By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favourite Nintendo system in terms of hardware (Not software)

JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:

Pretty much all of the stuff the Switch can’t do are unimportant features... except for proper IR aiming, that’s missed in some games. If RE4 would have had motion aiming on Switch, I’d have replaced my Wii version with that one.

It can't streetpass.  And if you say street pass isn't an important feature I will fucking cut you.

I stand corrected. Street Pass was a lot of fun.

Now put the knife down!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
The Switch is basically perfect, the only issue with it being the durability of the Joy-Cons. Everything else is bliss.

The same can't be said for any other Nintendo console as far as I care. The NES and SNES were decent but had your usual oldschool cartridge issues and somewhat uncomfortable controllers for grown-ups. The 64 still had the same issues, coupled with the worst controller ever made. The GameCube was alright, I guess, but the mini-discs were a hindrance in a few ways. The Wii had extremely low quality controllers, and the Wii U had an OS so slow it painful navigating the thing.

The handhelds have always been pretty much the same. Kinda uncomfortable for long periods, but not too awful. Limited hardware in terms of power. AA batteries sucked back in the day too, so on that alone all Game Boy variations up to the Advance SP would be immediately out of the running, but even from then on, nothing compares to the Switch. Not even close.

The Switch is small enough to be portable, large enough to make playing games on it feel like the real deal, has great graphical power for a handheld, looks slick, has fantastic controllers (though not too durable), a fast and snappy OS and also very fast loading times, sleep mode, everything about it is just too good.

The only issue I have had with the joy cons are sometimes they desync when something gets in the way, and they can get dust on the sensors causing them to drift, can be cleaned.

The only controllers I had durability issues with were the N64 controllers that wore out over time.

Switch or Wii U.

Switch is an incredible wee machine. Nintendo can never go back to standard home consoles again. With a bit more power - and the option to add personalized themes! - it'd be untouchable.
With the Wii U, I've always seen it as the machine that the Wii should've been. HD, Miiverse was excellent, the eShop is a godsend... Very underrated.

Weird for me, one of my least favourite from a software and thus overall perspective is perhaps my favourite from a pure hardware perspective; the Gamecube.

It was small, powerful, reliable, quiet, and cute as a button. It's internal chipset was beautifully balanced without any real bottlenecks or unnecessarily convoluted design. I even like the purple colour, the adorable mini-discs, and the pop-top.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The Switch due to it's versatility.

Wii U is and it's tablet controller is second, followed by the Gamecube and it's excellent button layout

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wii U is and it's tablet controller is second, followed by the Gamecube and it's excellent button layout

I felt the Gamecube had the worst button layout of any major console by a current manufacturer, ever. Try playing 2D fighters or even 2D platformers more advanced than Super Mario Bros with that thing, they're practically unplayable. Also, the tiny Z trigger was easy to miss.

There's a reason no other controller was made like it.

In terms of hardware... Switch leaves a lot to be desired in terms of portablity. Also, is not backwards compatible with any other Nintendo console.

I guess I'll stick with NDS Lite. Clam Shell, tiny enough to fit in your pocket, backwards compatible with GBA... and first Nintendo console with online (free, btw). 3DS is pretty much the same, but to me GBA > DS, so...

If the Wii U had been more powerful and also BC with gamecube, it would probably had come out on top for me.

I really miss being able to use the Wii-motes IR for point and click or aiming.  That said, 3 years into it and no CoD on Switch to make use of it.

Jumpin said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I felt the Gamecube had the worst button layout of any major console by a current manufacturer, ever. Try playing 2D fighters or even 2D platformers more advanced than Super Mario Bros with that thing, they're practically unplayable. Also, the tiny Z trigger was easy to miss.

I played Soul Calibur 2 and Melee just fine on the Gamecube. Didn't have any problems with those or any other of my games.

On the other hand, they made QTE's much easier for me, as one could feel the right button just by it's shape (and the fact that the button prompts also generally had the shape of the button). I always needed to look down for these on Playstation (I can never remember which shape is where), but never on the Gamecube.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jumpin said:

I played Soul Calibur 2 and Melee just fine on the Gamecube. Didn't have any problems with those or any other of my games.

On the other hand, they made QTE's much easier for me, as one could feel the right button just by it's shape (and the fact that the button prompts also generally had the shape of the button). I always needed to look down for these on Playstation (I can never remember which shape is where), but never on the Gamecube.

Whenever my husband asks me how to do something in a Playstation game, I'll often say something like "Oh you need to press B then Y" and he looks at me like "There's no B or Y here!!!" "Oh sorry, X then Square".

Signature goes here!