By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

CaptainExplosion said:

A friend of mine from the states has said that now he has COVID-19.

If my friend doesn't make it, then fuck China. Fuck them forever. I hope Canada and the US halt all trade and relations with that good for nothing disease spreading shit stain, and I hope Trump is locked up for making the pandemic even worse being the plague spreading cock sucker that he is.

If 2020 were a person I'd slowly kill them.

If he is below 60, is not heavily overweight and does not have some underlying serious condition such as diabetes, immunosuppressed or respiratory problem, he/she will be fine.

Out of dozens of people I know who got covid only my aunt which is heavily obese got problems, still was back home after one week. She is just taking some time to recover as part of her lungs got compromised.

And no US/Canada dont care about it and will keep on bending over to china, this ship has sailed.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

A less conspiracy view on the new strain (what was that second part of that video....)

Isn't this at least the second time a seemingly more contagious strain variant takes over? Natural selection also favors asymptomatic transmission, unnoticed (less damaging) transmission gets free reign, while people with symptoms isolate. The reason this virus is so hard to get rid of is because it's not all that deadly and doesn't severely affect most people.

A less damaging, more infectious strain can actually help build up herd immunity. However there are no signs either that it is less damaging.

Yep. Mind you, it is very hard to prove if D614G or this actually makes the virus more transmissible or not. There's a number of factors that favor heterogeneous distribution of viral strains, akin to the founder effect, such as superspreader events, degrees of sociability among different groups, sheer chance, etc.

On the other hand, bind too perfectly to your target receptor and you become an easier target to neutralizing antibodies. So the chances are, much like it has been theorized for D614G, that vaccines and natural infections will actually be more protective against future Covid than they would otherwise be.

As for the natural selection of the virus, it was evident from the beginning that our response to the pandemic placed an unusual degree of evolutionary pressure over a respiratory virus that favors not only less virulence, but also greater transmissibility and/or longer incubation periods. But the greater concern would be if people were adequately shielding against it but the virus was still efficiently spreading in hospitals, since that is precisely what could have made it more dangerous over time.

Personally, I think it's reductionism to ascribe to a single mutation the consequences of hundreds of millions of people moving around for the holidays, in the middle of the northern hemisphere winter, at a time when the fear of the virus has dulled and a lot of people are tired of following the guidelines. It was obvious that the end of the year was going to be bad all along.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 22 December 2020

CaptainExplosion said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

If he is below 60, is not heavily overweight and does not have some underlying serious condition such as diabetes, immunosuppressed or respiratory problem, he/she will be fine.

Out of dozens of people I know who got covid only my aunt which is heavily obese got problems, still was back home after one week. She is just taking some time to recover as part of her lungs got compromised.

And no US/Canada dont care about it and will keep on bending over to china, this ship has sailed.

Then someone needs to drive a rail spike right through Xi Jinpig's head.

At this point by biggest hope is for sudden death or  a war inside the party to remove him.

But I dont think covid happened because of China. It could have appeared anywhere. Yes we lost a lot of time on preparations due to their lies (along with WHO) but the outcome would be the same. Just go back in time and see the world reaction once the virus was all on news. Nobody cared, nobody closed their borders, everyone kept receiving flights from China and other infected countries. People only started to realise how serious it was when they saw the collapse on Italy's heath care system. Chances are if China and Who did have not lied, the measures the west world took would happen at exactly the same time and the outcome would be the same.

Unless the virus actually was created in a lab and somehow escaped on a security breach, which is something should not be discussed or investigated.

Hmm, has the mutation already arrived in Ireland? I see their cases suddenly going up at a similar rate to the UK.

We're postponing our lock down until the 26th, after Christmas, boxing day. Couple more days to seed!

Hiku said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

I know a guy in his early 30s who was not in any known risk group, who lost his sense of smell 8 months ago, and he still doesn't have it back.
A woman in her early 20s with permanent lung problems. And I've heard from aquaintances about loss of breath after just taking a few steps up a staircase, chronic headaches, etc.

So rather than he/she will be fine, it's that they more likely will be.
But this is something people should do their absolute best to avoid no matter their age group or medical history, etc.

The main focus in the news is the death rates, but not much about what can happen to those that survive.

Jeremih suffered organ failure, had to learn to walk again after battling COVID-19 (yahoo.com)

Yes this is indeed happening, a lot of people are taking longer to recover from "long covid". Shortness of breath and loss of taste/smell are the most common cases, although based on an article I read recently those are a very tiny minority of cases. Also, dont quote on this because I dont have a source therefore it should be considered a conspiracy theory that should not be researched/mentioned, it seems there is a correlation between babies being born before the correct  date due to covid, like Boris Johnson's son for example. We have seen several cases although this is anecdotal and this is why my wife is terrified of getting it.

Around the Network

Imagine finding out your immune system is worse than Bolsonaro's or Trump's in the off chance you end up with long Covid. I mean, know we know both treated themselves with ineffective and even harmful medication, so yeah, that'd be an extra bit of salt to the wound.

Or maybe the Devil is just that powerful.

haxxiy said:

Imagine finding out your immune system is worse than Bolsonaro's or Trump's in the off chance you end up with long Covid. I mean, know we know both treated themselves with ineffective and even harmful medication, so yeah, that'd be an extra bit of salt to the wound.

Did Trump get plasma treatment, anti bodies from people that already got through covid?

Yep, imported from Singapore
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3104427/trumps-covid-19-antibody-treatment-was-partly

Very effective, hard to come by, treatment. I wonder what the total medical bill is for Trump's covid treatment.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Hiku said:

I know a guy in his early 30s who was not in any known risk group, who lost his sense of smell 8 months ago, and he still doesn't have it back.
A woman in her early 20s with permanent lung problems. And I've heard from aquaintances about loss of breath after just taking a few steps up a staircase, chronic headaches, etc.

So rather than he/she will be fine, it's that they more likely will be.
But this is something people should do their absolute best to avoid no matter their age group or medical history, etc.

The main focus in the news is the death rates, but not much about what can happen to those that survive.

Jeremih suffered organ failure, had to learn to walk again after battling COVID-19 (yahoo.com)

Yes this is indeed happening, a lot of people are taking longer to recover from "long covid". Shortness of breath and loss of taste/smell are the most common cases, although based on an article I read recently those are a very tiny minority of cases. Also, dont quote on this because I dont have a source therefore it should be considered a conspiracy theory that should not be researched/mentioned, it seems there is a correlation between babies being born before the correct  date due to covid, like Boris Johnson's son for example. We have seen several cases although this is anecdotal and this is why my wife is terrified of getting it.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201027/loss-of-smell-more-common-in-covid-19-than-thought

"about 77% of COVID-19 patients who were directly measured had smell loss, but only 44% said they did, researchers found."

Around 77% have some degree, of loss of smell. This study found.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mysteries-of-covid-smell-loss-finally-yield-some-answers1/

"An estimated 80 percent of people with COVID-19 have smell disturbances, and many also have dysgeusia or ageusia (a disruption or loss of taste, respectively) or changes in chemesthesis (the ability to sense chemical irritants such as hot chilies). "

A small minority of cases?
Majority of people that get covid, experiance changes to smell & taste.
Some people lose it all together, and it can be permanent.

haxxiy said:

Its chance based, more than anything.
not a matter of better or worse = long recovery / bad outcome.

Its like rolling a dice, some people just get unlucky.

haxxiy said:

As far as I know Trump got top notch treatment including some experimental antibody stuff.

As for Bolsonaro he is a strong guy and in shape, with no underlying condition except the wounds and surgeries from the knife attack. He got cured naturally as 99.8% of people. Nothing special here. Which is bad because he started using it as a way to downplay the pandemic, of course.

JRPGfan said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201027/loss-of-smell-more-common-in-covid-19-than-thought

"about 77% of COVID-19 patients who were directly measured had smell loss, but only 44% said they did, researchers found."

Around 77% have some degree, of loss of smell. This study found.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mysteries-of-covid-smell-loss-finally-yield-some-answers1/

"An estimated 80 percent of people with COVID-19 have smell disturbances, and many also have dysgeusia or ageusia (a disruption or loss of taste, respectively) or changes in chemesthesis (the ability to sense chemical irritants such as hot chilies). "

A small minority of cases?
Majority of people that get covid, experiance changes to smell & taste.
Some people lose it all together, and it can be permanent.

haxxiy said:

Its chance based, more than anything.
not a matter of better or worse = long recovery / bad outcome.

Its like rolling a dice, some people just get unlucky.

I was referring to serious complications from covid, not the loss of smell and taste, as I was answering about people with serious complications after getting cured. Loss of smell and taste is a very common symptom and actually it's the one that if you have it you can be almost certain it is covid. I got two people in my family right now diagnosed with covid and dealing with loss of smell and taste, although the other symptoms were very mild.