By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

JRPGfan said:
EricHiggin said:

Think of trying to end covid-19 like trying to end racism. The media will tell you exactly how that's going to work out. I've also noticed, that other locals around here, are finally starting to notice the media no longer talks about deaths at all, only cases, and they understand why. The news here in ON has been doing a pretty terrible job of keeping the people scared for quite some time. Heck it was a joke to begin with, with how blatantly the reporters weren't even following any of the rules or guidelines and making up ridiculous excuses. Though many didn't seem to pick up on that somehow.

There's a reason why there are flu shots and not 'cold' shots. Trying to properly and completely immunize everyone from coronavirus would be a nightmarish task and isn't even close to worth it for many reasons, and that unfortunately includes the covid-19 strains. The flu was doable though.

It's never going away, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. People either learn to live with it and the consequences, or humanity lives in lockdown mode for decades. It should be clear to most that people can't and/or won't live like that for long. Not in a free society anyway.

That's likely not what you want to hear, but the sooner people realize this, the sooner they can better plan to protect themselves if more necessary, as well as the system as a whole, within reason of course. The problem with reason now, is things were pushed much to far, so now there's considerable push back by the people. Cause and effect. The people themselves aren't near as much to blame as the professionals and leaders who got us here.

USA: had 1287 deaths due to covid yesterday (~180,000 new cases).   Both cases and deaths are on a upward trend.
Highest case count (active) was 9million, back in jan 2021. Now its close to 7.8m (active) cases of corona.

Canada: had 6 deaths due to covid yesterday (~3000 new daily cases).
Canada currently has 23,000 active cases of corona virus. The issue is the USA has like 400 times as much cases of sick, as canada does atm.

Theres degree's of "learn to live with it".

Canada's outlook is much easier to live with, than the one in the US.
1300 pr day, for a year is still like half a million extra deaths pr year.

Canada has done a much better job with vaccinations than the US.
To be fair, something like 90-95% of the sick in hospitals are unvaccinated (or not fully vaccinated).
Maybe with time, this "problem" (US side) solves itself, as it mostly just kills fools that didnt want to get vaccinated.
Eventually it passes though everyone who hasnt gotten infected yet, or vaccinated.

We're behind the USA and just starting our 4th wave, deaths lag a couple weeks behind.

At the peak of the 3rd wave Canada was at 9100 cases per day and our hospitals were strained to the max, we came very close to having to reject people (emergency triage protocol). Some parts of the country are already getting close to that point again. Less people die now thanks to vaccinations, yet hospitalizations are still needed, although less. Which means other diseases like cancer get less attention and kill more people.

So if we're going to live with Covid-19 with few restrictions, we need more hospital beds and staff. Hospitals in Ontario are still recovering from the 3rd wave and now the next influx is starting. We're getting less updates now because the election has been called, which means the government has switched into caretaker mode until after the election. Plus covid-19 numbers are not good election material, focus of the campaigns is economic recovery. The conservative party is slamming all the measures, enough is enough, time to get back on track (10 year recovery plan).

The problem is, Covid-19 is still far more contagious than the flu, even with 66% fully vaccinated. (going up pretty slow now) and still needs a lot more hospital care than the flu.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccines-not-enough-to-stop-fourth-wave-of-covid-19-in-canada-experts-warn-1.5560876

“Unfortunately, when we compare Canada to other comparable countries, our ICU capacity per capita is not very robust,” said Bogoch.

This is what resulted in lockdowns during the third wave, he added, referencing the "dire" situation earlier this year in which ICUs in some provinces hit capacity, patients were sent to other cities, adult patients were in pediatric ICU beds, and surgeries were cancelled.

“We can't let this wave get out of control because the more cases there are, the more hospitalizations, the more ICU [admissions] and tragically, the more deaths we will see this fall,” Craig Jenne, Canada Research Chair in infectious diseases at the University of Calgary told CTVNews.ca in a phone interview on Tuesday.

What's worrying is that we're in a worse state now than last year

“If you look back to last year’s cases, they really didn't start rising sharply until we got into September with people back indoors at school,” he said. “This year, the cases really have started to go up in a number of places – Alberta, Ontario and British Columbia in early August, basically the wave has a month head start.”

And this year, the plan is everyone back to school and more businesses open, less restrictions, plus a variant that's far more contagious. And at home we're at the junction of, we kept the kids home last year based on the situation then. This year, they really need that school interaction again, yet the current outlook is worse than last year and the measures at school haven't improved at all.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Farsala said:

And again I have to emphasize, that I am required to pay a ton of money for this level of healthcare. I also think it is funny that we are comparing Tokyo to Alabama. Japan should never sink that low.

How much do people in Japan have to pay for their healthcare and how much percent of the medical costs is covered by that?

Here in Germany it is income based. You get 100% coverage (exceptions are very rare) and pay ~8% of their gross income, your employer pays another ~8% of your gross income. Your unemployed spouse and children are also 100% covered... if some of them work, they also pay ~8% of their gross income and their employer pays another ~8% of their gross income.

So if a single person or a family has a gross income of €30,000 (~3.9M yen) in total per year, you have to pay around €2,400 (~310,000 yen) per year for 50% coverage, your employers pay for the other 50% coverage.

If a single person or a family has a gross income of €40,000 (~5.1M yen) in total per year, you have to pay around €3,200 (~415,000 yen) per year for 50% coverage, your employers pay for the other 50% coverage.

If a single person or a family has a gross income of €50,000 (~6.5M yen) in total per year, you have to pay around €4,000 (~518,000 yen) per year for 50% coverage, your employers pay for the other 50% coverage.

If a single person has a gross income of €58,000 (~7.5M yen) or above that per year, you have to pay around €4,500 (~583,000 yen) per year for 50% coverage, your employer pay for the other 50% coverage. It's the upper limit for a single person... also for families, if the family members aren't earning their own income.

Single persons who are privately insured have to pay around €2000 - €5000 for 50% coverage (mostly depending on the age), your employers pay for the other 50% coverage. If you are your own boss, it is double of that for 100% coverage. Additional coverage for family members costs extra.

So if you are single person with a well paid job, private insurance is usually cheaper. If you have family and a minimum wage job, the statuary health insurance is the better deal.

At my income bracket I have to pay ~5% of gross per year. That will only cover 70% of costs.

So if a procedure done is 100,000 yen, then 30,000 yen is still out of pocket. For example, going to the dentist and getting an x ray is 5000 yen. Giving birth can be between 400,000 and 700,000 yen. Etc.

What a journey! I went from believing at risk walking comorbidities and old people should take the jjab to joining and becoming an ardent member of team conspiracy and team never-vaxx. And I'm not saying that the vaccine doesn't offer some protection against infection and currently greatly reduces disease severity, transmission(symptomatic for 3 days instead of like 9?)etc... at the moment, it clearly does.

I'm just of the mind that people shouldn't blindly trust the system that has misled and lied to them about pretty much everything. And that there are things that everyone can do to minimize their risks via both NPI's and PI's.(Sure, I know you may say this is selfish, evil, irresponsible stupid, crazy, assholish  thinking)

If I said this was within my line of thinking I wouldn't be lying, lol.

"The vaxx is a DNA modifying bio-weapon that may cause a terrible zombie-like chronic disease years-decades later"

And I think I found myself a new hero!

[Some of you may wonder if this post is a joke or satire. Well, it's the internet, so you'll never know and I'm not actually sure myself.]

useruserB said:

What a journey! I went from believing at risk walking comorbidities and old people should take the jjab to joining and becoming an ardent member of team conspiracy and team never-vaxx. And I'm not saying that the vaccine doesn't offer some protection against infection and currently greatly reduces disease severity, transmission(symptomatic for 3 days instead of like 9?)etc... at the moment, it clearly does.

I'm just of the mind that people shouldn't blindly trust the system that has misled and lied to them about pretty much everything. And that there are things that everyone can do to minimize their risks via both NPI's and PI's.(Sure, I know you may say this is selfish, evil, irresponsible stupid, crazy, assholish  thinking)

"The vaxx is a DNA modifying bio-weapon that may cause a terrible zombie-like chronic disease years-decades later"

[Some of you may wonder if this post is a joke or satire. Well, it's the internet, so you'll never know and I'm not actually sure myself.]

Getting hospitalised, for a few weeks, and probably have lasting damage from a bad case of corona... is much worse than the vaccine lol.

I rather have 1-2 days of a running nose, as the only "symptom" of haveing corona, due to a vaccine shot.
Than spend a week or two hospitalised, and have corona tear through your body, and possibly give you permanent damage (to minor degrees) multiple places in your body. Theres people with lunge/brain/kidney damage, after corona. Supposedly its more common than you think, to get lasting damage from virus's, its just if the degree to which it happends isnt severe, most dont even notice it (even if they might never get to feel 100% again) (yeah I dont run as good, lunges arnt what they used to be pre-corona ect ect stuff like that).

My wife got some inside information from someone on the school board. Looks like the schools are preparing to close in October (they're not even started yet, September 6th supposed to start). So maybe 3 or 4 weeks of school before the next lock down...

But eh, we just got added to UK's green list lol
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-among-latest-countries-added-to-united-kingdom-s-green-travel-list-1.5562497

Don't come here unless you want some Covid
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-and-young-son-crammed-like-sardines-for-hours-at-airport-now-infected-with-covid-19-1.5562634
A fully vaccinated Ontario woman says she and her son were "crammed like sardines" inside the Toronto airport after returning from a trip and have now become infected with COVID-19.

Please note that the international arrivals process could take 3 hours or longer, depending on your specific set of circumstances. We’re working with airlines and government agencies to ensure your health and safety. Make your process smoother

It's just a comedy routine at this point.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

USA: had 1287 deaths due to covid yesterday (~180,000 new cases).   Both cases and deaths are on a upward trend.
Highest case count (active) was 9million, back in jan 2021. Now its close to 7.8m (active) cases of corona.

Canada: had 6 deaths due to covid yesterday (~3000 new daily cases).
Canada currently has 23,000 active cases of corona virus. The issue is the USA has like 400 times as much cases of sick, as canada does atm.

Theres degree's of "learn to live with it".

Canada's outlook is much easier to live with, than the one in the US.
1300 pr day, for a year is still like half a million extra deaths pr year.

Canada has done a much better job with vaccinations than the US.
To be fair, something like 90-95% of the sick in hospitals are unvaccinated (or not fully vaccinated).
Maybe with time, this "problem" (US side) solves itself, as it mostly just kills fools that didnt want to get vaccinated.
Eventually it passes though everyone who hasnt gotten infected yet, or vaccinated.

We're behind the USA and just starting our 4th wave, deaths lag a couple weeks behind.

At the peak of the 3rd wave Canada was at 9100 cases per day and our hospitals were strained to the max, we came very close to having to reject people (emergency triage protocol). Some parts of the country are already getting close to that point again. Less people die now thanks to vaccinations, yet hospitalizations are still needed, although less. Which means other diseases like cancer get less attention and kill more people.

So if we're going to live with Covid-19 with few restrictions, we need more hospital beds and staff. Hospitals in Ontario are still recovering from the 3rd wave and now the next influx is starting. We're getting less updates now because the election has been called, which means the government has switched into caretaker mode until after the election. Plus covid-19 numbers are not good election material, focus of the campaigns is economic recovery. The conservative party is slamming all the measures, enough is enough, time to get back on track (10 year recovery plan).

The problem is, Covid-19 is still far more contagious than the flu, even with 66% fully vaccinated. (going up pretty slow now) and still needs a lot more hospital care than the flu.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccines-not-enough-to-stop-fourth-wave-of-covid-19-in-canada-experts-warn-1.5560876

“Unfortunately, when we compare Canada to other comparable countries, our ICU capacity per capita is not very robust,” said Bogoch.

This is what resulted in lockdowns during the third wave, he added, referencing the "dire" situation earlier this year in which ICUs in some provinces hit capacity, patients were sent to other cities, adult patients were in pediatric ICU beds, and surgeries were cancelled.

“We can't let this wave get out of control because the more cases there are, the more hospitalizations, the more ICU [admissions] and tragically, the more deaths we will see this fall,” Craig Jenne, Canada Research Chair in infectious diseases at the University of Calgary told CTVNews.ca in a phone interview on Tuesday.

“If you look back to last year’s cases, they really didn't start rising sharply until we got into September with people back indoors at school,” he said. “This year, the cases really have started to go up in a number of places – Alberta, Ontario and British Columbia in early August, basically the wave has a month head start.”

And this year, the plan is everyone back to school and more businesses open, less restrictions, plus a variant that's far more contagious. And at home we're at the junction of, we kept the kids home last year based on the situation then. This year, they really need that school interaction again, yet the current outlook is worse than last year and the measures at school haven't improved at all.

USA also has way more people, and much more freedom right now, at least in some places.

What good are the vaccinations when vaxed are still getting it and potentially spreading it? What's the point in ending the pandemic with vaccines if they don't help enough to stop the spread? Sagaar of Breaking Points recently contracted it and is rightfully questioning the numbers considering he's been double vaxed as well, like so many others. How many more mutations will there be and how long until the vax no longer gives any immunity to a new strain? What then?

Two of my friends have been double vaxed and yet one got covid last week and was quite sick so they tell me. The majority of my friends haven't gotten vaxed and none of them have been sick for over a year now and nobody really followed the guidelines much. The one guy who got covid earlier this year at my bros work got double vaxed after, and had covid again about a month ago. Yet even though he was clearly sick for a couple days at work the first time, none of the other 25 workers at the shop got sick, and they don't exactly adhere strongly to social distancing and masking. Same as the more recent covid case. He started showing symptoms while at work for hours before he went home yet nobody else got sick.

Getting every last person vaxed isn't going to solve this since the vax clearly doesn't stop enough people from contracting it. It's even worse because some of the vaxed feel more safe even though they're not, making the spread even more likely. Having everyone wear masks all the time isn't enough either. Not to mention the news has made sure to let people know that animals, pets especially, can contract and spread covid. Are we going to vax and mask all the wildlife?

We either lockdown on an unthinkable level for a long time with people wearing hazmat suits when they have to go out, or we learn to live with it until perhaps there is a better vaccine or treatment. Even then, it may not be enough.

EricHiggin said:
SvennoJ said:

USA also has way more people, and much more freedom right now, at least in some places.

What good are the vaccinations when vaxed are still getting it and potentially spreading it? What's the point in ending the pandemic with vaccines if they don't help enough to stop the spread? Sagaar of Breaking Points recently contracted it and is rightfully questioning the numbers considering he's been double vaxed as well, like so many others. How many more mutations will there be and how long until the vax no longer gives any immunity to a new strain? What then?

Two of my friends have been double vaxed and yet one got covid last week and was quite sick so they tell me. The majority of my friends haven't gotten vaxed and none of them have been sick for over a year now and nobody really followed the guidelines much. The one guy who got covid earlier this year at my bros work got double vaxed after, and had covid again about a month ago. Yet even though he was clearly sick for a couple days at work the first time, none of the other 25 workers at the shop got sick, and they don't exactly adhere strongly to social distancing and masking. Same as the more recent covid case. He started showing symptoms while at work for hours before he went home yet nobody else got sick.

Getting every last person vaxed isn't going to solve this since the vax clearly doesn't stop enough people from contracting it. It's even worse because some of the vaxed feel more safe even though they're not, making the spread even more likely. Having everyone wear masks all the time isn't enough either. Not to mention the news has made sure to let people know that animals, pets especially, can contract and spread covid. Are we going to vax and mask all the wildlife?

We either lockdown on an unthinkable level for a long time with people wearing hazmat suits when they have to go out, or we learn to live with it until perhaps there is a better vaccine or treatment. Even then, it may not be enough.

@bold People getting vaxed and stopping wearing their masks is definitely a problem. They are still transmitting the virus to unvaxed people and killing them. You can see the ratio with the Ontario numbers, with so many unvaxed people in serious condition compared to the vaxed.

A big problem here in Japan is it is Summer and the weather is either full on rain or extreme heat, so people naturally move inside and party. Only half of the population is vaxed, so a lot of unvaxed people are in serious condition in the hospitals, even young people.

The government has had mixed messages the entire time so people stopped caring so much. So despite the high mask usage, cases have skyrocketed with indoor Olympic viewing parties, since public spectators were banned. As well as Obon holiday with people visiting families and going to holiday prefectures.

Luckily the Vax hesitancy in this country is low and mask usage high, even during non pandemic times. Eventually things will flatten out.

JRPGfan said:
useruserB said:

Getting hospitalised, for a few weeks, and probably have lasting damage from a bad case of corona... is much worse than the vaccine lol.

I rather have 1-2 days of a running nose, as the only "symptom" of haveing corona, due to a vaccine shot.
Than spend a week or two hospitalised, and have corona tear through your body, and possibly give you permanent damage (to minor degrees) multiple places in your body. Theres people with lunge/brain/kidney damage, after corona. Supposedly its more common than you think, to get lasting damage from virus's, its just if the degree to which it happends isnt severe, most dont even notice it (even if they might never get to feel 100% again) (yeah I dont run as good, lunges arnt what they used to be pre-corona ect ect stuff like that).

At the time my mum got covid she wasn't too bad but now over 7 months later she is still suffering from the effects of it. She now has to use 2 inhalers and can barely do anything without feeling severe fatigue. A friend of mine who is only 26 hasn't regained his sense of smell and suffers from fatigue after over 10 months. All these anti vaxxers care about is death from covid they don't care about the potential long lasting effects it can have on people.

pikashoe said:
JRPGfan said:

At the time my mum got covid she wasn't too bad but now over 7 months later she is still suffering from the effects of it. She now has to use 2 inhalers and can barely do anything without feeling severe fatigue. A friend of mine who is only 26 hasn't regained his sense of smell and suffers from fatigue after over 10 months. All these anti vaxxers care about is death from covid they don't care about the potential long lasting effects it can have on people.

Yep people take things like smell for granted.
Supposedly more than "half" of your sense of taste, is actually from smell as well.
Things will taste dull, or "wrong", after loseing it partially or fully.

My dad was on pills for his cancer, and it changed his taste, and smell.
He would litterly be sick, if something had been smoked (meats), and said everything tasted burnt or flat to him (even if it was normal tasteing for rest of us). Mom tried to cook/eat around what he still could manage to eat but... his appetite was smaller too after all this (terminal ill from cancer does things to a person). Was tough seeing him lose weight so quick, by the end he was just skin and bones.

So in short, appreciate your sense of smell and taste.

And yes, people only look at deaths with covid.
They dont mention the survivors that have had brain damage, lunge damage, nerve damage (smell ect), kidney damage, or the increased % of diabetes in patients that had corona (ei. healthy people before covid, after develope diabetes). These can be life changeing effects for some (cant go running anymore, ect).

People that think the vaccine is worse....
I dont know what reality they live in.

EricHiggin said:

The way to get rid of it is if everyone locks down for real, at the same time, for 2 weeks. Covid gone. However that kind of coordination on a global scale proves to be impossible for the human race. New Zealand is the only place that managed to pull it off by actually being strict at the border. However I see they have fallen as well now, people simply don't listen. (There's still a chance they make it, not holding my breath, Australia is still going up) So China is the last place where people are made to listen :/ They have outbreaks, they lock everyone up in the area, outbreaks die quickly.

It's a shame people cannot cooperate on a simple task like getting rid of a clear and present danger. Means global warming has no chance of ever being taken seriously.

So indeed, we have to live with it somehow. Which means we need more hospital beds, more doctors, more sick leaf, more sick pay, more disability funds for long covid, and still local measures not to let things spiral out of control. It doesn't matter whether we try to get rid of it through vaccines and social distancing or try to live with it, going back to pre pandemic life is simply not an option anymore.

Maybe it will get better over the years as endemic immunity gets stronger and kids get vaccinated for covid the same as for other infectious diseases early on. Covid should lose its fangs over time and perhaps become another strong flu that only kills the elderly :/ Better treatment will come over time as well, but we'll need to invest in hospitals to get there. First we need to stop doing idiotic things like keeping people crammed in the airport for hours for 'safety'. Go play FS2020 if you want to fly somewhere :)