By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Is there a issue with worldometers.info again? its showing +47,509 new cases for the US? no way its that high right?

*edit: Yep they just lowered it to +25,134.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 April 2020

Around the Network

Eurozone fails to agree deal on €540bn coronavirus rescue plan

Talks on a coronavirus economic rescue plan for the eurozone worth up to €540bn (£476bn) have broken up without a deal amid north-south divisions over the strings to attach to financial aid for the most-stricken countries.

The coronavirus pandemic is testing EU unity, especially the inner circle of 19 countries that use the single currency, where there are stark differences over the question of shared debt. A dispute between the Netherlands and Italy, the two countries at opposite poles of the EU’s debt divide, thwarted an agreement on a package of loans that could be worth up to €540bn.

The ESM has €410bn of unused lending capacity, which would allow the hardest-hit countries, such as Spain and Italy, to draw on emergency credit lines. About €240bn of this could be made available.Under EU law, any country that takes a loan from the ESM must sign up to terms and conditions but countries are split over what they should be.Italy had wanted a reference to common debt issuance, to make using the EU bailout fund more politically palatable. The Netherlands held out for “growth-infusing” conditions attached to any credit lines from the bailout fund. The Dutch wanted to ensure that ESM credit lines were linked to measures to boost growth and balance budgets once the crisis was over.While there is agreement not to send in EU inspectors to monitor loans, southern European countries, such as Italy and Spain, have complained of being stigmatised for a crisis not of their making.

As countries look to their next move, France revealed it has not ruled out shared debt issuance with a smaller coalition of willing eurozone countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/08/eurozone-fails-to-agree-on-540bn-coronavirus-rescue-plan

A "smaller coalition"? how small are we talking here?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

France has tested a higher share of their inhabitants than Spain by now iirc. Hence the jumps in cases and deaths in the country.

Is there a site where you can see how many got tested in the US?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Luxembourg has passed the 3000 infected mark with 3034 out of over 26.500, or 4.3% of the population tested. 231 persons are hospitalized, 34 of them in intensive care.

https://msan.gouvernement.lu/en/dossiers/2020/corona-virus.html

I hear Luxembourg is a very rich country.
This is very surprising.

Luxembourg is one of the richest countries per capita, actually the richest one depending on whom you ask. But what do you find very surprising here? 

newwil7l said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

France has tested a higher share of their inhabitants than Spain by now iirc. Hence the jumps in cases and deaths in the country.

Is there a site where you can see how many got tested in the US?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Luxembourg has passed the 3000 infected mark with 3034 out of over 26.500, or 4.3% of the population tested. 231 persons are hospitalized, 34 of them in intensive care.

https://msan.gouvernement.lu/en/dossiers/2020/corona-virus.html

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Shows the total cases for all countries except China for obvious reasons. You can also arrange the list by testing per capita, cases per capita, etc.

Lafiel said:
newwil7l said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Shows the total cases for all countries except China for obvious reasons. You can also arrange the list by testing per capita, cases per capita, etc.

I think it's unfortunate they don't indicate that the testing numbers are out of date for many listed countries - it's updated daily for the US, but has been frozen for days (probably due to a lack of official announcements) for the majority of the others.

edit: wikipedia does have a testing list with an "as of" column https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing

Thanks you two for your links.

So, the US are quite high... but Spain's numbers are over 2 weeks old and the ones from France are a week old by now, so before the country started really mass-testing. I hope they provide updated numbers soon.

However, it's nice to see how the US is ramping up testing pretty fast. By comparison I was shocked to see that the Philippines had made less tests than our tiny country of Luxembourg. The question is now that so many have lost their jobs, will they still be able to finance the treatments if they get tested positive? I know that the Trump administration came with a program to pay for it, but as far as I know it only covers either insured people (by paying their insurance company) or those under Medicare/Medicaid, or am I mistaken here?

JRPGfan said:

*edit:
Also you need to start somewhere, and with the kids at home, it can be hard for mom & dad to be able to go to work.
So school is opening first (partly) for them.

I think we need western transperant countries to take different approach because otherwise, we might miss the most optimal solution. It's not crazy to try different approaches and find out which one works the best:

Beyond that, “returning to some semblance of normal,” as Woodruff put it, can be predicted by watching the behaviors of other countries. Sweden, for example, isn’t “locking down quite as much,” so their experience will be informative, Gates explained.

Even though, I believe China has tried every imaginable approach at this point and reached the conclusion they need indefinite extreme measures to keep this under control. I wouldn't be surprised if they've conducted human experiemtns and are fully aware of our chances of getting re-infected by the same virus and what kind of immunity humans develop. Starting to hear more and more about the Chinese way of re-opening things on mainstream media, soon enough it will be reported as the sane way forward on a larger scale, the only difference is how compliant the western nations will be.

John2290 said:

Oh and the WHO needs to be dismantled and staff put in place who actually have the worlds safety in mind and not Chinas economy as their top priority. What they done in retrospect, reading it all again, is absolutely batshit insane in terms of the job that they are in place for, I can't believe they are getting away with it. 

"WHO Chief Warns Politicizing Coronavirus Crisis Could Lead to More 'Body Bags'"

Don't understand why this piece of shit is still making the headlines. The USA should definitely defund this turd.

Around the Network

Iran's numbers look very suspicious, way too regular for the past week. Not one other country has anywhere near the stability of these numbers.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Then this today:

1997 new cases and 121 new deaths in Iran Earlier, Iran's Ministry of Health incorrectly reported a much higher figure for the number of new cases and deaths. The Minister later acknowledged the mistake [source] [source]

Looks like BS to me. At least China put some variety in their numbers not to make it too obvious lol.

Meanwhile Rusia is on its exponential detection fast track.

Too much talk about healthcare system quality based on these results Coming from someone in south america, it would be dumb to say we have better healthcare systems than developed nations in europe even if we don't get hit as hard by this virus in the end

Bofferbrauer2 said:

However, it's nice to see how the US is ramping up testing pretty fast.

Well... There is a report on cnn how coroners can't get any test kits at all for post mortem analysis. That is one sure way to hide real numbers (France has shown how that turns out). Orangehead and his bible thumping sidekick at work is my guess.

The tested people in the Swiss column cannot be correct. Roughly 10 days ago, the table stood at 158k tested, now at roughly 175k. Around two weeks ago, it was communicated at the daily briefing that thanks to the new Roche test kits, the test size would increase from the then current 7000 daily tests.

LurkerJ said:
John2290 said:

Oh and the WHO needs to be dismantled and staff put in place who actually have the worlds safety in mind and not Chinas economy as their top priority. What they done in retrospect, reading it all again, is absolutely batshit insane in terms of the job that they are in place for, I can't believe they are getting away with it. 

"WHO Chief Warns Politicizing Coronavirus Crisis Could Lead to More 'Body Bags'"

Don't understand why this piece of shit is still making the headlines. The USA should definitely defund this turd.

Yes, the WHO Chief, Tedros Adhanom, is a fuckstick...Let him burn in hell...

drkohler said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

However, it's nice to see how the US is ramping up testing pretty fast.

Well... There is a report on cnn how coroners can't get any test kits at all for post mortem analysis. That is one sure way to hide real numbers (France has shown how that turns out). Orangehead and his bible thumping sidekick at work is my guess.

This might also simply be a lack of available tests right now. It looks like the US have hit a wall at around 30k positive tests,so it's possible that this is due to not more tests being available right now.

That said, I don't expect them to be tested later, I'm sure they'll be happier with the lower numbers...