By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Favourite Nintendo system in terms of hardware (Not software)

Bofferbrauer2 said:
The Switch due to it's versatility.

Wii U is and it's tablet controller is second, followed by the Gamecube and it's excellent button layout

I felt the Gamecube had the worst button layout of any major console by a current manufacturer, ever. Try playing 2D fighters or even 2D platformers more advanced than Super Mario Bros with that thing, they're practically unplayable. Also, the tiny Z trigger was easy to miss.

There's a reason no other controller was made like it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

In terms of hardware... Switch leaves a lot to be desired in terms of portablity. Also, is not backwards compatible with any other Nintendo console.

I guess I'll stick with NDS Lite. Clam Shell, tiny enough to fit in your pocket, backwards compatible with GBA... and first Nintendo console with online (free, btw). 3DS is pretty much the same, but to me GBA > DS, so...

If the Wii U had been more powerful and also BC with gamecube, it would probably had come out on top for me.

I really miss being able to use the Wii-motes IR for point and click or aiming.  That said, 3 years into it and no CoD on Switch to make use of it.

Jumpin said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
The Switch due to it's versatility.

Wii U is and it's tablet controller is second, followed by the Gamecube and it's excellent button layout

I felt the Gamecube had the worst button layout of any major console by a current manufacturer, ever. Try playing 2D fighters or even 2D platformers more advanced than Super Mario Bros with that thing, they're practically unplayable. Also, the tiny Z trigger was easy to miss.

I played Soul Calibur 2 and Melee just fine on the Gamecube. Didn't have any problems with those or any other of my games.

On the other hand, they made QTE's much easier for me, as one could feel the right button just by it's shape (and the fact that the button prompts also generally had the shape of the button). I always needed to look down for these on Playstation (I can never remember which shape is where), but never on the Gamecube.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jumpin said:

I played Soul Calibur 2 and Melee just fine on the Gamecube. Didn't have any problems with those or any other of my games.

On the other hand, they made QTE's much easier for me, as one could feel the right button just by it's shape (and the fact that the button prompts also generally had the shape of the button). I always needed to look down for these on Playstation (I can never remember which shape is where), but never on the Gamecube.

Whenever my husband asks me how to do something in a Playstation game, I'll often say something like "Oh you need to press B then Y" and he looks at me like "There's no B or Y here!!!" "Oh sorry, X then Square".

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:

I really miss being able to use the Wii-motes IR for point and click or aiming.  That said, 3 years into it and no CoD on Switch to make use of it.

Yeah, I also really, really miss IR pointing.

At least gyro controls have become standard for shooters on Switch which is at least a big step up from analogue alone, but if there's one thing I'd love to see in Switch 2 it's some kind of more advanced and smaller IR camera that can act as a pointer without the need for a sensor bar.

Definitely the gamecube, I loved the small discs, the controller, and it was strong as a rock. I had the black one, it was beautiful.

The switch is by far the worse Nintendo hardware, you drop it you break the whole system, has the worst controller too, and its a pain to recharge the battery, you need to put on the stand to recharge and you cant play while charging unless you buy extra hardware. Also when playing portable, the joycons are not that strongly attached, I've tested 3 switches and all have the issue that you feel the joycons moving slightly when playing hard. 

The main reason the switch is one of the worse Nintendo hardware related is specs, its nowhere near the competition, while consoles like NES, SNES, N64 and gamecube were on par or better than the competition specs wise. Example, N64 was more powerful than a ps1, SNES was on par with megadrive, Gamecube was more powerful than ps2.

The switch was not even close to ps4, a system launched 3 years before.

Also, it has the worst cross of any system ever.

The N64 was great, I loved that the cartridges had no loading, just didn't like the design much.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 26 February 2020

Jranation said:
100% The Switch.
- You dont need to actually shut down the system. It acts like a phone where you can instantly play a game (which you didnt close) and skipping the loading times to boot it up.
- Able to play on TV and handheld is easily done.
- The loading times to access the settings or the eshop is the fastest I have seen from a Nintendo console.

The main negative of the Switch is the Joycons. They need to make the buttons bigger and not allowing the analog stick to drift. And it is sooo expensive.

Well because its actually using battery/power by doing so, you could do the same with any other console, just leave it on, never switch off.

But all that time saved, you need to use for updates, installations, loadings, stuff that gamecube and N64 and SNES didn't have

eshop is software not hardware, loading times didn't even exist before the wii. As in, with gamecube as example, no installs, no updates, no loadings, just pop the disc and play.

Expensive/cost is nothing to do with hardware, that's not the topic of discussion, it was asked only about hardware.

KungKras said:
SNES

It was good, but not as strong as a gamecube, and cartridges sometimes didn't work you had to blow inside the cartridge or system.

Soren0079 said:
It's a tie between the Gameboy Advance and the Wii. They are both little hardware tanks. I've put them through so much gaming but they still run like a dream.

Wii was definitely not as strong as a gamecube, the sensor made it fiddly to use and setup and discs were bigger, Gameboy also not as strong, the screen was breakable and not very capable with hardware specs for its time, the gamecube had way better specs hardware wise.