By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation fans are the most brand loyal fan according to research, follow with Xbox fan, Nintendo and PC

DarthMetalliCube said:
Cobretti2 said:
Nah that survey is wrong.

Nintendo fans are loyal. They the only crazy enough ones to buy a console for 1st party games only lol. Also look at second hand games market. Even the Wii with some 20million plus sale games, hardly saw them on second hand market. With the other two so many second hand copies of games that come out only a month prior.

Imagine if Sony lost all their 3rd party support to XBOX. How much of that crowd would swing towards XBOX?

It's easy to do when the first party software is so consistently solid :P (for the most part - you've got occasional stinkers like Mario Tennis Ultra, Star Fox Zero, and Wii Music). Plus there's tons of them. There's also some great 2nd party stuff like Xenoblade, and I still buy the occasional third party game for Switch (more on the indie side but still), namely for the portability.

Anyway it's not the brand I'm loyal too, it's the quality games. And at least for my money, the games that appeal most to me just happen to come from Nintendo more often than not, with some stuff on the Xbox front too.

Sony tends to lean on the style of gaming that just doesn't appeal to me as much, which is more linear, cinematic games with an abundance of fluff like dialogue and cut scenes. I prefer to get into the action as quickly and as much as possible in addition to maximum freedom.

Monolith Soft is Nintendo 1st party

Around the Network
FromDK said:
You should change the headline to:

"according to the 1000 people some asked"

And 1000 people dont show any "worldwide trend" Just saying :)

A 1000 people in any context is considered to be statistically significant, I'm sure that's why they went with that number, albeit it is the minimum requirement for any kind of validity.

SpokenTruth said:
Um, this survey is an abject failure between what it measured and what they are stating.

"1 in 3 people with a gaming system planned to buy the new PlayStation, compared to 1 in 4 who planned to buy the new Xbox. However, 8% wanted to buy both when they come out."

"40.7% of the people survey chose the PlayStation brand, which was followed by Xbox at 31.0% and Nintendo at 30.4%. Gaming PC and gaming laptop were separate entities with 14.7% and 8.6%, respectively."

That doesn't mean "brand loyalty". That measures "brand interest". Brand loyalty is retaining the same brand on subsequent purchases. This isn't measuring that. It makes no distinction what brand console you currently or previously gamed on when stating which console brand you intend to purchase next.

That doesn't mean the survey is useless or doesn't hold value (nor is a knock at the people surveyed or their consoles of choice). It's just very irresponsible of the surveyor to label the results as something that they aren't.

Yeah, it doesn't really say if the people surveyed were current owners of a given platform, which is kind of relevant if loyalty is the thing we are trying to establish. It's not loyalty if you're thinking about buying, say, the PS5 as your first Sony console.

Leynos said:
Wrong. SEGA fans are. They still have dedicated forums to hardware. Still make games for Genesis and Dreamcast. Still run servers for Dreamcast online games. Neo Geo fans are right behind. Then Nintendo fans as they stuck around during the Wii U. Loyalty is truly tested in hardship. Sony doesn't have loyalty. They have a cult of personality.

Not sure if sarcastic. What personality are you talking about?

mutantsushi said:
FromDK said:

SpokenTruth said:
Um, this survey is an abject failure between what it measured and what they are stating.
That doesn't mean "brand loyalty". That measures "brand interest". Brand loyalty is retaining the same brand on subsequent purchases. This isn't measuring that. It makes no distinction what brand console you currently or previously gamed on when stating which console brand you intend to purchase next.
That doesn't mean the survey is useless or doesn't hold value (nor is a knock at the people surveyed or their consoles of choice). It's just very irresponsible of the surveyor to label the results as something that they aren't.

Exactly (x2). The line from article that shows the lie most directly is this:
"Sony’s PlayStation and its four (soon to be five) iterations claimed the most dedicated customers"
If we're being seriously, we know that isn't true of all four iterations, is it?
PS2 to PS3 had ~45% sales drop, from total market domination to barely eking out nominal win w/ less software due to slow start.
So the idea Playstation fans are brand loyal across iterations is absolutely ridiculous.
Clearly they respond to market alternatives, and they respond to strengths and weaknesses of Sony's current offering.
So all the polling numbers (of limited sample) show is those people have good interest in Sony's PS5 product at this point.
Of course not all details of it are known, so maybe we can say they are happy with PS4 and what they know of PS5 they like.
OK, great. We can even say that even in with troubles of PS3, Sony was able to outsell MS who had 1 year head start,
Although "loyalty" is less likely than simple desirability of Sony's exclusive offerings (and regional popularity winning fence-sitters).
Trying to oversell it into ahistorical "brand loyalty" is absurd, almost half of PS2 audience ditched Sony for PS3 era, that's a fact.

Any console is going to have a mix of loyalists and ship jumpers. Sales may drop when going from one gen to the next, but you cannot build a success story like the Playstation without a huge loyalist following. It's the big picture, the arc from PS1 to PS5.

Around the Network

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRRR!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Dante9 said:
mutantsushi said:

Exactly (x2). The line from article that shows the lie most directly is this:
"Sony’s PlayStation and its four (soon to be five) iterations claimed the most dedicated customers"
If we're being seriously, we know that isn't true of all four iterations, is it?
PS2 to PS3 had ~45% sales drop, from total market domination to barely eking out nominal win w/ less software due to slow start.
So the idea Playstation fans are brand loyal across iterations is absolutely ridiculous.
Clearly they respond to market alternatives, and they respond to strengths and weaknesses of Sony's current offering.
So all the polling numbers (of limited sample) show is those people have good interest in Sony's PS5 product at this point.
Of course not all details of it are known, so maybe we can say they are happy with PS4 and what they know of PS5 they like.
OK, great. We can even say that even in with troubles of PS3, Sony was able to outsell MS who had 1 year head start,
Although "loyalty" is less likely than simple desirability of Sony's exclusive offerings (and regional popularity winning fence-sitters).
Trying to oversell it into ahistorical "brand loyalty" is absurd, almost half of PS2 audience ditched Sony for PS3 era, that's a fact.

Any console is going to have a mix of loyalists and ship jumpers. Sales may drop when going from one gen to the next, but you cannot build a success story like the Playstation without a huge loyalist following. It's the big picture, the arc from PS1 to PS5.

Home console, sure. Portable, not sure 

sethnintendo said:
Jpcc86 said:
Of course, Sony consoles are reliable, have a giant library with a lot of quality games distributed in a wide variety of genres that easily appeal to all ages. Its the whole package, its hard to leave behind a product that good. Either way, in every gen since the ps1 I've always had a Playstation and another console (usually from Nintendo) since Ive always felt - In my personal experience - console wars are moronic, you miss on a lot when you marry yourself to a brand/platform.

First gen PS1 had overheating issues. PS2 disc drives broke all the time. PS3 had some YLOD issues.  By PS3 reliability became better but you can't skip over fact PS2 broke all the damn time.  I know plenty people bought multiple PS2.  Why do you think sales are so high for it?

My first PS1 developed a problem with the laser, so I had to buy another one. After that, no problems with the next iterations. I don't remember any widespread issues being reported here in Europe at the time of those consoles. Maybe we got a different batch over here or something?

Dante9 said:
FromDK said:

A 1000 people in any context is considered to be statistically significant, I'm sure that's why they went with that number, albeit it is the minimum requirement for any kind of validity.

No, the context is still important.

If they ask 1000 people about home console loyality and only 50% of them are home console gamers, they only have 500 valid answers.

If they ask 1000 people about handheld console loyality and only 25% of them are handheld console gamers, they only have 250 valid answers.

If they ask 1000 people about VR headset loyality and only 10% of them have a VR headset, they only have 100 valid answers.

If two third of the surveyed people live in the US and only one third lives in the rest of the world, there will be a strong local bias in the answers.

If two third of the surveyed people live in Europe and only one third lives in the rest of the world, there will also be a strong local bias in the answers.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You know that based on what? Top selling of 1st party games on ps4 aren't more than 16 million so far. Not to mention all of them get sale just after a few month, and after a full year, maybe you can get it for free.

According to NPD, from 2013 to 2016 only one time PlayStation 4 exclusive managed to chart in the top 20 best selling games of the year! Uncharted at no.12 in 2016(Physical+Digital sales). 
By the end of 2016, PS4 has sold more than 54M units of hardware.

Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch exclusive managed to chart 14 times from 2017-2019 in the top 20 best selling games of the year without digital sales! By the end of 2019, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 52M units of hardware.

Mario Kart 8 - 3 times(10,12,10)
Zelda BOTW - 2 times(5,18)
Super Mario Odyssey - 2 times(9,15)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 2 times(5,7)
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - 1 time(20)
Pokemon Sword - 1 time(16)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1 time(18)
NSMBUD - 1 time(20)
Super Mario Party - 1 time(19)

My prediction for 1st party only sony console is around PS Vita numbers or worse. 

This just shows that unlike Nintendo, Sony exclusives have to contend with all the major blockbuster 3rd party offerings on the same platform, and they still manage to pull of impressive sales. Spoiled for choice is not exactly a problem in my book.