By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Here's how the next gen is gonna play out

Pyro as Bill said:
sales2099 said:

Oh I assume you a Nintendo guy. I meant Japan in relation to Xbox vs PS. 

I wouldn’t count out Xcloud. It’s only a soft release now in very few countries and it is a few years away from an official roll out. But that just means it won’t be a half assed launch like Stadia. So far early impressions are very positive, even for fast paced games like Halo 5. Def has more potential when using an Xbox to stream on a home TV. 

xcloud and the rest of them will be crap. It's possible we'll see backgrounds and AI 'streamed' but it seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Ie. if the choice is streaming FIFA 2022 or playing a native version based on a FIFA16 engine, i think i know what most people would choose.

If XSX can become the workhorse in the house and stream to everything else then yeah i suppose that would count as streaming taking off.

It’s really just a clever loophole to get people playing Xbox without actually buying a console. Playing on your home wifi alone is viable, but of course will never compete with traditional gaming. 

But you shouldn’t dismiss it forever. It will be more mass market as the years go on. MS actually being very careful with their small and slow preview roll out 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

"Sony - aim for PC gamers. PS5 will be an extremely capable home console. Sony games will appear on PC. Sony will differentiate from the PC experience and use tech to provide a better console experience".

So like, apart from simply taking on the natural action of selling to the PC platform, what exactly has Sony "differentiating" between their console/PC releases?. All you've said at the end is "consoles get the better experience", and I'm wondering where that leaves PC, because we know what PC's are capable of doing, so whatever tech is used on consoles, can also be adopted on PC and vice versa (if anything PC gets new tech the most before consoles ever do, so I'm not sure how this makes them different).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

There's almost no way Switch will outsell PS4. The PS4 has already passed the Wii and PS1. PS4 is looking at 120-135 million title units sold. Now will the Switch outsell the PS5? Probably. Even if the PS5 sells more than the PS3, I don't see it surpassing the PS4 and PS2. Let's all remember that the PS4 has been a sales homerun because of Nintendo and Microsoft screwing up. The Wii U had horrible marketing and an underutilized gamepad. Xbox One forced Kinect 2.0 down your throats, leading to a ridiculous $500 price tag.
The PS5 will have a harder battle than the PS4. The Xbox Series X looks to be a much better console than the Xbox One. The Switch will still thrive for at least a few more years, and then get a successor midway through the life of the PS5.
As for the subscription aspect, I don't see Sony releasing almost all of their first-party lineup on Windows. Especially not the way Microsoft has been doing it. Yes, we'll see more Sony games on Windows, but I don't think it will be that big of a game-changer. Sony wants you to buy their hardware. Just look at their stance on cross-play.
Nintendo would have to add a lot to their online to justify a $60 yearly subscription. Either greatly improve the online itself, or add N64 and GameCube titles. I hope they do both, and I hope their online subscription doesn't go up to $60/year anytime soon.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

My wants: MS/Sony and Nintendo release all games on PC. One can dream right?
But OP, would not surprise me if the next 2-3 years we are all consumed within subscriptions.

Pyro as Bill said:
TheArcadeGamer said:
I doubt the Xbox Series X will play Ps5 games. That would look bad on Sony's part.

What's Sony's alternative?

Try and get the 30m non-Xbox loyalists to buy a loss making PS5 or double their software sales on Windows?

edit:if Sony goes PC and i think they will, it's a flick of the switch for MS to make them appear on that tower thing they call an xbox

So does this mean they will be able to flip it based on last time, or when they say they can't this time, they legitimately won't be able to? If we've learned anything, it's that anything is possible with XB 180.