By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation fans are the most brand loyal fan according to research, follow with Xbox fan, Nintendo and PC

I won't lie. The Super Nintendo was my first console but it was the Playstation that made me a gamer. The PS2 kept the name SONY closely associated with the key games of my childhood. I've always bought multiple consoles but it was always Sony first. The beginning of the PS3 was a trying time but Sony really came through from 2009 onwards. That's 10 Years of just straight up quality dominance.

I'm not at all surprised by that. Nintendo and Microsoft kept trying to chase the casual gamer and they can't be counted on the same way die-hard loyal consumers. Sony doubled down and Nintendo has as well with the Switch.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Isn’t there a difference between brand loyal to a company and one to a game? People will love Mario today when they played it as a child in the 80s. Or myself loving Halo but I don’t believe Xbox is lumped in with it. Like I could play it in PC if I wanted. 

Imo Nintendo wins in terms of IP loyalty but Sony wins in company loyalty

I would agree there is a difference.

But when people are loyal to like 4 or 5 different IPs from said company that for me would be loyalty to the brand even more that when people buy playstation isn`t really loyalty to Sony since it sell more 3rd party games than 1st party (it is slowly changing, but it is still much more for 3rd party content).

HoangNhatAnh said:

Talking about a brand, you have to mention every product of that company, suddenly vita don't count? Is there any Sony system could sell even 10 million with just 1st party games and indies/late ports like Wii U?

More games and? Is there any vita games that sold more than 2 million? And if there is, how many of them?

I guess you missed his point on the loyalty.

The fact that WiiU with very few games managed to sell 15M and those games all had humungous  sales ratio show that Nintendo have like 15M diehard fans at least (and we know that there are many Nintendo loyals that didn`t bought WiiU). Plus the drop from PSP to PSVita is quite smaller than Wii to WiiU.

Agree, psp have only 3 games that sold over 5 million, and all of them are GTA, no more no less. Vita doesn't have any game that pass 2 million so definitely a smaller drop. And now, answer me again: If there is a Sony system with just 1st party games and indies/late ports like Wii U, how much could it sell?

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

I would agree there is a difference.

But when people are loyal to like 4 or 5 different IPs from said company that for me would be loyalty to the brand even more that when people buy playstation isn`t really loyalty to Sony since it sell more 3rd party games than 1st party (it is slowly changing, but it is still much more for 3rd party content).

I guess you missed his point on the loyalty.

The fact that WiiU with very few games managed to sell 15M and those games all had humungous  sales ratio show that Nintendo have like 15M diehard fans at least (and we know that there are many Nintendo loyals that didn`t bought WiiU). Plus the drop from PSP to PSVita is quite smaller than Wii to WiiU.

Agree, psp have only 3 games that sold over 5 million, and all of them are GTA, no more no less. Vita doesn't have any game that pass 2 million so definitely a smaller drop. And now, answer me again: If there is a Sony system with just 1st party games and indies/late ports like Wii U, how much could it sell?

Probably around 40M or so. Your point?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You know that based on what? Top selling of 1st party games on ps4 aren't more than 16 million so far. Not to mention all of them get sale just after a few month, and after a full year, maybe you can get it for free.

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 07 February 2020

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

You know that based on what? Top selling of 1st party games on ps4 aren't more than 16 million so far. Not to mention all of them get sale just after a few month, and after a full year, maybe you can get it for free.

If you know better then give the evidence and reasoning.

PS have had the 1st party increasing in sales every gen, they would also up their 1st party output when forced like they done on PS3 and buy current 3rd parties.

Still now sure your point, I see nowhere Sony fucking up their relationship with 3rd parties and taking like 4 gens to solve the issues.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

According to NPD, from 2013 to 2016 only one time PlayStation 4 exclusive managed to chart in the top 20 best selling games of the year! Uncharted at no.12 in 2016(Physical+Digital sales). 
By the end of 2016, PS4 has sold more than 54M units of hardware.

Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch exclusive managed to chart 14 times from 2017-2019 in the top 20 best selling games of the year without digital sales! By the end of 2019, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 52M units of hardware.

Mario Kart 8 - 3 times(10,12,10)
Zelda BOTW - 2 times(5,18)
Super Mario Odyssey - 2 times(9,15)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 2 times(5,7)
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - 1 time(20)
Pokemon Sword - 1 time(16)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1 time(18)
NSMBUD - 1 time(20)
Super Mario Party - 1 time(19)

My prediction for 1st party only sony console is around PS Vita numbers or worse. 

I will never understand this brand loyalty thing, maybe I'm more intelligent than most people but I buy whatever is the best devices, do not care who makes it, when and where.

Just like phones, I keep switching from android to ios constantly, I'm using ios at the moment, but if there would be an android with the same smoothness, a face scan as fast and reliable as iphone I'd go back, in fact I was enjoying my galaxy s10e if it was not for the poor wi-fi and lack of a proper face id or finger print. I also love sony's but don't like they didn't keep up with competition, loved them when they had the best audio and water proof.

In fact I dislike Apple as a company, but no one else is matching the quality of features I want, I couldn't care less about customization, just want something that works well.

Consoles is the same thing, I started this gen with PS4 due to better specs, better OS, better installation of games, etc Bought an xbox X at launch due to better quality, specs, quiet console, controller, backwards compatibility, but then bought a pro because xbox doesn't have VR neither the great ps exclusives. And of course could not be without my Nintendos, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario odyssey and breath of the wild are some of the top games I've played all generation (top 10)

Just like next generation, I will go with the company that gives me the best console with the best games, and VR of course, this is a warning to Microsoft, no VR no buy, sorry.

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

If you know better then give the evidence and reasoning.

PS have had the 1st party increasing in sales every gen, they would also up their 1st party output when forced like they done on PS3 and buy current 3rd parties.

Still now sure your point, I see nowhere Sony fucking up their relationship with 3rd parties and taking like 4 gens to solve the issues.

"increasing in sales every gen" only Uncharted 4 has passed 16 mil with many sales, price cut, even give away on a user base of 108 mil after a long time since 2015 so not sure about that
"up their 1st party output when forced like they done on PS3" PS3 still have some big 3rd party gmes to back up in the early years no matter what. But what i asked you is: Game is becoming more expensive, taking more time to make, if Sony console without 3rd party games is in the same situation like Wii U, could Sony release 1st party games each month for it and make the system sell 40 mil like you claimed?

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 08 February 2020

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

According to NPD, from 2013 to 2016 only one time PlayStation 4 exclusive managed to chart in the top 20 best selling games of the year! Uncharted at no.12 in 2016(Physical+Digital sales). 
By the end of 2016, PS4 has sold more than 54M units of hardware.

Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch exclusive managed to chart 14 times from 2017-2019 in the top 20 best selling games of the year without digital sales! By the end of 2019, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 52M units of hardware.

Mario Kart 8 - 3 times(10,12,10)
Zelda BOTW - 2 times(5,18)
Super Mario Odyssey - 2 times(9,15)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 2 times(5,7)
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - 1 time(20)
Pokemon Sword - 1 time(16)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1 time(18)
NSMBUD - 1 time(20)
Super Mario Party - 1 time(19)

My prediction for 1st party only sony console is around PS Vita numbers or worse. 

Not to mention, at that time, PS4 already had some big 3rd party games, but with 1st party games only, Sony system would sell much worse than vita since it is more expensive. Vita still have a ton of 3rd party games on it

Cobretti2 said:
Nah that survey is wrong.

Nintendo fans are loyal. They the only crazy enough ones to buy a console for 1st party games only lol. Also look at second hand games market. Even the Wii with some 20million plus sale games, hardly saw them on second hand market. With the other two so many second hand copies of games that come out only a month prior.

Imagine if Sony lost all their 3rd party support to XBOX. How much of that crowd would swing towards XBOX?

It's easy to do when the first party software is so consistently solid :P (for the most part - you've got occasional stinkers like Mario Tennis Ultra, Star Fox Zero, and Wii Music). Plus there's tons of them. There's also some great 2nd party stuff like Xenoblade, and I still buy the occasional third party game for Switch (more on the indie side but still), namely for the portability.

Anyway it's not the brand I'm loyal too, it's the quality games. And at least for my money, the games that appeal most to me just happen to come from Nintendo more often than not, with some stuff on the Xbox front too.

Sony tends to lean on the style of gaming that just doesn't appeal to me as much, which is more linear, cinematic games with an abundance of fluff like dialogue and cut scenes. I prefer to get into the action as quickly and as much as possible in addition to maximum freedom.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden