By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
ironmanDX said:

Well, I guess being in lockdown is the perfect opportunity for you to sit tight for another 2 weeks or so.

You're in Vic yeah? Proably expect the lockdown to get exgended by anotherr 5- days and we'll be out again I hope.

Yeah I live in Melbourne. Today's case numbers are promising; only 11 cases in the state and all people who were already isolating. We should be on track to open up soon barring any leaks.

JRPGfan said:

Been around 48hours for me.... so we basically got your 2nd dosses around the same time.

First jab, I was really sore in the arm. I barely felt the needle go in (good job, old nurse lady (she was even cross eyed) lol).
2nd jab, it hurt abit more (young beauty of a nurse, wasn't great with the needle), but overall I wasnt as sore from it.

I remember the first jab, I was abit tired the day after too.
Not much, but like, a tiny bit more than normal late into the day.
(which frekking sucks, when your arm is sore, and your used to sleeping on your sides, toss and turning, only to remember arm hurts = bad for sleep)
(a day or two with bad sleep is whatever though)

2nd shot, was def. the better experiance (for me atleast).
which is odd, because I kept hearing stories about how it was normally the other way around.

"fine with feeling sick as a dog in exchange for the protection vaccination offers.
No longer having to worry about getting seriously sick or dying is a dream come true after 18 months of anxiety and OCD trashing my mental health."

^ so much this.

You feel safer outsides too.
Ei. not as worried about catching covid anymore, and without a doubt, thats good for mental health.

Just ticked over 48 hours for me too; my sore arm and tiredness are now gone and I feel completely normal.

Both jabs gave me a sore arm for about 24 hours, but the first had no other effects on me at all whereas now that I feel normal again I can tell that I was generally a bit little worn out yesterday by comparison. Nothing too bad though, I was expecting more of a kick from it after so many friends an family told me that the second dose hits like a truck.

I guess everyone's body just reacts differently. A lot of people reckon the flu shot makes them feel crummy but it's never affected me, apart from the fact I have never had the flu haha.

And the sore arm thing, I dont even think is the vaccines fault.
Its just your muscle complaining about getting a needle jabbed into it.
Yeah, its basically gone within 24hours.

The little extra tiredness, is probably just your immune system learning to fight the virus.
Which again, comes on like a day later, and you barely notice it.

I remember as a Kid I used to be terrified of needles.
Overall getting vaccinated, now as a adult, wasnt nearly as bad as I expected.
(kid version of myself blew things waaay outta purprotion, its just a tiny jab lol)

"I guess everyone's body just reacts differently."

However we basically had the same experiance.
a day with slightly sore arm (day of jab) and then following day, a slight bit more tired, after that, everything back to normal.

I suspect the vast majority of people that get vaccinated have the same outcome.
The people that get like alergic reactions, or bad symptoms, are the very rare outcomes.

"I was expecting more of a kick from it after so many friends an family told me that the second dose hits like a truck."

^ this.

People on the internet, made me expect the 2nd jab, to be the one that actually did something.
(ei. hit like a truck) (I kept thinking maybe I just got lucky, with the first jab, the 2nd one will def. be worse)

I chuck it up to people posting crap on the internet lol.
(or maybe its because Im only in my 30s, and generally healthy? I dont know)

------------

Ka-Pi96 :  "Nope, not vaccinated. Japan sucks when it comes to providing the vaccine."

Yeah that sucks to hear.
You'll get natural immunity now instead :) (always look on the bright side)

Also if your feeling that bad, tell your boss, your not well enough to go to the hospital for a test.
I think its the "right" thing to do as well, like you said, why risk infecting others.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 25 July 2021

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
haxxiy said:

The % of positive results has sky rocketed though, of the tested.
This usually indicates that your not testing enough people (and supposedly testing is down).

So its hard to say, if its actually "hit a wall" (and stalled) yet.
(or just less testing, resulting in less finds)

Testing is flat-ish at about 1 million a day. The positivity rate was rising while cases were rising, with the last available data being the seven days up to the 19th, which already shows a significant slowdown in the rate of increase.

haxxiy said:
JRPGfan said:

The % of positive results has sky rocketed though, of the tested.
This usually indicates that your not testing enough people (and supposedly testing is down).

So its hard to say, if its actually "hit a wall" (and stalled) yet.
(or just less testing, resulting in less finds)

Testing is flat-ish at about 1 million a day. The positivity rate was rising while cases were rising, with the last available data being the seven days up to the 19th, which already shows a significant slowdown in the rate of increase.

Doesnt that picture show that from around July 1st, it was around 6% positivity rate, and by the end of it (data on chart) its around 13%-14% ?
That chart seems to show its on a upward trend no?

Anyways, I watched this:  "UK hospital admissions will rise"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8gsgTFPVc

That was what lead me to believe, things where getting worse in the UK, with infections.

It seems we have increased "covid-deaths" by about 40% in summer 2021 vs. summer 2020. Nearly all risk-groups are vaccinated and with the promised 95% efficiency so we should be close to zero covid-deaths by now but the opposite is happening.

I bet that Sweden with high natural immunity and low vaxx rate will be better of in the long run than most countries with lockdowns and vaxxing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited by numberwang - on 25 July 2021

numberwang said:

It seems we have increased "covid-deaths" by about 40% in summer 2021 vs. summer 2020. Nearly all risk-groups are vaccinated and with the promised 95% efficiency so we should be close to zero covid-deaths by now but the opposite is happening.

I bet that Sweden with high natural immunity and low vaxx rate will be better of in the long run than most countries with lockdowns and vaxxing.

Well most deaths are currently coming from countries with very low vax rates. Swedens vax rate isn't particularly low. 

Around the Network
numberwang said:

Sweden is at like 60% with 1jab, and 38% with 2jabs.

They have around "1,438 deaths pr million" due to covid.
Thats actually better than the USA's ~1900 deaths pr million.
(thats ontop of the USA, under reporting actual numbers abit)

Still I think plenty of countries have done better than sweden.

In Denmark we currently have 70,5% vaccinated with 1 shot, and 60,5% are fully vaccinated.
We only reached "437 deaths pr million".  (deaths are now few and far between)

Currently denmark has 59 people hospitalised for covid, 10 people in the ICU (6 of which are on ventilators).
Positivity rate, in testing is around 0.9%.

-------------- Also Numberwang, what country is that picture from?

I assumed it was the USA's?
But if I go and look at worldometers.info , under USA, the daily death chart looks very differnt.
You guys currently only have like 150 deaths pr day.

I remember seeing the USA have like 3000-5000 deaths pr day, at one point.
Obviously things are better now.

Also I remember hearing that something like 97% of all hospitalsations in the USA, for covid, are from unvaccinated people.
99,5% of deaths due to covid, are from unvaccinated.

The vaccine works.
The issue, is alot of people in the USA are anti vaxxers, that refuse to take the vaccine.

*edit:
USA only has 49% fully vaccinated currently.
Obviously the issue is the other 51%.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 25 July 2021

The graph is global "covid deaths". The risk groups (above 75 and morbid) are nearly completely vaxxed in every country around the world and yet "covid deaths" are increasing globally compared to last summer. You could cherry pick individual countries and time frames but the general trend is clear, more lockdowns and more vaxxes mean more covid deaths. Always compare summer to summer and winter to winter to get a more accurate comparison without seasonality effect.

The seasonal decline from winter to summer has been rebranded as vaccine success in the northern hemisphere but the southern hemisphere is doing worse than last winter and many countries in the north are experiencing summer waves now which did not happen in summer 2020 at all.

Last edited by numberwang - on 25 July 2021

numberwang said:

It seems we have increased "covid-deaths" by about 40% in summer 2021 vs. summer 2020. Nearly all risk-groups are vaccinated and with the promised 95% efficiency so we should be close to zero covid-deaths by now but the opposite is happeg.

Your lack of knowledge and childish conclusions are always a joy to watch.

I mean nothing you wrote makes any sense or is just flat out wrong for obvious reasons but it's good for a laugh at least.

Looking at "covid deaths" in Brazil. They had a massive explosion of "covid deaths" following the introducing of the vaxx in January 2020. March-July 2021 were much worse compared to the same time frame in 2020.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

numberwang said:

Looking at "covid deaths" in Brazil. They had a massive explosion of "covid deaths" following the introducing of the vaxx in January 2020. March-July 2021 were much worse compared to the same time frame in 2020.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

So its brazil?

The virus mutated, and you got a more dangerous variant meanwhile.
Also, Brazil has like 45% with 1 vaccine shot, and 17% fully vaccinated.

Also Brazil numbers, of death are so inaccurate, you basically cant really use them.

Why are things bad in brazil?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56663217

Covid-19: Why have deaths soared in Brazil?  - April 9th 2021

What has Bolsonaro said about Covid?

The president has been highly sceptical about the need to take decisive action to tackle the pandemic:

• he has called Covid "just a little flu"
  • rejected a nationwide lockdown, saying such measures only made the poor poorer
  • called state governors and mayors who imposed lockdown "tyrants"
  • cast doubts on the efficacy and safety of jabs and said he wouldn't get vaccinated
  • joked the Pfizer jab may "turn people into crocodiles"
  • dismissed opportunities to purchase millions of vaccine doses
  • told people to "stop whining" about the situation

He continues to oppose lockdowns, but his government has now stepped up its drive to vaccinate the country's population of more than 200 million people.

A recent estimate from the University of Washington predicted that Brazil could see a total of more than 500,000 deaths by July.

Regional leaders say mixed messaging and a resistance to lockdowns at the national level have made local restrictions harder to enforce.

Hospital intensive care beds in many states across the country are full or close to capacity. 

Dr Miguel Nicolelis, a Brazilian professor of neuroscience at Duke University, told the BBC:
"The country is in a nationwide hospital collapse right now - it's the first time in history the public health system has collapsed.

"If we can acquire the vaccine in large quantities, we could at least mitigate the situation."

ect ect.

^ Once your hospital system cant help people, with beds, oxygen, meds, ect.... numbers of death climb.