By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

vivster said:
SpokenTruth said:

I have Sweden listed as 24th in cases per 1 million population and 8th in deaths per 1 million population.

That's behind 17 European nations/territories for cases and 7 nation/territories for deaths.

Do you have data to dispute mine? I'd love move sources to average out my data if it's valid. We all know how important factual information and multiple sources can be given the situation. And the more good sources the better.  Even if it makes my charts take longer to develop.

I'm using worldometer and I'm intentionally omitting countries with less than 1m population, because they have very misleading per capita numbers. I disregard case numbers completely, because they don't mean anything if countries aren't testing, which Sweden most certainly does not. Sweden is currently arount 57th in tests per capita, which means case numbers mean absolutely nothing. And considering how little they're testing it's safe to assume that they are also not catching a lot of deaths.

If you take that all and combine it with a population density and geographical location that most countries wish they had right now then it's easy to see that Sweden is doing terribly on a global scale.

Sometimes I can't tell if you are trolling or not. Look at our excess death and covid death, they align. There might be a very low undercounting. As for population density. Stockholm inner city (1million people) has same population density as Munich and far higher population density than Oslo, higher than copenhagen.

Anyway guys we might have several mysteries ongoing about this virus. I might make a post about it on Sunday.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
SpokenTruth said:

I have Sweden listed as 24th in cases per 1 million population and 8th in deaths per 1 million population.

That's behind 17 European nations/territories for cases and 7 nation/territories for deaths.

Do you have data to dispute mine? I'd love move sources to average out my data if it's valid. We all know how important factual information and multiple sources can be given the situation. And the more good sources the better.  Even if it makes my charts take longer to develop.

For deaths per million, there are 2 unfortunate tiny countries which aren't much more than one small city wedged in between the worst hit areas in Europe.

San Marino, 41 deaths, 1209 per million (less than 34K total population, 530 per sq km)
Andorra, 51 deaths, 660 per million (77.2K total population, 164 per sq km)

Then you have Belgium high up, but also a lot more honest in counting deaths including all nursing home deaths. (Belgium only has a small difference between excess deaths and covid19 deaths)
Belgium, 9,150 deaths, 790 per million (11.6 million population, 377 per sq km)

And lastly the 4 juggernauts, worst hit countries in Europe
Spain, 27.8K deaths, 594 per million (46.8 million population, 91.4 per sq km)
Italy, 32.2K deaths, 532 per million (60.5 million population, 201 per sq km)
UK, 35.3K deaths, 521 per million (67.8 million population, 259 per sq km)
France, 28.0K deaths, 429 per million (65.3 million population, 117 per sq km)

Then comes Sweden
Sweden, 3,831 deaths, 380 per million (10.1 million population, 24 per sq km)

If you divide deaths per million by population density

1. Sweden 15.83
2. Spain 6.499
3. Andorra 4.024
4. France 3.667
5. Italy 2.647
6. San Marino 2.281
7. Belgium 2.095
8. UK 2.012

UK, despite doing the worst in Europe for raw numbers, is actually doing a lot better than Sweden taking population density into account.

Not a measure to favor my country at 4 people per sq km lol. 157 deaths per million, 39.25 Canada tops Sweden when measured like that.
Canada isn't doing a great job either with Ontario and Quebec.
Ontario, 1919 deaths, 132 per million (14.6 million population, 14 per sq km) 9.429 per million / population density
Quebec, 3647 deaths,  430 per million (8.49 million population, 8 per sq km) 53.73 per million / population density

Of course both Quebec and Ontario (and the whole of Canada) has huge empty spaces. Sweden probably does as well.

"If you divide deaths per million by population density"

But why.gif ?

I know population density effects how it spreads and how hard to contain it is....
but your useing that to "twist" deaths pr million, into something positive for the UK?

UK shouldn't get a "but if we also look at population density" score, to make things seem better for them.

They are MASSIVELY under reporting covid19 deaths.
They have a excess mortality of around 60,000, while reporting just 35,000 deaths to covid19.

So my 2 issues:
1) numbers reported from each of these countries arnt equally accurate (UKs is off by alot).
2) it doesnt make sense to me to "score" how a country does, by giveing them points for population density.

edit:

Trumpstyle said:
vivster said:

I'm using worldometer and I'm intentionally omitting countries with less than 1m population, because they have very misleading per capita numbers. I disregard case numbers completely, because they don't mean anything if countries aren't testing, which Sweden most certainly does not. Sweden is currently arount 57th in tests per capita, which means case numbers mean absolutely nothing. And considering how little they're testing it's safe to assume that they are also not catching a lot of deaths.

If you take that all and combine it with a population density and geographical location that most countries wish they had right now then it's easy to see that Sweden is doing terribly on a global scale.

Sometimes I can't tell if you are trolling or not. Look at our excess death and covid death, they align. There might be a very low undercounting. As for population density. Stockholm inner city (1million people) has same population density as Munich and far higher population density than Oslo, higher than copenhagen.

Anyway guys we might have several mysteries ongoing about this virus. I might make a post about it on Sunday.

As much as it bugs me to agree with Trumpstyle.
Hes right about their excess deaths and covid19 reported deaths.

And most of their cases are in stockholm were population density isnt that much lower than most other places in europe.

SpokenTruth said:
Guys, did either of you actually read my initial post? Both of you reacted as though I was saying they were doing great long term or overall. I specifically said the rating was only a trending indicator. If the past 3 days has falling number, great rating.

My second post was factual data. What's to argue regarding when we used the same damn reference for it?

Oh, and population density is only a valid measure against nations of equal value. Do you really want to compare the US, Russia and Brazil (very low densities) against Italy, France and Spain (much higher densities) given that the first group still has more cases and/or deaths than the second group? With such lower density, how did it spread enough to become the highest infected nations? (please understand I deliberately phrased that last question in a specific manner to elicit a specific response).

Ignoring the fact that new case rates for Brazil and Russia are indicative of later starting infections.

This isnt off of your trending indicator.
Their debateing because I said Sweden wasnt doing so poorly.

I think Sweden, as crazy as it sounds has handled this outbreak better than the UK has.
Which even to me sounds crazy, because sweden basically didnt do a lockdown.

Here's a picture from Nytimes hit piece on us:

We have reported a total of 3831 death which includes todays number. Nytimes report an excess death of 3300 as of may 3.

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

Sweden did bad and they still have a lot of deaths per week considering their small population.

But they have much less deaths as most virologists claimed a country would have with doing so little.

So, better as expected but still climbing that deaths per million population ladder.

Question is how it will look after a year. Will other countries have much worse new waves as Sweden or not. If not, Sweden fucked up but maybe Sweden will look better as it does right now in a year.

But Sweden shouldn't be compared with a country like Italy with such an old population and with so many homes where you have three generations living together (or only two but still with a 45 years old son living with his parents)

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 20 May 2020

Around the Network
donathos said:
vivster said:

I wasn't referring to the daily trends. It was more of a statement to the Sweden apologists in here who for some reason think that Sweden did not do one of the worst jobs in the world at stopping their outbreak.

Sweden was not and is not trying to "stop their outbreak." They're aiming at protecting themselves against worse future outcomes by controlling the spread of the virus now, which may or may not prove to be a good strategy -- but your analysis will be better if you can at least try to understand their objectives. It won't really be possible fully to evaluate this approach until we know more.

(And please drop the juvenile and needlessly antagonistic "Sweden apologist" rhetoric. Rather than casting absolutely everything as "us versus them" team ball, consider that others may simply want someone to find the best way to deal with this unprecedented-in-the-modern-age problem, regardless of who, where, or "what team" they're supposedly on. I root for Sweden to succeed, because why on earth wouldn't I?)

Please enlighten me as to what their real objective is. It's obviously not killing as few people as possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Trumpstyle said:

Here's a picture from Nytimes hit piece on us:

We have reported a total of 3831 death which includes todays number. Nytimes report an excess death of 3300 as of may 3.

Canada looked into its excess deaths as well and came out we're well in the negative after subtracting the covid19 deaths.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/excess-deaths-not-in-canada-during-pandemic-s-early-days-statcan-says-1.4937145
The agency found that between Jan. 1 and March 31, the eight provinces and one territory included in the data actually saw 1,145 fewer deaths than expected.
Quebec, which has been hit harder by the pandemic than any other part of Canada, logged 1,257 fewer deaths than expected between January and March, according to StatCan.

Another measure to take with a grain of salt, plenty other factors at work, but large percentages above normal do indicate not counting all covid19 related deaths.

Anyway, cities are hit harder, low population density areas are hit much less or not at all (Nunavut in Canada). Comparing Sweden to the UK will always be comparing apples to oranges. The population of greater London (8.9 million) isn't that far off the entire population of Sweden. The population density of Greater London is 4,542 people per sq km, Greater Stockholm or Stockholm county (2.2 million) has a population density of 360 people per sq km.

Population density seems to be the biggest factor for community spread which makes sense. NYC (18.8 million) has a population density of over 10K per sq km. Melbourne (5.2 million), the most populated city in Australia, 453 per sq km. It makes more sense to compare Sweden to Australia than to the UK or USA.

For comparison, the greater Toronto area (5.9 million) has a population density of 849 per sq km and Montreal metro area (4.1 million) 898 per sq km. We have tons of room but crowded cities as well.

Lower density, less measures needed to get the growth rate below 1.0, much better chances at beating the spread quickly and then keeping it under control with much lower effort. New Zealand and Australia caught on quickly and are now virtually free of community spread. Norway and Luxembourg as well, Finland, Austria and Switzerland very close behind followed by Ireland and Denmark. Japan and South Korea got it under control as well.

Sweden still has the easy mode option to eliminate community spread in less than a month if they want to. Or keep going with 60 deaths a day until maybe it stops by itself. It should eventually when the higher density areas start getting saturated, either by herd immunity or by all the easy targets being used up. I assume many Swedish people are just as concerned and practice their own social distancing while avoiding places carrying more risk.

Google's mobility update dated May 13 still has Sweden at -18% retail + recreation, -34% transit stations, and -23% workplaces.
https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-05-13_SE_Mobility_Report_en.pdf
No mandated lockdown (which is needed where population density is simply too high to let people self regulate) yet people are taking measures.

SvennoJ said:

Anyway, cities are hit harder, low population density areas are hit much less or not at all (Nunavut in Canada). Comparing Sweden to the UK will always be comparing apples to oranges. The population of greater London (8.9 million) isn't that far off the entire population of Sweden. The population density of Greater London is 4,542 people per sq km, Greater Stockholm or Stockholm county (2.2 million) has a population density of 360 people per sq km.

It's hard to find info on population density. But this what I found, population density urban London 6004 citizen/km2 and Stockholm urban density 3970 citizen/km2, this is based on swedish wikipedia.

London

Stockholm

I think both u and vivster are wrong, but I don't know much about population density.

Edit: This what I found english wikipedia, 1million people 4500 citizen/km2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_Municipality

Also I'm not comparing us to any country, but there are several people using population density as an argument, they are likely wrong, based on this post I just made.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 20 May 2020

This topic is still active ? There are still that many people who believe today that this virus is a real danger ?

SvennoJ said:

The population of greater London (8.9 million) isn't that far off the entire population of Sweden. The population density of Greater London is 4,542 people per sq km, Greater Stockholm or Stockholm county (2.2 million) has a population density of 360 people per sq km.

Population density seems to be the biggest factor for community spread which makes sense. NYC (18.8 million) has a population density of over 10K per sq km. Melbourne (5.2 million), the most populated city in Australia, 453 per sq km. It makes more sense to compare Sweden to Australia than to the UK or USA.

For compar.

You are comparing apples to oranges within an apples to oranges comparison.

The area of Stockholm County (Stockholms län) is 4 times greater than Greater London (6500 sq km vs 1570 sq km). That should be an indication of the two not being comparable. There are huge swathes of forests, lakes and farmland that are a part of Stockholm County. Just throwing "Greater" infront of the city name doesn't have any standardized meaning in terms of city borders and where the cutoff is.

What you should be comparing it to is the Stockholm Urban Area, which has a population of 1.4 million (two thirds of the entire country) and an area of 381 sq km (about 6% of the entire county). Which gives a population density of 3600 per sq km, which, you know, actually makes sense because large urban areas don't have a population density of 360 people per sq km. I'd look into your Melbourne number because it triggers my bullshit alarm immediately as well, but I think this gets the message across.