By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NVIDIA GeForce Now streams your PC collection for FREE

Could be good if my GPU breaks, but not sure who and why a pc gamer would use this.

Around the Network

Umm didn't Steam release a free app that replaces the steam link for smart TVs? I have no clue because my house is full of dumb TV's hooked up with rokus. I do remember reading on steam link page that they have an app now. I have a steam link that I got for 5 dollars plus like 10 shipping and when I had 1 gb connection it worked good (wifi is always way less but I was probably getting 40 to 50 mb on wifi). Now that I went with cheaper internet (100 mb Ethernet probably 15 to 20 mb wifi) it doesn't work that good. I can only play turn based games now. So this streaming shit just doesn't work good unless you have wifi in the 40 to 50 mb range or a new house that has Ethernet wall connections throughout house.

I got the 90-days-trial and tried some games. The only game so far that runs better on Geforce Now than on my old GTX 1070 is Quake 2 RTX.
But that game runs very good with 50 - 60 fps... my own GPU only manages 7 fps.

Too bad that most other of my games with RTX-features aren't available yet in Geforce now (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XV, Control) and that it can't be combined with PC GamePass (Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood).

Leynos said:
Nope. No ownership, no thanks.

But it's literally the games you own that you're able to play with this...

Come on people, you aren't even trying, are you?

haxxiy said:
Leynos said:
Nope. No ownership, no thanks.

I don't own it unless I can hold it

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

if you are pc gamer then you already don't own any game besides sometimes an empty box with a serial key in it, so you are not losing anything. people who already have this games and have a shitty pc or are abroad can play them for free for a quick session. or you can play any f2p game which is available on this platforms. adding drm free games would be the next step up but this wouldn't be possible without enabling piracy.

This seems a much better proposition than Stadia on my opinion. Sure someone that already have a big library on either of these 3 services may already have a good PC, but this way they can play on phone (1h session for free seem very good for this) and whenever the graphics demand increase the service may already be mature and person could skip upgrading their rig.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
haxxiy said:

I don't own it unless I can hold it

Well then, sounds like you won't be a gamer for long, because the direction is clear. Also, if you consider yourself a PC gamer, you must have a really hard time anyway. And finally, that's also a really poor criterion, because at least on PC, these days 'hold it' pretty much means "here's a code in a box", which is not at all better than not holding it at all. Of course if you're not a PC gamer, that's not your problem (yet).

I get where you're coming from though, because I kind of feel the same way. It's just really hard to be a PC gamer these days if you want to own everything the way you define it. To me, GOG seems like a reasonable compromise, but even limiting yourself to GOG puts lots of games off-limits, so I don't do even that. I'm definitely not a fan of how things are evolving.

Owning the games already and getting to use it for nothing sounds semi decent, but streaming will never be a thing for me, so I'm not the target audience, nor interested in using it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Tested it yesterday on my laptop via wifi and the connection was unstable.

Also you have to install titles one by one, each game link is an access to a remote desktop were you install the game (and only that game) via the store of choice. Strange you can't link your accounts, see the compatible titles and select which ones to install.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 07 February 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"