By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favourite Nintendo system in terms of hardware (Not software)

Of all the Nintendo systems I've owned, I think the only one I've actively disliked from a hardware perspective was the 3DS. (Uncomfortable to hold, nasty low quality screen)

The Wii U loses a lot of points for the dumb second screen gimmick, but at least the Gamepad was comfortable to hold and the console itself was reliable, quiet, small, and looked okay.

Around the Network

For me you need to break it down pre internet and post internet as we do not know what will happen to console that heavily relied on big upates and system patches to play.

I am glad Nintendo was slower than post to get to the stage of full on patches and additional downloads as even the Wii to a degree will work well as a retro console.

For me the winner is the N64 for pre internet, it looked bad ass, had power, made 3D what it is today, the controller was great as some people could not transition from SNES to it. The way they held the controller and used the joystick with thumb and index finger was funny to laugh at.

Post internet probably the Wii U (as hardware). Was fun playing multiplayer games with a mate in the same room jsut chatting away, one on screen and one on tv.

Switch for me is a step backwards in some aspect to that concept. Also the fact that basic functions that excited on Wii U have been stripped from Switch makes it annoying. i.e. can transfer from internal to mircoSD. have to "archive" then it redownloads again onto the microSD. Imagine years later once Nintendo shuts down the online service. Your mircoSD corrupts and you can't even download the patches no more lol. Or in case of the switch half a game as devs did not give you the full game on cart.

Cobretti2 said:
Switch for me is a step backwards in some aspect to that concept. Also the fact that basic functions that excited on Wii U have been stripped from Switch makes it annoying. i.e. can transfer from internal to mircoSD. have to "archive" then it redownloads again onto the microSD. Imagine years later once Nintendo shuts down the online service. Your mircoSD corrupts and you can't even download the patches no more lol. Or in case of the switch half a game as devs did not give you the full game on cart.

I would like to see mechanical hard drive support for the Switch, mostly for cold-storage reasons.

Because a MicroSD/NAND will corrupt, it's a matter of when.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cobretti2 said:

I would like to see mechanical hard drive support for the Switch, mostly for cold-storage reasons.

Agree.  This is my fear. In the end I will own a shiny brick.

The switch has the most potential to be my favourite hardware if they thought about all these things and released it via their updates. Even save files and game data shouldn't be tied to a console. I shoudl be able to connect my extra drive to my dock or whatever and it should work with any console.  Even if they allowed that at the end of a generation I'd settle for that.

Cobretti2 said:
Pemalite said:

The switch has the most potential to be my favourite hardware if they thought about all these things and released it via their updates. Even save files and game data shouldn't be tied to a console. I shoudl be able to connect my extra drive to my dock or whatever and it should work with any console.  Even if they allowed that at the end of a generation I'd settle for that.

Also an opportunity to sell an enhanced dock with a built-in 5400rpm mechanical drive support for a higher ticket price.

Then I would also like to be given the ability to buy and store Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance games onto it... Rather than have it locked behind by a paid online service.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Cobretti2 said:

Also an opportunity to sell an enhanced dock with a built-in 5400rpm mechanical drive support for a higher ticket price.

Then I would also like to be given the ability to buy and store Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance games onto it... Rather than have it locked behind by a paid online service.

I’d want the option for both, like music on iTunes; but I’d be happier with getting the games for free with the online service. The more important element is that they are available on future hardware, and not wiped out like the Wii VC.

Also, I would like to see some significant upgrades to hardware as well. The next hybrid Switch to have a sim card slot, access to programs like Skype, better touch screen, all of this on top of more power. The moment when unlimited data began to become the norm is when Nintendo should have begun seriously looking at this. The next Switch could seriously benefit from mobile connection.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pemalite said:

Nah. Can't stand the Joycons for anything semi-fast paced.

The Analogue stick is too small, the buttons are to small and close-together, no D-Pad, it makes using them for anything that is even slightly faced-paced a chore.

I personally don't undock my Switch though... And I use a Pro-Controller that resembles an Xbox One controller, it's a far better experience, I would sell my Switch in a heartbeat if Nintendo released a non-portable Switch.

But hey, we are all different at the end of the day.

Finally someone with the same issue! Since the Switch launched I have been amazed how nobody complained about the horrible ergonomics of the handheld mode. It almost made me think I was the only person in the world with big hands. It was also the only reason I did not pick up the Switch until last year.

Because of the hand cramps in handheld mode I eventually bought a Satisfye grip, which is not a cheap accessory, but makes the Switch very comfortable to play for me. I highly recommend it. Now I enjoy my Switch very much, but it's funny to think how some third party accessory producer had to fix Nintendo's design issues for me to be able to.

On topic: Because of the bad ergonomics I can't really love the Switch. I guess I have to pick the WiiU, because as much of nostalgia I have for my N64, I liked it mostly for its software.

I never got this whole hate towards the WiiU gamepad. I loved being able to play in bed, type in movie titles in the Amazon Prime app and create Mario Maker levels with the touch screen. Rayman Legends and Nintendoland were some of the most fun local multiplayer experiences for me because of the WiiU gamepad. I also liked the downward compatibility and support of the Wii Mote.

Last edited by BillyBlaze - on 03 March 2020

DS Lite is the best, with the SNES and New 3DS XL as runner ups.

BillyBlaze said:
Pemalite said:

Nah. Can't stand the Joycons for anything semi-fast paced.

The Analogue stick is too small, the buttons are to small and close-together, no D-Pad, it makes using them for anything that is even slightly faced-paced a chore.

I personally don't undock my Switch though... And I use a Pro-Controller that resembles an Xbox One controller, it's a far better experience, I would sell my Switch in a heartbeat if Nintendo released a non-portable Switch.

But hey, we are all different at the end of the day.

Finally someone with the same issue! Since the Switch launched I have been amazed how nobody complained about the horrible ergonomics of the handheld mode. It almost made me think I was the only person in the world with big hands. It was also the only reason I did not pick up the Switch until last year.

Because of the hand cramps in handheld mode I eventually bought a Satisfye grip, which is not a cheap accessory, but makes the Switch very comfortable to play for me. I highly recommend it. Now I enjoy my Switch very much, but it's funny to think how some third party accessory producer had to fix Nintendo's design issues for me to be able to.

On topic: Because of the bad ergonomics I can't really love the Switch. I guess I have to pick the WiiU, because as much of nostalgia I have for my N64, I liked it mostly for its software.

I never got this whole hate towards the WiiU gamepad. I loved being able to play in bed, type in movie titles in the Amazon Prime app and create Mario Maker levels with the touch screen. Rayman Legends and Nintendoland were some of the most fun local multiplayer experiences for me because of the WiiU gamepad. I also liked the downward compatibility and support of the Wii Mote.

I have big hands, to the point where I find the PS1-PS3 dualshock uncomfortably small, and yeah the Joycons are smaller than I'd consider ideal, but I really don't find them that bad. Sub-optimal yes, but perfectly acceptable. I've never felt the urge to buy a Pro controller, and considering the way the system needs to function, I'm not sure making them much bigger would be viable. It's already large for a handheld.

Gamecube, followed closely by the N64. Only because the Gamecube had an incredible controller.

Software aside, Gamecube was incredibly powerful, very small, had the Gameboy Advance addon plus the best controller ever made by Nintendo.