : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch

"As an eighth-generation console, the Nintendo Switch competes with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4. " - wiki

CGI-Quality said:
JRPGfan said:

VGChartz front page says so.... it has all 3 consoles listed against one another.

Nintendo says so themselves too.

Nintendo Switch Wiki says so as well : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch

"As an eighth-generation console, the Nintendo Switch competes with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4. " - wiki

Wiki isn't a source I use. Can be edited by anyone. However, I'm going to keep in mind all who say this ~ as it means next gen discussions (particularly regarding marketshare) should only involve the XSX/PS5 and Nintendo's next machine.

I know alot think Switch will last forever... however I could see it getting a followup soonish.
A Switch 2 in say.... 2022? that ll be able to run a some PS5/XBX multiplats.

Maybe Nintendo in keeping with the others, make it so that Switch 2, can also play Switch 1 cartridges.

Darwinianevolution said:
dharh said:
Coronavirus could very well kill the next gens launch. More than any of this fan stuff.

This is an oddly possible outcome. I mean, if factories can't really handle the demand due to the paranoia and this results in lower sales due to lack of units, would there be a panic going around publishers about next gen's viability? Would delaying the next gen be better?

I generally leave it to the experts.  So regardless of how bad the impact of the Coronavirus is, and keep in mind it could be far more than just lower factory output (we could have some major economic impacts), if they think a delay is better so be it. 

Last edited by dharh - on 25 February 2020

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

BraLoD said:
*yawn* Sony is doomed is back.

it doesn't really feel like the start of a new gen without it

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
BraLoD said:
*yawn* Sony is doomed is back.

Nintendo is doomed is missing though. No Switchapocalypse, no more games for Switch, Switch can't handle next gen games. Nintendo is safely sitting on the side line enjoying the slowing sales from MS and Sony with likely a slow start for next gen.

ps5 has no games, might as well start now. So far it's still 100% truth :)

SvennoJ said:
Lafiel said:

Nintendo is doomed is missing though. No Switchapocalypse, no more games for Switch, Switch can't handle next gen games. Nintendo is safely sitting on the side line enjoying the slowing sales from MS and Sony with likely a slow start for next gen.

ps5 has no games, might as well start now. So far it's still 100% truth :)

Lies I tell Ya Nuthin but lies,  i'm playing PS5 games now on the PS4 and the switch is doomed, you may ask why it's obvious it doesn't play PS5 games like the PS4.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Well if the ps5 looks anything like that picture then they have no chance at all, they couldn't have cooling to properly cool the console down, so people would complain of their consoles sounding like jet planes, also design wise that looks like a kids toy and not something you would put on your media centre.

But I know for a fact 100% that the design is nothing like that, so I don't need to worry.

Apart from that Sony doesn't need anything else to succeed, they can put the console with weaker specs and being more expensive than xbox, they could even launch without any good games for 3 months, and it still would outsell the xbox. The same way Apple doesn't need to do much to sell, they could just change the colour and that would still sell.

Sony already won the generation without even starting for 1 simple fact - It will run all ps4 games, that fact alone is enough of a guarantee of their success, specially when the great Death stranding, ghosts of tsushima and last of us 2 are around.

I personally might start with xbox this time, but I am not the general public, I am a very informed gamer, 99% of people do not inform themselves about this stuff. I am in Europe (Portugal and UK) and I know of no one who is planning to buy the xbox, and everyone I know (around 20 gamers) are planning already for the ps5 without even knowing anything about it.

People stopped caring for the xbox in Europe a long time ago, most people who still buy them its because they already have a ps4.

The only reason Microsoft is all out with xbox series X is the same reason they sold the 360 much  earlier than ps3, because they are desperate. Sony knows they don't need to worry.

One thing that will hurt the xbox a lot, the name, Xbox one, Xbox one s, one X, series X, and now theres going to be 2 models at launch, people will just get confused and buy the cheaper one X lol same mistake Nintendo did with WiiU. People need to know they are buying the next best thing, sony is doing that really well, ps5 clearly means is the next after ps4 which was next after ps3 and so on.

Bear in mind the general public don't read gaming news, and they will consider xbox series X just another model of xbox X, while the ps5 will be the true next gen console.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 25 February 2020

dharh said:
Coronavirus could very well kill the next gens launch. More than any of this fan stuff.

More people die every month from the common Flu, it didn't affect console sales or launches so far. Stop reading the news, its all made to sell, just like Italy I have friends there and they told me the news is overly exaggerated, people who actually died there a couple were not even from the virus, but they had already cancer. If that is a lie, then I assume most of these news to be blown out of proportion. 

taus90 said:

JRPGfan said:

4) Sony is keeping quiet, because they want to announce the PS5 at a lower price point than Xbox Series X.

Sony has PS4 selling well enough, and still wants to keep selling games on it, so announceing early doesnt make too much sense.
Rather, keeping quiet for aslong as possible, is a way to ensure extra profits. Ontop of this, they want to make 100% sure, that if their unit is "weaker" than the series X, that its atleast sold cheaper.  Until Xbox comes out offically with a price point, Sony wont mention anything.

If PS5 is actually weaker, rather than go into a "spec numbers" war with Xbox series X on social media, they ll just show a sleugh of fantastic looking games & exclusives, and announce a cheaper price point.

ok valid points.. but sony has already announced PS5 if they really didn't want to hurt PS4 sales.. then they wouldnt have bothered wired article and keeping everything tight..

By now everything is locked.. apart from the price, coz its at E3 when MS is going to announce the price.. and I m surely certain that sony is not going to hang around till then to properly reveal the console and let ms have all the mind share till e3. Nobody is asking to reveal the price but assuming that sony will wait for ms to reveal the price first is just ridiculous 

I would guess that SNY 'purposely marched a small army over the hill to get MS to think they very well may have the upper hand, and to advance most of the troops asap to finish the battle quickly. Truth is SNY has a much larger army waiting patiently behind the hill still.'

SNY would've done this to get MS to show their hand early. By starting up the hype train so soon yet so softly, it's hard to believe that MS didn't expect another Feb timed PS console reveal, which meant they had to get info out asap. XB1X ended up a year behind Pro, which didn't really work out well for it, and MS may think it was more so the timing than the specs that were the problem. MS has however realized that SNY is tactically positioned, so at this point in the battle, even though MS has moved past the small group of PS 'soldiers', they have little choice but to continue forward or retreat. With how many people there are constantly dying to hear about new info (the troops being all jacked up for a serious battle), MS has little choice but to continue forward and hope for the best. Retreat at this time would look super weak on their part. However SNY may be wondering, 'does MS have a smaller back up 'Lockhart' army hidden in the trees though, and if so, how do we cautiously proceed?' Is MS partially being aggressive because they do have backup troops awaiting orders to advance?

PS may want time for many reasons. PS4 sales is one. PS5 pricing is another, depending on whether Lockhart comes to market or not vs a single PS5 SKU. Hardware is possible. If PS is arranging for a Lockhart competitor in case it actually get's announced, or another type of device, it's best they wait to see what MS is bringing. If MS is 'crazy' enough to launch Lockhart, what else might they try and launch, especially with all this "play anywhere" talk?

Too many possibilities for things to backfire against SNY. Until SNY knows more they are going to want to hold their advantage as long as possible before making any moves that may end up costing them. With PS3 SNY was on unstable ground and so being aggressive wasn't a bad idea with PS4. MS is now in that same type of position. The difference will be whether SNY screwed up PS5 like MS did XB1, which after PS3 and XB1, I don't know how either could mess up all that much going forward. We'll see.