By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

So we've seen a rise in cases resently in Denmark, and we basically have a area (city) were the vast majority of it, comes from.
Its called Arhus, and aparently over 70% of those new cases (the last week) were from 1st/2nd generation immigrants (libanon/somalia, ect).

Thats nuts to me, how can 70%+ of cases, be from a group that probably make up like 2-3% of the population or something?
Do they need to be told not to gather, and spread the virus? wash their hands, use masks ect? what is going on.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
jason1637 said:
Looks like the US is back on a downward trajectory in terms of new cases.

It's a bit of an unknown atm. Many testing centers are closed in Florida due to the tropical storm coming through and there was a lot of suspicious activity with the reported numbers when HHS took over reporting from the CDC.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MoPER6NxPk

More data that seems to suggest that US is giveing wrong/lower reported numbers than it should.
(manipulateing data, that its giveing to the public about new daily infections)

7;19 into the video.
NYT collects data from all the states/hospitals themselves in the country, and get a differnt number, when added up, than the one the CDC reports.

So, the US governments are purposely suppressing information vital for health practices of its citizens for the purpose of politicizing this pandemic. How very American.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

One thing that data must suggest is that covid is still growing in most of Brazilian states

It's not that true. May was the peak of infection in some states, June in others and July in others. What people don't realize is before June numbers here were massively underreported.

In my state, Pernambuco, the outbreak started late March and its peak was in May. We are one of the states with the 5th highest mortality rate (6.6%) not something to be proud of. True my state is not one the richest but we have the THIRD highest ICU beds per capita in Brazil and the death-roll still that high, why? Because the outbreak here was much more overwhelming than what we think

Compare both graphs, this one shows daily reported cases:

This one shows reported deaths:

It's like we only started with proper testing now because there is less demand. During May there was so much demand for testing that state only tested obvious cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Fortunately, my state track how is SRAS infection going:

In orange we have people who tested positive for Covid-19. Week 10 was the first or second week of March I think. Week 32 might be last week. The peak of pandemic was from week 16 to week 22, months of April and May, since then SARS-CoV has been on steady decline and I really believe overall infection has been on declining ever since

Just a reflection: If we keep tracking 1k new positives cases a day when SRAS cases declined by over 92% since May, can you even imagine how bad was we doing months ago and we will never know? Wouldn't be surprised to discover the number of infected here is closer to half million than our official 100k 

JRPGfan said:

So we've seen a rise in cases resently in Denmark, and we basically have a area (city) were the vast majority of it, comes from.
Its called Arhus, and aparently over 70% of those new cases (the last week) were from 1st/2nd generation immigrants (libanon/somalia, ect).

Thats nuts to me, how can 70%+ of cases, be from a group that probably make up like 2-3% of the population or something?
Do they need to be told not to gather, and spread the virus? wash their hands, use masks ect? what is going on.

New article in a online news paper, explained it.
Apparently someone died and a funeral and alot of people showed up, theres also been Eid-parties.
(i didnt even know what a Eid party was, apparently its a muslim holiday thingy, well in some of these parties they gathered 500+ people)
Where a large amount of these infections stem from.

*sigh* Your not supposed to gather that many, thanks to that the city now has alot more infected.

IcaroRibeiro said:

One thing that data must suggest is that covid is still growing in most of Brazilian states

It's not that true. May was the peak of infection in some states, June in others and July in others. What people don't realize is before June numbers here were massively underreported.

In my state, Pernambuco, the outbreak started late March and its peak was in May. We are one of the states with the 5th highest mortality rate (6.6%) not something to be proud of. True my state is not one the richest but we have the THIRD highest ICU beds per capita in Brazil and the death-roll still that high, why? Because the outbreak here was much more overwhelming than what we think

Compare both graphs, this one shows daily reported cases:

This one shows reported deaths:

It's like we only started with proper testing now because there is less demand. During May there was so much demand for testing that state only tested obvious cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Fortunately, my state track how is SRAS infection going:

In orange we have people who tested positive for Covid-19. Week 10 was the first or second week of March I think. Week 32 might be last week. The peak of pandemic was from week 16 to week 22, months of April and May, since then SARS-CoV has been on steady decline and I really believe overall infection has been on declining ever since

Just a reflection: If we keep tracking 1k new positives cases a day when SRAS cases declined by over 92% since May, can you even imagine how bad was we doing months ago and we will never know? Wouldn't be surprised to discover the number of infected here is closer to half million than our official 100k 

It must be moving around the country I guess, worldometer pretty much shows the same reported deaths for the past 2 months
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

It seems every state is responding too late and next the challenge will be not to let it keep going around in circles, your state going into a second wave while other states are still trying to get the first wave under control.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It must be moving around the country I guess, worldometer pretty much shows the same reported deaths for the past 2 months
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

It seems every state is responding too late and next the challenge will be not to let it keep going around in circles, your state going into a second wave while other states are still trying to get the first wave under control.

Yes, I think that's the case. Some states locked themselves pretty fast (mostly in South and Center-west), but they opened eventually and are peaking right now. North and Northeast states peaked faster from May to June, and are trying to control their current waves

States that faced outbreak early (like mine) are reopening now, but will face a second wave eventually. I just hope that to be delayed enough so we can end the second wave in like February or March with a proper vaccine

IcaroRibeiro said:

Yes, I think that's the case. Some states locked themselves pretty fast (mostly in South and Center-west), but they opened eventually and are peaking right now. North and Northeast states peaked faster from May to June, and are trying to control their current waves

States that faced outbreak early (like mine) are reopening now, but will face a second wave eventually. I just hope that to be delayed enough so we can end the second wave in like February or March with a proper vaccine

Hoping for a global coordinated response is in the realm of wishful thinking when countries can't even form a coordinated response between regions. It's the same here in Canada, every province and each county make up their own strategies. Luckily we erred more on the side of caution and things never got out of control, however we're still not rid of it either, not at a level yet where I feel comfortable with schools re-opening (as planned with full classes)

Btw, been wanting to say this for a long time, Excellent choice of Avatar! I love Whisper of the heart. Great taste!

vivster said:
EricHiggin said:

"Choice. The 'problem', is choice."

Where I come from choice is a good thing. It's one of humanity's great treasures. And there is no better time than to choose than in the age of information, where there is no excuse to make an uninformed decision.

What's worse, making a poor decision because you were uniformed, or making a poor decision anyway while being informed?

How long before the 'awoken' are knowledgeable enough and are in complete control of themselves to make the 'best' decisions?

In an age of seemingly limitless information, what kind of civilization allows individuals to choose what to be informed about and what not?

CanSino Biologics are ready to launch Phase III of their vaccine in Saudi Arabia, with the Ministry of Health having announced its preparedness to begin the trials.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1717041/saudi-arabia

This brings the total number of vaccines that have reached this final phase to 8.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 August 2020

EricHiggin said:
vivster said:

Where I come from choice is a good thing. It's one of humanity's great treasures. And there is no better time than to choose than in the age of information, where there is no excuse to make an uninformed decision.

What's worse, making a poor decision because you were uniformed, or making a poor decision anyway while being informed?

How long before the 'awoken' are knowledgeable enough and are in complete control of themselves to make the 'best' decisions?

In an age of seemingly limitless information, what kind of civilization allows individuals to choose what to be informed about and what not?

You're still trying to make a case out of nothing.

But to answer your question, it is ALWAYS better to make an informed decision, no matter the outcome. The odds will be in your favor of making a good decision, an uninformed decision is just random and will only yield random results.

Humanity doesn't progress by waiting for hindsight to make a slightly better decision. Since perfect information is impossible you have to pull the trigger at some point. You do that every day by waking up and stepping outside without knowing if you will get hit by a car. But you still have to go outside because trying to gather enough information about every car in your area is just not viable.

To still make the best possible decisions at every given moment whe have the best information gatherers and processors, also called scientists. Their sole job is to do just that every day and pass that information back to us. We trust them because they have the most complete information that is available. Deciding on anything without using their information is always a less informed decision than it could be and we have already established that that is a bad thing if it can be helped.

If that is too abstract for you, you can easily apply that principle to your life to become happier and have fewer regrets. The trick is to always make the most informed decision and put your trust into scientists to get that information. If something goes wrong you won't have any regrets because you made the best possible decision possible at that moment. It's what I do and I'm both happier and make better decisions on average, it's a win-win.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.