By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Switch get third party support post PS5?

Will Switch get AAA support after 9-th gen consoles launch

Yes, as good or better 25 34.25%

Yes, but less games 18 24.66%

Yes, Switch will get exclusives 11 15.07%

No, just spinoff games 9 12.33%

No, Switch will get dropped 10 13.70%

Total:73
Nu-13 said:
curl-6 said:

But if it's gonna miss out otherwise, I don't see what's wrong with, say, Nintendo slipping Platinum a fiver to port Nier Automata for example.

In that case, wouldn't it be Square enix? Anyway, no company will pay for what must be free and that's what is wrong with the idea.

It wouldn't be free though, I'm talking about cases where it otherwise just wouldn't be ported at all.

Around the Network

I think so, espically from Japanese developers if the PS5 has a slow start in Japan or is down from the PS4 initially.

curl-6 said:
Nu-13 said:

In that case, wouldn't it be Square enix? Anyway, no company will pay for what must be free and that's what is wrong with the idea.

It wouldn't be free though, I'm talking about cases where it otherwise just wouldn't be ported at all.

Nothing is ever free and platform holders make royalties of the sales afterwards.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

the part im most interested in is how slowly the ps5 takes off in japan. the ps4 had a bad start, decent middle but slow end, from what i'm seeing of japanese sales, switch has long become the dominent console. ps4 is selling 8k when switch is selling 100k last week. total units is 12.1 mil vs 8.8 mil currently.
with the switch being 'powerful enough' a lot of japanese devs might have already started developing games for switch and porting it to ps4 instead of the other way around, and if thats the case, to them the additional power of the ps5 means jack shit over portability and affordability.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Nothing is ever free and platform holders make royalties of the sales afterwards.

That's the thing, it'd be worth Nintendo's while not only so they have more games to plug holes in their release schedule and keep consumers happy. If they wanna give a dev who would otherwise skip the system an incentive to invest, I'm all for that as an owner.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
It depends. I imagine any cross-gen games could still potentially be ported to the Switch. But once third parties stop supporting the PS4 & XBO, it's likely that the only games they'll release for the Switch are either remasters of old games or new titles made especially for the Switch, which will probably not be common in either case. Well, except for Ubisoft, who will probably keep releasing Just Dance for the Switch for the next decade like they did with the Wii.

Don't forget about indies and other non-demanding games. Those aren't going to go PS5/XSX/High-spec-PC only.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 February 2020

Radek said:
I wonder if Switch could handle RDR2 in 540p on lowest details, probably not as it's much more demanding than Witcher 3 on my PC.

It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it could be done. Both games are 1080p/30fps with some framerate drops on PS4. RDR2 is a little lower res on Xbone but not by much; 864p vs 900p.

Genuine, non cash-grabby AAA support is not great today, and will probably get worse, but at this point Nintendo shouldn't care. With a new batch of big first party titles on the horizon and indie studios choosing them over all other platforms, they have enough to get by with, much better than they did with the Wii, with similar limitations.

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it could be done. Both are 1080p/30fps with some framerate drops on PS4. RDR2 is a little lower res on Xbone but not by much; 864p vs 900p.

I can actually make a 540p screenshot quite easily by setting my res to 1080p and enabling 0.5X resolution scale in RDR2 graphics settings.

540p resolution on 1080p screen, but settings are still medium-high with ultra textures as I was too lazy to change that lol.

Open the picture in new tab so it's fullscreen.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad in 540p, but this is not lowest settings.

It'd look a lot more cut down than that in terms of the detail and settings, but I honestly think a Switch port would be doable. A year ago I would've said hell no, but then a year ago I also would've said hell no to Witcher 3.