By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Brazil is now at over 85k confirmed cases overtaking China. That means China is not longer in the top ten by confirmed cases.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
Barozi said:
UK finally catching up to other countries in amount of tests conducted on a daily basis.

Testing is not so important, same with confirmed cases, if you do more tests you get more confirmed cases.

Look at Japan they have done great job of holding the virus back without doing many tests at all.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/hokkaido-hit-by-second-wave-of-coronavirus-after-ending-lockdown-early/

Yes we can look at Japan and realize we will have to shut down again.

Eagerly awaiting Spoke's daily update. I can definitely see spikes in the numbers from Brazil, Russia, and India.

Barozi said:
SvennoJ said:

Is that for the entire UK? I thought we were slow on testing :/ This is the current total for Ontario (population 14.6 million)

277,522 total tests (11,859 pending)
16,187 confirmed, 1,082 deceased.

Since Ontario has 22% of the population of the UK, would compare to 1,258,288 total tests for 66.7 million.

Well yeah they conducted between 15k and 25k tests a day for weeks which was terribly low. I think it was 50k yesterday and 80k today so they made a huge jump. The UK also targets 100k tests a day so if they can reach that they will be one of the top performing countries in that regard. However, it would still take some time to catch up to in total numbers.

To put it in perspective, the UK was at 820k total tests yesterday and with 82k tests a day they can double the totals in only 10 days.

At the start of the crisis the UK was actually testing more than nearly every other country in Europe bar Italy who already had an outbreak in the North. That all stopped when the lockdown started even though we had the capacity to ramp up.

I never understood the reasoning to stop mass testing to track and allocate resources appropriately. We obviously have the capacity. In the small lab I used to work in we could churn out thousands of PCR tests in a single day.

The US can always make me laugh

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/what-a-socially-distanced-disney-world-will-look-like-when-it-reopens/

A regional task force has laid out guidelines for the world-famous, family-friendly Orlando resort to eventually open for business after shutting down last month due to COVID-19, announcing the park would only run at 50 percent capacity with strict social distancing rules, ABC-TV reported.

The restrictions will make Main Street USA a lot less crowded and keep Mickey and friends at arm’s length from kids.

Park workers will have to wear face masks and have their temperature taken, and guests in the park’s long queues will have to stand six feet apart, according to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force, a 44-member board appointed to plan the county’s eventual return to normalcy.

What a wonderful time it will be. 50% capacity while standing 6 feet apart, better make those queues a lot longer lol. Sit 6 feet apart in attractions as well? Don't touch any railings! Is it April 1st again?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Eagerly awaiting Spoke's daily update. I can definitely see spikes in the numbers from Brazil, Russia, and India.

Final numbers usually come around 9 PM EST but I often check a few times hours before just to get an idea what to expect and those 3 got hit hard today. There are a few others that have spiked too.

You da' man Spoke.  You da' man !!

Mandalore76 said:
vivster said:

You know what his point is. And in this case it doesn't really matter since there was no event in US history that caused so many deaths in such a short amount of time except for a gigantic civil war. It's notable that this event eclipses the deaths of multiple wars combined. And if you think about it, it's crazy that it can be compared to any war at all, aka the most deadly human made events in history.

You realize that influenza alone killed about 60,000 people in the US last year (more than the Vietnam War)?  So no it's not hard to compare a single virus death toll to an entire manmade conflict.

Influenza also typically infects a larger percentage of the population than what the Corona virus has thus far done... We even name entire seasons the "Flu Season" because it's a fact of seasonal life.

But... The other issue with the Flu is that... If people got vaccinated, people wouldn't die, there is a viable, proven, preventative... Obviously you will get some nutters who think that getting a Flu jab will give them Autism though.

Today marks the 9th day without any new confirmed Corona cases, more social restrictions are being removed in shopping centers and so forth.

Politicians are claiming that this is one of the safest places in the world to get away from Corona, take that as you will, they're career politicians.

There aren't many fears of a "second wave" even from medical experts as we remove restrictions because spreads would come from interstate or overseas rather than localized transmission, so I doubt we will see a similar situation here as we are now seeing in Japan. - We could fuck up big time or not, lessons will be learned either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

No kidding around, but I would like to take this time and extend a heartfelt thank you to SpokenTruth for providing us his charts on a daily basis.

Thank you Spoke.

SpokenTruth said:

Much appreciated. And let's give props to SvennoJ too.  Between our charts, we've got the historical trends covered.

Also, if anybody has suggestions on data to add/remove, changes in table structure, scope, etc....let me know.

Thanks, your charts are always very quick :) Easy to check numbers on.

I'll post my cyclic growth graph one more time before retiring it. The weekend mid-week trend isn't changing, human habits don't change for anything.

This shows how a 5 day average growth factor changes over time. How much it changes (amplitude) depends on the country yet as a whole Europe dances up and down the same. As a rate of change graph it isn't all that clear, plotting the 7 day average should yield a mostly smooth line, which is of course why that's used on all the news sites. Yet with this you can sort of predict how much too many (catching up) a country reports mid week and how much they miss in the weekend.

Overall it's sinking below the 1.0x line, meaning daily reported cases are declining. What isn't clear from this is that the USA is now on average outpacing Europe, the gap in creased to 4800 cases today, 26.0K added to Europe vs 30.8K added to the USA. USA is still 278K (10.75 days) behind Europe in total cases. Can't say one way or another if the USA can still pass Europe.

I'm starting to get my hopes up Canada has actually peaked. The bounce back from the weekend was much lower than last week, one more day to be sure. Ontario is also down a bit. It will be the flattest peak yet for a single country :/ 3 new cases in my own county, days since no local cases, back to zero.

SpokenTruth said:

Lots of body bags ordered..

This is not really a sign of incoming Armageddon.

I'm pretty sure every US agency has used up the body bags they had (they probably dind't have enough right from the start).

So this is in one part restocking empty storerooms/filling up more geographically diverse new storerooms and in one part preparing for more covid deaths.