By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Just read yesterday's report of Germany's Robert Koch Institute. They mentioned an increasing number of infections especially in nursing homes.

I guess that's a reason why we see higher death counts in Germany now.

Around the Network

If Germany doesn't go significantly down today I think that's it for lowering restrictions after Easter. Also, I expect giant spikes around next Friday and Saturday because going out on Easter is more important than a global pandemic.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Europe has peaked in general, it had the smallest Wednesday uptick in cases so far while that's usually the peak day until it comes down again to dip for the weekend.

Corrections in fatality rates in France and Belgium and for testing in France skew their relative numbers. Germany also has an uptick in reported deaths now nursing homes are starting to get hit :/ Sweden is starting to see the cost of not following along with strict measures while Turkey quickly came up from behind. Late to start testing, but falling into the general wave for Europe. Norway reported -44 cases for yesterday, so I didn't update them for daily growth...

The waves in reporting numbers keeps skewing the data.

We just reached the peak again and the numbers for the weekend will be slightly under reported again. Yet it's clear that week over week growth rates are going down, with also the USA now starting to go under the 1.0 line, meaning also reaching the peak. Of course other parts of the country can be behind just like Turkey is currently coming up from behind in Europe.

Europe has the wobbles from France and Belgium correcting (adding old) numbers but the fatality rate is pretty much flat for nearly a week while the growth has been flat for nearly 2 weeks. The fatailty rate is still climbing in the US, however the growth rate has been stabilizing already for the past 4 days.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 April 2020

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:
Is there stats that show how many tests done in the US. I'm curious to know if were at the peak or if were just capped by the number of tests.

New York, might have "peaked" or is just at it. Something like 18,000 hospitalised (at once), and 4700 in ICU beds (in use). A far cry from the 110,000 hospitalised, and 30,000 ventilators, they where predicting as a worst case situation. Also alot of people, that are just "borderline" needing to be hospitalised, but they get a "air tank" and are being sent home. (again this points to maybe things arnt as serious, as they expected them to be)

Maybe that's the case but this week we've started using trade showcenters and public parks as hospital space and areas to store the dead.

Home schooling is not going well. My kids are in grade 3 and 5, they get daily assignments now. However that usually consists of badly compressed small pictures of text book pages, reading and math programs that always give trouble logging in, not working on certain browsers or randomly dumping you out again, and work projects that require materials we don't have. We can't exactly run out to the shops to buy a load of crafting materials.

Today grade 5 attempted an hour of virtual classroom. It's supposed to handle up to 50 connections, yet only 4 to 6 kids could see each other in random combinations. This is such a bad time to try out all these new online things, so far it's only causing more stress. The mood on the 'mom network' is pretty dour. The teachers are trying but don't have much experience with online things, still figuring out how to send pictures...

For example this is from our grade 3 teacher today

I hope everyone is well and keeping busy. Please let me know how you are doing with the activities I have sent. Thank you to the families that have sent me pictures of their child's completed work. It seems like everyone is having success at counting money so far. Let me know if the amount of work is ok, or if your family is struggling to fit it in. Everyone's schedule will be different. I understand. Just do your best to cover the topics I send along. If you are unsure how to send pictures, I have found that if I take a picture with my phone, go to photos, click the box with the arrow pointing up in the bottom left corner of the screen, select the photos I want to include, then hit my email symbol, I can email the pictures to my self, then forward them to me , the teacher. Hope this helps if anyone was struggling with that, or if anyone has a quicker suggestion, I am all ears.

And then a docx file with a page of things to do for the day. (Reading, Money math and painting an Easter bunny for today)
Of course the most important part of grade school is learning interaction, sharing and working together. That is totally ignored for now :/

Around the Network
Peh said:

Trump playing the blame game right now. Pointing his finger now at WHO and Sweden.

He forgot that he was the one yelling to everyone that Covid-19 was fake news fabricated by the dems.

Our virus dude did actually respond to Trumps criticism that we are suffering here in Sweden and going for something called Herb immunity.

He responded by saying people of new york is suffering more than Sweden and this Covid virus won't end intill there's a Vaccin or herb immunity is built. The media has speculated that we are going for the immunity despite it's not our government official tactic.

If any swede wanna watch (01:38:20)

https://www.svtplay.se/video/24909870/morgonstudion/morgonstudion-8-apr-06-00-1?start=auto

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Can you imagine the numbers if there wasnt any lockdowns or restriction around the world... the infected and death numbers whouls b in the millions.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I noticed WorldInfoMeter has added tabs for different regions. Turkey is part of Asia according to them, yet according to Germany it's part of Europe. I'll keep following the Berliner Morgenpost for the European numbers, and keep USA the way it is. However together with Canada, Mexico, Panama, Dominican Republic et al, North America just passed the half million reported cases.

The financial times removed the extra deaths from France April 9: All maps and charts now exclude nursing home deaths from France’s totals to maintain cross-national comparability. Somehow that feels so wrong... Ignoring those that suffer the worst from this. Poor Turkey doesn't belong to Europe either according to the Financial times.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 April 2020

Financial times removing some deaths in France is straight up misleading for people that want the most accurate reports.