By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Moderna vaccine approved in Canada, joining Pfizer's shot in the country's fight against COVID-19

https://thewest.com.au/news/health/canada-joins-us-approves-moderna-vaccine-ng-s-2043131

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Yes this is indeed happening, a lot of people are taking longer to recover from "long covid". Shortness of breath and loss of taste/smell are the most common cases, although based on an article I read recently those are a very tiny minority of cases. Also, dont quote on this because I dont have a source therefore it should be considered a conspiracy theory that should not be researched/mentioned, it seems there is a correlation between babies being born before the correct  date due to covid, like Boris Johnson's son for example. We have seen several cases although this is anecdotal and this is why my wife is terrified of getting it.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201027/loss-of-smell-more-common-in-covid-19-than-thought

"about 77% of COVID-19 patients who were directly measured had smell loss, but only 44% said they did, researchers found."

Around 77% have some degree, of loss of smell. This study found.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mysteries-of-covid-smell-loss-finally-yield-some-answers1/

"An estimated 80 percent of people with COVID-19 have smell disturbances, and many also have dysgeusia or ageusia (a disruption or loss of taste, respectively) or changes in chemesthesis (the ability to sense chemical irritants such as hot chilies). "

A small minority of cases?
Majority of people that get covid, experiance changes to smell & taste.
Some people lose it all together, and it can be permanent.

We can assume that the majority of COVID cases are asymptomatic and not detected. So it is indeed true that only a minority of infected people have those symptoms.

Though it's still a problem considering the great amount of infected people.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hiku said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

I was referring to serious complications from covid, not the loss of smell and taste, as I was answering about people with serious complications after getting cured. Loss of smell and taste is a very common symptom and actually it's the one that if you have it you can be almost certain it is covid. I got two people in my family right now diagnosed with covid and dealing with loss of smell and taste, although the other symptoms were very mild.

I hope we agree that losing your sense of smell and tatse permanently is a serious complication.

Yes it is and definitely I dont want it to happen to me (although maybe it would help me lose weight), but it does not seem that a considerable amount of people is losing it permanently.

Hiku said:

I hope we agree that losing your sense of smell and tatse permanently is a serious complication.

I hope it's not permanent for my wife. She spend hours on making us a great early christmas dinner and she says she can't taste it, just tastes flat to her.

EnricoPallazzo said:

Yes it is and definitely I dont want it to happen to me (although maybe it would help me lose weight), but it does not seem that a considerable amount of people is losing it permanently.

It won't help you lose weight, probably make it worse. She can still taste sugar and fats, veggies and fruits are all bland.

SvennoJ said:
Hiku said:

I hope it's not permanent for my wife. She spend hours on making us a great early christmas dinner and she says she can't taste it, just tastes flat to her.

EnricoPallazzo said:

It won't help you lose weight, probably make it worse. She can still taste sugar and fats, veggies and fruits are all bland.

I hope your wife gets well soon, most likely it will last for a few weeks but unfortunately some cases take months. 

As for losing weight, I dont know, my mother in law already lost 6 pounds as she says she no longer wants to eat as every thing tastes like dirt. In the end Im a fat bastar and I would eat a lot even not being able to taste it.

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:

In the end Im a fat bastar and I would eat a lot even not being able to taste it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

So, I have around 30 people now at my work who had Covid-19 and some really suffer from it. One has almost died and was three weeks in a hospital (he's almost 40 and obese) and many lost their taste/smell, a lot of weight, have problems to breathe and so on...

And even in this situation which everyone at my work can see now and with people telling you how bad they suffered or still do there are some at my work who are on Facebook like "it's just a total lie about death rates and blablabla"

It's crazy how resistant some people are to the truth even when many people you work years with tell you how bad it was.

How can you almost lose someone at work to it and some days later you write on Facebook "Covid-19 is nothing but harmless". WTF

crissindahouse said:

So, I have around 30 people now at my work who had Covid-19 and some really suffer from it. One has almost died and was three weeks in a hospital (he's almost 40 and obese) and many lost their taste/smell, a lot of weight, have problems to breathe and so on...

And even in this situation which everyone at my work can see now and with people telling you how bad they suffered or still do there are some at my work who are on Facebook like "it's just a total lie about death rates and blablabla"

It's crazy how resistant some people are to the truth even when many people you work years with tell you how bad it was.

How can you almost lose someone at work to it and some days later you write on Facebook "Covid-19 is nothing but harmless". WTF

It killed 880+ ppl yesterday in germany.
Would be my reply to those german colleagues.

"How can you almost lose someone at work to it and some days later you write on Facebook "Covid-19 is nothing but harmless""

Almost harmless has killed around 1,8 million people, so far.
Would not be surprised if before 2022, its over 3m.

EnricoPallazzo said:

I hope your wife gets well soon, most likely it will last for a few weeks but unfortunately some cases take months. 

As for losing weight, I dont know, my mother in law already lost 6 pounds as she says she no longer wants to eat as every thing tastes like dirt. In the end Im a fat bastar and I would eat a lot even not being able to taste it.

Hiku said:

Sorry to hear that. How long has she been in that condition?

It was never confirmed she had it, but it happened back in Februari :/ The really bad period lasted for a couple weeks, however some symptoms are still around. She did get her smell back, taste is still lacking, 9 months later. It took a long time to recover breathing wise, still not back to normal. She also still gets tired easily, sometimes she's in bed as early as 7 pm...

Be careful, it's a lottery you don't want to win.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 24 December 2020

So the Butantan Institute has finished phase III trials for CoronaVac but won't divulge the results until data from all countries is aggregated by early January. Talk behind the curtains, however, is that efficacy isn't actually as high as hoped. That probably means Turkey has divulged fake results about it, and so did the UAE when it reported results from a similar inactivated vaccine (using data from China, not their own).

I mean, while 60% might sound good in theory, do remember that literally none of these vaccines, even the 90% press release ones, has had time to properly accrue results from older age groups besides a broad sketch that it elicits immunogenicity among elderly people in earlier phase trials. Ideally, you would have time to put aside these concerns, but it's rather possible that efficacy will be revised downwards in the upcoming months and years depending on the country's demographic profile. So you'd want some wiggle room in here, not to be tethering on the edge.

So that means that, at the moment, Brazil is stuck with:

- CoronaVac. Locally produced and cheap, but probably ~ 60% efficacy or so.

- AZ's Chadox vaccine. The only peer-reviewed vaccine so that's very good. Also cheap but on the lower end of efficacy too.

- J&J's vaccine. Single-dose vaccine but an unknown quantity.

- Sputnik-V. Also an unknown quantity, given no independent analysis. In theory, it could work like AZ's.

- The Indian inactivated vaccine whose name I forgot. In theory, it could work like CoronaVac.

- The Biotech vaccine. Sounds good but only press releases so far. Bolsonaro has an open feud with it, and most doses won't come until the second semester, if the vaccine is bought at all.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 25 December 2020