By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo waiting on Sony for the next direct?

Is Nintendo waiting on Sony?

Yes 5 8.47%

NO 54 91.53%

Total:59
AAA300 said:

The rumor of Sony having a big ps5 event in February has me thinking that maybe the delay in the next direct may be because of it. Could Nintendo be holding off on their next direct until after this event in hopes to steal some of Sony's thunder? It would explain this long delay as we usually have a big direct by now. It would be a good  idea to keep the news from being all next gen. with a boat load of new  games. Does any else think this will happen?

Good theory, good to know a direct about a game is being delayed for a direct about a console... neat.

Around the Network

Nintendo stopped caring what the competition has been doing since Wii in 2006. I don't think Sony is the reason.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Nintendo stopped caring what the competition has been doing since Wii in 2006. I don't think Sony is the reason.

As if Nintendo knew anything about Sony’s schedule for PS5 news and reveal.

Bandorr said:
Dulfite said:

The trustworthy internet rumors state Sony will sell ps5 at a loss. Nintendo will not sell Animal Crossing at a loss, therefore they will make far more profit on each sold whereas Sony will make NEGATIVE. Do you hear me they will make BELOW ZERO. Their sales will be near ABSOLUTE ZERO in profit.

/Thread times two

#iamsorightamiright

Are you drunk? This reads like the ramblings of a drunk.  The PS5 will probably sold at a loss.  I'm actually not sure what console has ever been sold (at the start) at not a loss.  Probably even the switch was sold as a loss.

And again you're comparing a $60 game to a game console that has no price or release date.

The Gamecube was always sold at a profit. Nintendo actually made more money than Sony during that stretch with GBA plus GCN. Microsoft lost nearly $1B on the original Xbox - it was never sold at a profit to my knowledge. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Bandorr said:
StuOhQ said:

The Gamecube was always sold at a profit. Nintendo actually made more money than Sony during that stretch with GBA plus GCN. Microsoft lost nearly $1B on the original Xbox - it was never sold at a profit to my knowledge. 

That is interesting information. Yikes at the 1B, but neat at the gamecube.

I think it was several billions in losses for the xbox. Apparently MS made a rookie mistake when signing contracts with nvidea, making the main components keep their initial price. So manufacturing costs of xboxes stayed about the same over the years, meaning MS bled more and more money with retail pricecuts.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Nu-13 said:

I think it was several billions in losses for the xbox. Apparently MS made a rookie mistake when signing contracts with nvidea, making the main components keep their initial price. So manufacturing costs of xboxes stayed about the same over the years, meaning MS bled more and more money with retail pricecuts.

Between you two I'm tempted to google some of this because I've never heard it before.

But I'm also really lazy. I wonder which one will win out?

Find out next time on... DRAGON BALL Z!!!!

Dulfite said:
Bandorr said:

Between you two I'm tempted to google some of this because I've never heard it before.

Find out next time on... DRAGON BALL Z!!!!

^^^ This comment wins out :D

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Well Switch doesn't even directly compete with PS5 so why would they do it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I've got a feeling that it'll be March when we get a Direct.

1doesnotsimply

Bandorr said:
Nu-13 said:

You are about the same age as me yet you claim not to know Nintendo systems usually never sold at a loss.  In fact the Wii U was their only system that was sold at loss or near break even.  I believe it took it a year or two before it was not sold at a loss.  It isn't hard to see Nintendo's strategy when developing systems. If you have been paying attention since NES and Game Boy days then you would understand their strategy. 

They don't push for cutting edge but look for best parts available potentially years prior to develop a system that makes money and is affordable to the mass consumer.  Even when they were in power race from SNES to GC days home console wise they still demanded profit on each system sold.  They never have cared to push for power in handheld race because they have defeated all competitors when it comes to handhelds with systems that were always inferior in power compared to their rivals.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 11 February 2020