By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Here's a nice facepalm moment.

USA and UK at the top for rapid response and mitigation of a pandemic....

https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Global-Health-Security-Index.pdf

Around the Network
vivster said:
John2290 said:

Nah. Their politics and vodka make them exempt. 

Their politics are European and so are the potatoes they use for their Vodka.

I'm not taking the John guy's side in the argument, but potatoes are from Peru, we just happen to love them (seriously, potatoes are probably 50% of my food intake in the colder half of the year, at least). Tomatoes and chili peppers are also from Peru.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 May 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
vivster said:

I'm not taking the John guy's side in the argument, but potatoes are from Peru, we just happen to love them (seriously, potatoes are probably 50% of my food intake in the colder half of the year, at least). Tomatoes and chili peppers are also from Peru.

I know where potatoes are from. And I also know where they are cultivated and eaten the most, which is Europe.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
Jumpin said:

Potatoes are from the potatoe tree here in Ireland. Cultural appropriation!

Irish people looking at trees for potatoes could certainly explain one or the other famine.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
vivster said:

So the deeply intertwined history of Russia with European countries and their obvious European culture which is far removed from any Asian influences means nothing?

Russia is just as European as France, Germany or any other country here. If you want to boot out any country then do it with Turkey.

Nah. Their politics and vodka make them exempt. 

Tbh russian vodka is cheap and really high quality (usually).
Why would makeing something at a world class level excempt you from being european?

Same with russian champagne/sparkling wine, their basically at level with most of the french ones, but for alot less.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
vivster said:

Yeah add chocolate, corn, beans, avocado, peanuts, pineapple, sunflower, sweet potato to the list of foods from South America.. it's nuts how many common foods derived from that region

Imagine if we logged the crap out of this region before we discovered these foods, how much poorer would our diets be today  

Fun Fact about Coffee (from Africa).. It was in what is now Yemen that coffee seeds were first roasted and brewed in a manner similar to how it is now prepared for drinking

SvennoJ said:

My wife still runs out of breath much sooner than before she that severe pneumonia. She might indeed have (some) permanent lung damage :/ Blueish fingers and lips from lack of oxygen still happens now and then as well :(

Sorry to hear. That's not normal, she should get it investigated as many conditions can cause that. 

SvennoJ said:

Here's a nice facepalm moment.

USA and UK at the top for rapid response and mitigation of a pandemic....

https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Global-Health-Security-Index.pdf

Well, yeah.

They had the facilities, the know-how, the tech and the personnel - and both have leaders who totally squandered that lead so much that the result is somewhere at the bottom of the chart now

SpokenTruth said:

5/11 Charts:

Everybody had a good day except Russia and Saudi Arabia (both at record cases). Even the US, UK and Brazil had a good day. Even better is that Mauritius, Western Sahara and Saint Pierre Miquelon have all joined the No Active Cases chart. Let's see if this trend plays out through the rest of the week or if it is just the Monday reporting lag.

I've also widened the columns a little to make the scales a little easier to see.  I may have to come up with a new display method or completely separate the US out since it's overshadowing everything else.

The power of mother's day was felt world wide.

A lot of countries report for the previous day which was all tallies made on Mother's day. The rest process the tests taken in the weekend. The first group still presents lower numbers today for processing tests taken on Mother's day.

Russia seems to have reached a test plateau again, yet Spain, Belgium and Sweden are up week over week (weekly increase of 150%, 115% and 117%) Spain and Belgium might be temporary outliers, Sweden had a more steady increase but is currently heading back to decrease.

Nanavut turns out to still be spared the virus. The one case reported there turned out to be a false positive. They still live with social distancing measures despite there being no cases there.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/what-life-is-like-in-nunavut-the-only-coronavirus-free-place-in-canada-1.4934244

“All of our schools are closed, including daycares. The stores are open, but they have put in some measures of two-metre distancing at the tills and that includes splashguards for their employees,” Bell said in an interview with CTV News’ Your Morning on Monday.

Another key measure Bell cited was the travel ban put in place on March 24 that only permits residents and essential workers to enter the territory. Anyone approved to travel into Nunavut must undergo a mandatory 14-day isolation period beforehand in either Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton or Yellowknife.

The fact that most of Nunavut’s 25 communities are geographically isolated and are only accessible by plane or boat may help explain why the territory still hasn’t recorded a single case of COVID-19.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, yeah.

They had the facilities, the know-how, the tech and the personnel - and both have leaders who totally squandered that lead so much that the result is somewhere at the bottom of the chart now

I wonder if that report had any doing in making those leaders overconfident. Complacency is the enemy of success.