By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's not only Sony...Geoff Keighley is also skipping E3 , first time in 25 years

Radek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

How exactly has the Dorito Pope been “working for years and years” to keep it alive and relevant? Hasn’t he leaked various things in the past? I know I remember he leaked stuff about Scorpio before MS’s E3 presentation. How is that making E3 relevant? Seems like that’s the opposite.

I watch E3 every year and didn’t even know he had some special E3 production. This could be something as trivial as not wanting to conflict with his own gaming event. Or maybe Sony even snagged him for the PS5 event. There’s also rumors that they’re making E3 a lot more focused on influencers and celebrities and maybe he just feels like he wouldn’t generate enough buzz.

Bizarre that before he announced he wasn’t going, no one gave a shit about Dorito Pope at E3. Now he’s not going and he’s been the mastermind behind E3 for years and it will crumble without him 😆

Way to discredit the man using old memes.

He's a fantastic host, has good stage presence and is easy to understand for me as a non native English speaker.

25 years of working on E3 ain't something you can just downplay.

Uh, you said yourself it’s a meme, it doesn’t discredit him. He agreed to that Doritos nonsense. 

Also are you interpreting “he worked for years to keep E3 alive and relevant” as simply “he covered E3 and did his job as a journalist”? Because I took it to mean something more than simply covering E3. So no, no one is trying to downplay his 25 years of working E3. But tons of journalists cover E3 every year. The post made it seem as if Dorito Pope did something special to really keep E3 going.

Around the Network

I hope it makes e3 learn some lessons to bring back the industry together in a better shape next year. I want e3 to get over it and comeback as the true and only worldwide gaming event of the year as it's supposed to be.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I don't see E3 surviving past the next 5 years. Nintendo hasn't had a major conference since 2012. Sony is a no-show, now. I get that are still big publishers, but the big three pull a ton of weight.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

twintail said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I haven't seen one event where I thought Geoff Keighley's presence made it better.  Instead my reaction is normally, "dammit not this guy again".

While I am likewise in the camp of having little interest in Keighley, there's no denying that he is one of the most connected guys in the industry. 

Kind of irrelevant to what I was originally saying.  I go back to my original statement.  Him not being there makes E3 better.

Wman1996 said:
I don't see E3 surviving past the next 5 years. Nintendo hasn't had a major conference since 2012. Sony is a no-show, now. I get that are still big publishers, but the big three pull a ton of weight.

I wouldn't be so certain. E3 could call the industry VIPs next year and ask them for what they want E3 to be and then comeback with the industry back supporting it.

It seems to me that E3 management is trying to change the show without consulting their true partners: the big 3 and publishers.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Isn't E3 mostly about industry people meeting industry people for business matters? Gamers are just ants allowed to run around.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

RIP

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

This is the biggest non-story of the year. You're average person doesn't care about Keighley or even know who he is. He's someone who inserts himself into things and he's starting to do that with Gamescon. No one was watching E3 Coliseum. I wouldn't be surprise if the real reason he's out is his show was done away with. I think this only gain relevancy because Sony is dropping out.

There are some questions about where E3 should go. It wants fans to attend but doesn't want to lose being a super special insider club. The obvious way to "fix" E3 is to do what Gamescom already does. Have Press Only Monday and part of Tuesday and have the rest of it open to the public. ESA doesn't do this because the ESA is run by chimps.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life