By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you like Super Mario Sunshine?

Tagged games:

Super Mario Sunshine?

Yay! 40 66.67%

Nah... 11 18.33%

Never played it 9 15.00%

Total:60

Fucking loved it. It got pretty hard at times, though. And the camera in certain areas was insanely bad. Like the absolute worst I've ever seen and I'm not being hyperbolic.

Around the Network

Not really. The main setting felt very bland and I didn't particularly enjoyed the FLUD mechanics.

It should be noted that I dislike all the actual open 3D Marios (64, Sunshine and Odyssey). 64 plays clunky now a days, Sunshine is already covered... and Odyssey felt like a neverending story of unimportant tasks.

I enjoy a lot more the Galaxy and 3D World series. They more focused games in which every level or World feels unique and the objective feels important.

My least favorite of the 3d Mario games by quite a bit. It's still alright though.

It's my favorite 3D Mario. I don't really understand all the hate about this game.
I played it when I was young and after playing Super Mario 64 so I may feel differently if I played it now for the first time
But I just have the best memories with this game than any other 3D Mario.
The Phantamanta in Sirena Beach is still one of my favorite bosses. The first level, Pinna park with the rollercoaster and the harbour were all very cool levels
Would really love to have a remaster on Switch!

I hated this game as a child. Not because it was Mario, but because I played it after Galaxy and I thought it was too difficult.

I should revisit one of these days and see how both me and the game have aged.

Around the Network

I adore that game. Switch remaster please.

It was alright, though it’s the one Mario game I’m not compelled to revisit anytime soon.

Still have nightmares of some of the levels, like the rollercoaster mission with the balloons, the panchinko level, the lillypad level...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

When it came out people didn't like it very much (at least for a Mario game), it was generally considered a big step down from Mario 64, mostly it seemed because it had a lot less pure platforming due to having the FLUDD used like a jetpack. But it is a very good game. Kinda like the Wind Waker on Gamecube, it got a lot of hate when it came out for being different but eventually people started to love it.

I'd put it behind all the other 3D console Mario's (well, I haven't played 3D World), but it is still a really good game.

I first played it in 2004, shortly after my family got a GameCube. I fell in love with it, and it's one of my favorite games. It's one of those defining video games in my life. The music is so terrific and adds so much to the atmosphere. It still blows my mind how they got the water to look so good on a cartoony game on the GameCube.
I do want Nintendo to keep Mario from getting stale, but I think a direct Super Mario Sunshine sequel would actually help with that. It's very different from most Mario platformers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

While it's a rather bland and mediocre game in its own right, being sandwiched between the revolutionary Mario 64 and one of the best games of all time in Mario Galaxy does it no favours. Compared to them it just feels so tepid and listless.