By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Tests in recovered patients in S. Korea found false positives, not reinfections, experts say

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1266758/tests-in-recovered-patients-in-s-korea-found-false-positives-not-reinfections-experts-say

"As of Tuesday, 277 people in South Korea tested positive for the virus for a second time after being diagnosed as recovered. Health authorities have tested some of their samples, but none so far have been successfully cultivated in isolation, indicating a loss of infectiousness. (AP) PMS PMS"

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Us Death toll at the moment is around 61k.

With around 850k active cases, it seems that the death toll will be around the initial estimates (100-200k) or even more than the 2nd estimate of 60-100k.

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 30 April 2020

I can't see the US going less than 150k Corana deaths by the end of the year with at least 50k more indirect deaths due to corana.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Rab said:

This crisis affects the healthcare system, Nurses, Doctors and other medical personnel have had their incomes slashed, this is particularly true in the US system as there is no M4A

Coronavirus: Why so many US nurses are out of work

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52476128

"At a time when medical professionals are putting their lives at risk, tens of thousands of doctors in the United States are taking large pay cuts."

"Dr Parks says she has been considering filing for unemployment benefits to try to help make student loan repayments."

"Dr Jenab is a physician in emergency medicine in Denver, Colorado. To her, the problem has become clear.

"One of the biggest issues in US medicine today is that it has become a business. In the past, that was not the case," says Dr Jenab.

"They tend to run very lean with these hospitals, with these large corporate medical groups because honestly they are much more concerned about profit than their patients," she says, clearly impassioned.

Dr Jenab says she feels the abrupt loss of income suffered by medical staff is just one systemic problem in US private healthcare that has been thrown into sharp relief by the coronavirus crisis."

Cutting the wages of the board members by 10% instead would probably have saved just as much money without endangering the lives of countless persons due to lack of nurses. But since the US healthcare preaches to the dollar god instead of caring for the sick (or even just their employees), they rather cut down on medical professionals during a medical crisis.

Seriously, they should be charged with manslaughter for omission and gross negligence of their Duty to Rescue.

vivster said:
I can't see the US going less than 150k Corana deaths by the end of the year with at least 50k more indirect deaths due to corana.

Well, if you just look at your earlier post:

vivster said:
Florida ordered coroners to stop releasing coronavirus death data: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/495295-florida-ordered-coroners-to-stop-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-report

Now, if more states start to follow Florida's example, then the virus could be eradicated within days - well, the stats thereof at least.

Around the Network

Wouldn't surprise me if Texas or some other states use this tactic since the beginning.

SvennoJ said:

Corners of the world graph

Canada might have peaked now, it's pretty flat, stretching it out :/
Turkey is coming down already, however their reported deaths is so regular I'm questioning their reporting.
Australia, South Korea and China (for what we know) are doing really well.
Japan is doing well, going back down, Iran still on its slow also very regular glide down and Brazil is catching up on testing while the reported deaths are already in the four hundreds daily. Total opposite of Australia.

Well, Turkey was pretty much the last big country which even started to report about the first death, had one of the highest growth factors of all countries just weeks ago and is now recovering faster than most with an almost identical decrease in deaths every day.

Turkey also controls all the social media activities and hundreds of people got punished already for posting negative stuff 

Who wouldn't question these numbers?

I have to say that Turkey does try a lot to fight the virus, though.

They are just way too dependent of tourism and their currency not going too much downhill to be honest about everything.

Phoenix20 said:
How can President Donald Trump spin his way out of this crisis and win the next Presidential election? 60,000+ deaths is not good for his re-election.

I think that sadly the drop in GDP of almost 5% will have a bigger effect on this than any death count from the virus

crissindahouse said:
Wouldn't surprise me if Texas or some other states use this tactic since the beginning.

Well, Worldometer is taking numbers from each state, and Texas lies at 27k cases. However, it's also one with the lower percentage of people tested, with only 10k per million, or just 1%. Only Kansas, Arizona and Virginia did worse in that remark, and just barely. By comparison, New York tested 4.4% while Rhode Island even 5.6% of their population.

drkohler said:
Mandalore76 said:

The majority of Vietnam casualties occurred from 1965-1971, but I guess "20 years" is a much sexier number to cherry pick when nonsensically comparing armed conflict to a pandemic.

Ever heard of the Korean war?

Yeah, I've heard of the Hundred Years War too, what's your point?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, Worldometer is taking numbers from each state, and Texas lies at 27k cases. However, it's also one with the lower percentage of people tested, with only 10k per million, or just 1%. Only Kansas, Arizona and Virginia did worse in that remark, and just barely. By comparison, New York tested 4.4% while Rhode Island even 5.6% of their population.

I think we shouldn't directly translate nr of tests into percentage of tested population, as I'm certain a good nr of people are tested twice or more, like hospitalized patients, essential/medical workers etc.