By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John, I'm gonna start calling you: Doom & Gloom John.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
Mnementh said:

Is claiming Wuhan has herd immunity based on ... belief(?) now evidence based medicine? Seems not very evidence based at all.

Also, the spanish flu was one of the deadliest pandemics of all time, a death rate similar to that would be devastating.

Well I found some example what evidence based medicine means, here's some quotes from Johan Giesecke (our previous virus dude) about face masks and lockdowns:

"A few European countries have introduced requirements to wear face protection in public places to reduce the spread of the corona virus.

There is no scientific basis whatsoever for it to help, says infection protection expert Johan Giesecke.

TT: But if there is no evidence that it helps, why do countries encourage entire populations to wear face protection?

Every country in Europe is currently taking a lot of measures for which there is no scientific basis whatsoever. No wonder they come up with something else."

"Professor Johan Giesecke, blasted the sort of lockdowns imposed in Britain and Australia and warned a second wave would be inevitable once the measures are eased.

The Swedish government decided early in January that the measures we should take against the pandemic should be evidence based. And when you start looking around at the measures being taken by different countries, you find very few of them have a shred of evidence-base, he said.

Sweden is one of the few countries to do so in this way. The others are wrong. We take into account the scientific evidence. Norway and Denmark have a more political leadership that will show strength and implement measures, says Johan Giesecke."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsd.se%2Fnyheter%2Fmasktvang-minskar-inte-risken-for-smitta-nm5332525.aspx

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121180716/swedens-covid19-plan-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-or-a-bold-evidencebased-response

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dagbladet.no%2Fnyheter%2Fsverige-gjor-riktig-alle-andre-gjor-feil%2F72296080

So based on what Johan giesecke is saying, face masks don't work (The public in sweden has not been recommended to use face masks), lockdowns don't work as they will face a second wave when they start easing up restrictions and blasted the political leaders in Denmark and Norway for wanting to show strength. We shall see in a year who is right (he has said we should w8 1 year before comparing results).

"The others are wrong."

Well...that's settles it then!

Johan Giesecke is a fucking clown.

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

4/20 White House Press Briefing excerpts:

Q The second question I had was about your language and how you approached the coronavirus at the beginning. I interviewed someone who said that his family got sick. They went to a funeral in mid-March, and they said mainly because the President wasn’t taking it seriously. He said, “If the President had had a mask on, if he was saying we should stay home, then I would have stayed home. Instead I had family members…”

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I know. I understand.

Q I just want to — and he said his family members were sick because they were — they were listening to you. Do you feel like or are you concerned that downplaying the virus maybe —

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

Q — got some people sick?

THE PRESIDENT: And a lot of people love Trump, right? A lot of people love me. You see them all the time, right? I guess I’m here for a reason, you know? To the best of my knowledge, I won. And I think we’re going to win again. I think we’re going to win in a landslide.

I will begin to periodically post excerpts from his daily campaign rallies, er....I mean White House briefings as they relate to the pandemic.

Oh for the love of...

Why would you support such obvious yellow journalism?  If someone died in mid-March that means that the person would have caught the virus long before the CDC advised social distancing and during a time when it literally advised the public not to wear masks.  We know from Dr. Fauci himself that when he went to the president to tell him the country needed to institute social distancing, he did it immediately.

This is literally just a reporter trying to form a narrative and it doesn't even make sense.  Heck, it's pretty much the same wording as that crazy fish tank cleaner story all over again.  You are smarter than this, but you willingly fall for it because it fits your view.

Do better dude.

Can you read? They did not die mid-March, they went to a funeral mid-March where they think they got infected.

I interviewed someone who said that his family got sick. They went to a funeral in mid-March, and they said mainly because the President wasn’t taking it seriously. He said, “If the President had had a mask on, if he was saying we should stay home, then I would have stayed home. Instead I had family members…

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

Read better dude.  They didn't say the person died of coronavirus.  They said they attended a funeral and didn't stay home and others got sick from it.

Also, the WHO recommended social distancing on Jan 27th.
CDC started publicly discussing social distancing on Feb 25th.
CDC Started advising social distancing on March 3rd.
CDC started recommending stay at home on March 6th.

Now that you've been proven wrong on the story and the timeline, do you have an word to say about Trump's weird ego derived answer?

Very well, I made an error in reading the story.  The yellow journalism remains.  You are also going to have to source your stuff because I have the 1/30 statement from the WHO and it is still only talking about China doing more than standard surveillance and containment.  You'll have to show me the CDC advisements for me to make any comment on them.  Additionally, by mid-March the White House was on board and issued its first 15 Days to Slow the Spread advisement, and I noticed you skipped over that masks were being advised against at the time, so we're still in the land of this story is bunk.

Do better.

As for Trump not answering a gotcha question he's been asked a thousand times in order to form a narrative by reporters that are shilling for Democrats?  If they want to take the time to run an ad for Biden, then Trump is welcome to rejoin by saying vote for Trump.

I think the issue with Trump's answers is that he sounds like a gibbering idiot more so than he thinks the question is unfair and doesn't want to answer. If rambling like a buffoon without any rhyme or reason to his cadence is a defense mechanism against unfair questions than he is setting his bar way too low for what he considers an unfair question. 

JRPGfan said:

This sounds stupid to me.
That bill to help bailout small bussiness was mainly taken by "big corps" that had huge profits and tons of money set aside.
Again screwing over the small guy, it was ment to protect.

Why does america hate the avg joe?
Why does it only bailout the rich & powerfull?

Because of the conservative powerbases that prefer their trickle-down-economics.

Basically the hope is that, by giving money to the Rich they will initiate new business that will employ people and some of that money will then trickle-down into lower socio-economic classes.
The reality is... It just sits in a bank somewhere and does nothing except incur interest.

Even the "left wing" democrats are a few steps over to the right compared to a chunk of the world like Europe and Oceania, it's a no-win situation really.

Trumpstyle said:

"A few European countries have introduced requirements to wear face protection in public places to reduce the spread of the corona virus.

There is no scientific basis whatsoever for it to help, says infection protection expert Johan Giesecke.

TT: But if there is no evidence that it helps, why do countries encourage entire populations to wear face protection?

Every country in Europe is currently taking a lot of measures for which there is no scientific basis whatsoever. No wonder they come up with something else."

"Professor Johan Giesecke, blasted the sort of lockdowns imposed in Britain and Australia and warned a second wave would be inevitable once the measures are eased.

The Swedish government decided early in January that the measures we should take against the pandemic should be evidence based. And when you start looking around at the measures being taken by different countries, you find very few of them have a shred of evidence-base, he said.

Sweden is one of the few countries to do so in this way. The others are wrong. We take into account the scientific evidence. Norway and Denmark have a more political leadership that will show strength and implement measures, says Johan Giesecke."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsd.se%2Fnyheter%2Fmasktvang-minskar-inte-risken-for-smitta-nm5332525.aspx

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121180716/swedens-covid19-plan-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-or-a-bold-evidencebased-response

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dagbladet.no%2Fnyheter%2Fsverige-gjor-riktig-alle-andre-gjor-feil%2F72296080

So based on what Johan giesecke is saying, face masks don't work (The public in sweden has not been recommended to use face masks), lockdowns don't work as they will face a second wave when they start easing up restrictions and blasted the political leaders in Denmark and Norway for wanting to show strength. We shall see in a year who is right (he has said we should w8 1 year before comparing results).

I don't disagree that the measures should be evidence-based.

But to ridicule the lockdown measures in Australia is pretty laughable, the evidence is that it's worked... We prefer our situation over the USA's which has resulted in so much death and extended financial pain.

As for the PPE issue... We brought these "rules" into effect at a time when we didn't really have an empirical understanding of how COVID-19 spreads...
My rescue agency for example were required to get naked in public/truck and bag our PBI-Golds for decom/professional cleaning, wear P2 masks, gloves... And sometimes even a gas-tight Hazmat suit depending on the job... Spray Glen20 on everything. - Was all that unnecessary? Probably.

But better safe than sorry.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

Read better dude.  They didn't say the person died of coronavirus.  They said they attended a funeral and didn't stay home and others got sick from it.

Also, the WHO recommended social distancing on Jan 27th.
CDC started publicly discussing social distancing on Feb 25th.
CDC Started advising social distancing on March 3rd.
CDC started recommending stay at home on March 6th.

Now that you've been proven wrong on the story and the timeline, do you have an word to say about Trump's weird ego derived answer?

Very well, I made an error in reading the story.  The yellow journalism remains.  You are also going to have to source your stuff because I have the 1/30 statement from the WHO and it is still only talking about China doing more than standard surveillance and containment.  You'll have to show me the CDC advisements for me to make any comment on them.  Additionally, by mid-March the White House was on board and issued its first 15 Days to Slow the Spread advisement, and I noticed you skipped over that masks were being advised against at the time, so we're still in the land of this story is bunk.

Do better.

As for Trump not answering a gotcha question he's been asked a thousand times in order to form a narrative by reporters that are shilling for Democrats?  If they want to take the time to run an ad for Biden, then Trump is welcome to rejoin by saying vote for Trump.

Maybe Trump will do another 'lessons learned' reflection video. Hopefully the MSM coverage doesn't get cut again...

Trump's Law strikes again:

https://youtu.be/iOn4b1x7Nak

Vegas Mayor Stuns Anderson With Wild Disregard For Life.. this is so bizarre that people like this get elected, the system is truly broken    

NightlyPoe said:
TallSilhouette said:

Trump's Law strikes again:

https://youtu.be/iOn4b1x7Nak

Aaaaand... We have a bunch of posts with Trump complaining that Obama didn't initiate travel bans from the infected areas.

As president, Trump initiated travel bans from the infected areas.

Searching for hypocrisy...  None found.  But sure, you guys pretend its there anyway.  Sheesh.

...Did you even watch the video you're replying to? Trump tweeted, "All the governors are already backing off of the Ebola quarantines. Bad decision that will lead to more mayhem." about a virus that killed all of two people in the states. Fast forward to the present and he's calling for states to lift quarantine measures for a virus we're not even close to containing yet that has killed thousands. Are you seriously unable to see the hypocrisy there?...

NightlyPoe said:

Searching for hypocrisy...  None found.  But sure, you guys pretend its there anyway.  Sheesh.

I'm a little puzzled about you.

Are you a) Donald Trump himself

b) a staff member of Trumps reelection team?

Because just parsing all your posts, I can only see another possibility c) (which written down would probably get me insta-banned)