By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SvennoJ said:
LurkerJ said:

Israel was the first to vaccinate en masse. Perhaps the immune response goes down faster over time than previously assumed. Still plenty to fight off serious disease, but not enough prevent some illness. Here they are already talking about the need for booster shots for the most vulnerable groups.

I've found some comments on this from Israeli professors looking at the subject. It looks like waning might not be as fast as some were prematurely claiming, and is perhaps as slow as those estimates for natural immunity from the UK:

"Are we seeing immunity waning in Israel? The MoH shared some raw data, and together with @geller_mic we tried to get a qualitative answer to this question. TL;DR – it seems that there is immunity waning, increasing risk of infection of early vaccinated by ~80%. ==>

The problem is that it's not clear what proportion of the population was vaccinated early. 770K is 18%, but this is problematic. It includes non-vaccinated, ultra-orthodox and Arab citizens (the current wave has not spread to those groups yet).

We looked at how many were vaccinated in “general” pop cities, and we estimate it at about 22%. If this is the background that we need to compare to, it means that early vaccinated are at ~75% higher risk for infection. If VE is ~90%, after half a year it drops to ~82.5%.

Now to adults. Here we have 370 cases in early vaccinated from 421 total (88%). What is the expected rate? We estimate it at about 79% of 60+ in the general population. This translates to about a factor of 2 in risk, or if VE is 90% then after half a year later it drops to 80%.

Delta might affect VE, but it's very hard to estimate it based on Israeli data. The data suggest that non-vaccinated adult individuals are reluctant to get tested, which skews calculations towards very low levels of VE.

I personally think that Delta VE is still around 90% for infection, but we will have to wait for better studies. Our analysis does show that after half a year or so this 90% drops to around 82%. It’s a significant reduction, but not a game-changer.

Note that we are comparing here vaccinated individuals to vaccinated individuals. It still might be that “late” vaccinated individuals tend to get tested at lower rates or other biases we can’t assess here.

What can explain this trend except waning? Maybe early vaxxed are more aware of COVID-19 and get tested at higher rates. This can be tested by the MoH."

Around the Network

Well, 24 hours after Pfizer #2 my only side effect is a sore arm.
I feel a bit tired too but I'm unsure if that's the vaccine or just stress.
All that said, I'd have been fine with feeling sick as a dog in exchange for the protection vaccination offers.
No longer having to worry about getting seriously sick or dying is a dream come true after 18 months of anxiety and OCD trashing my mental health.

Weekly update, lots of movement going on

In total 3.74 million new cases were reported last week (up from 3.45 million) to a world wide total of 194,014,060
Also another 68,218 more deaths were reported (up from 56,652) to a total of 4,159,695

Europe is slowing down its growth a bit while the USA is speeding up.

The continents

Asia reported 1.42 million new cases (up from 1.35 million) and 26,255 more deaths (up from 21,552)
Europe reported 965K new cases (up from 834K) and 6,847 more deaths (slightly up from 6,685)
South America reported 571K new cases (slightly down from 592K) and 23,983 more deaths (up from 17,981)
North America reported 535K new cases (up from 379K) and 5,079 more deaths (slightly up from 4,413)
Africa reported 244K new cases (down from 289K) and 5,944 more deaths (5,988 last week)
Oceania reported 7,989 new cases (up from 6,590) and 110 deaths (33 last week)

Corners of the world

USA reported 353K new cases (up from 218K) and 2,052 more deaths (slightly up from 1,898)
Brazil reported 324K new cases (up from 288K) and 7,920 more deaths (down from 8,723)
India reported 267K new cases (slightly down from 269K) and 6,915 more deaths (up from 5,950)
Iran reported 160K new cases (up from 142K) and 1,482 more deaths (slightly up from 1,248)
Japan reported 26.7K new cases (up from 17.2K) and 92 deaths (97 last week)
South Korea reported 10.7K new cases (up from 9,702) and 15 deaths (15 last week)
Canada reported 3,061 new cases (up from 2,677) and 50 deaths (70 last week)
Australia reported 956 new cases (up from 675) and 4 deaths (2 last week)

Europe in detail

Does the UK have new restrictions, or is the fast rise in cases enough to get people to be more cautious.

curl-6 said:

All that said, I'd have been fine with feeling sick as a dog in exchange for the protection vaccination offers.
No longer having to worry about getting seriously sick or dying is a dream come true after 18 months of anxiety and OCD trashing my mental health.

Been around 48hours for me.... so we basically got your 2nd dosses around the same time.

First jab, I was really sore in the arm. I barely felt the needle go in (good job, old nurse lady (she was even cross eyed) lol).
2nd jab, it hurt abit more (young beauty of a nurse, wasn't great with the needle), but overall I wasnt as sore from it.

I remember the first jab, I was abit tired the day after too.
Not much, but like, a tiny bit more than normal late into the day.
(which frekking sucks, when your arm is sore, and your used to sleeping on your sides, toss and turning, only to remember arm hurts = bad for sleep)
(a day or two with bad sleep is whatever though)

2nd shot, was def. the better experiance (for me atleast).
which is odd, because I kept hearing stories about how it was normally the other way around.

"fine with feeling sick as a dog in exchange for the protection vaccination offers.
No longer having to worry about getting seriously sick or dying is a dream come true after 18 months of anxiety and OCD trashing my mental health."

^ so much this.

You feel safer outsides too.
Ei. not as worried about catching covid anymore, and without a doubt, thats good for mental health.

Ka-pi96 said:

I think I've got covid. Worked with somebody on Wednesday who was confirmed to have it on Thursday, now I have a high fever and generally feel like shit.

My boss is being kind of annoying though, he's telling me to go to the hospital for a test. The nearest covid hospital is around 50 minutes away via a bus and 3 trains. Considering how I feel at the moment doing that trip would be difficult. So 2 hours of suffering for me, spending money on transport and the test that I don't really have (not going to get paid while I'm sick so I don't want to needlessly throw money away) and potentially infecting a whole bunch of other people on the way. Just seems like a really stupid and selfish thing to do, just to go from "probably covid" to "definitely covid".

Are you vaccinated? (so you atleast know outcome wont be too bad?)

Around the Network

Looks like Delta hit a wall in England just like it happened in Scotland a few weeks back. We still need to see the impact of restrictions being lifted this past Monday, though, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Around here Delta cases are now over 10% in Rio, so that's a bit concerning (it took about two months for Gamma to spread across the country back at the beginning of the year). But cases are flat-ish or falling yet over there, at least.

Ka-pi96 said:

I think I've got covid. Worked with somebody on Wednesday who was confirmed to have it on Thursday, now I have a high fever and generally feel like shit.

My boss is being kind of annoying though, he's telling me to go to the hospital for a test. The nearest covid hospital is around 50 minutes away via a bus and 3 trains. Considering how I feel at the moment doing that trip would be difficult. So 2 hours of suffering for me, spending money on transport and the test that I don't really have (not going to get paid while I'm sick so I don't want to needlessly throw money away) and potentially infecting a whole bunch of other people on the way. Just seems like a really stupid and selfish thing to do, just to go from "probably covid" to "definitely covid".

You should go just to be safe. You won't die as a young guy, but you might need to be hospitalized.

Also this might be a hassle, but hospitals recommend you call ahead if you think you have covid so that they can keep other patients safe.

JRPGfan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Are you vaccinated? (so you atleast know outcome wont be too bad?)

Very unlikely, vaccinations are very slow here.

ironmanDX said:

Well, I guess being in lockdown is the perfect opportunity for you to sit tight for another 2 weeks or so.

You're in Vic yeah? Proably expect the lockdown to get exgended by anotherr 5- days and we'll be out again I hope.

Yeah I live in Melbourne. Today's case numbers are promising; only 11 cases in the state and all people who were already isolating. We should be on track to open up soon barring any leaks.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

Been around 48hours for me.... so we basically got your 2nd dosses around the same time.

First jab, I was really sore in the arm. I barely felt the needle go in (good job, old nurse lady (she was even cross eyed) lol).
2nd jab, it hurt abit more (young beauty of a nurse, wasn't great with the needle), but overall I wasnt as sore from it.

I remember the first jab, I was abit tired the day after too.
Not much, but like, a tiny bit more than normal late into the day.
(which frekking sucks, when your arm is sore, and your used to sleeping on your sides, toss and turning, only to remember arm hurts = bad for sleep)
(a day or two with bad sleep is whatever though)

2nd shot, was def. the better experiance (for me atleast).
which is odd, because I kept hearing stories about how it was normally the other way around.

"fine with feeling sick as a dog in exchange for the protection vaccination offers.
No longer having to worry about getting seriously sick or dying is a dream come true after 18 months of anxiety and OCD trashing my mental health."

^ so much this.

You feel safer outsides too.
Ei. not as worried about catching covid anymore, and without a doubt, thats good for mental health.

Just ticked over 48 hours for me too; my sore arm and tiredness are now gone and I feel completely normal.

Both jabs gave me a sore arm for about 24 hours, but the first had no other effects on me at all whereas now that I feel normal again I can tell that I was generally a bit little worn out yesterday by comparison. Nothing too bad though, I was expecting more of a kick from it after so many friends an family told me that the second dose hits like a truck.

I guess everyone's body just reacts differently. A lot of people reckon the flu shot makes them feel crummy but it's never affected me, apart from the fact I have never had the flu haha.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2021

SvennoJ said:

What's going on. All the places that were successful in keeping the pandemic at bay are now falling one after the other. After Indonesia, now Vietnam is having a huge spike, first wave there, +128% week over week growth.

67 cases accredited to the Olympic games so far despite strict entry measures. 1,387 new cases in Tokyo on Tuesday. +52% week over week growth in Japan.

I will answer: Delta is a very big problem right now. You can get infected by it when you pass someone on the road in just 5 secs even with your mask on, a lot faster than Alpha, Beta and Gamma. We are still trying to restrain it, but it will be a while.

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 25 July 2021

haxxiy said:

Looks like Delta hit a wall in England just like it happened in Scotland a few weeks back. We still need to see the impact of restrictions being lifted this past Monday, though, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Around here Delta cases are now over 10% in Rio, so that's a bit concerning (it took about two months for Gamma to spread across the country back at the beginning of the year). But cases are flat-ish or falling yet over there, at least.

The % of positive results has sky rocketed though, of the tested.
This usually indicates that your not testing enough people (and supposedly testing is down).

So its hard to say, if its actually "hit a wall" (and stalled) yet.
(or just less testing, resulting in less finds)