By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

and with Iran only identifying 3 ppl with the virus after death it seems likely it has already spread quite a lot there, especially because a Canadian traveler has been diagnosed after returning from Iran .. another problem, they have legislative elections today, so millions of people should be out and about there

Around the Network

The virus most certainly has broken out in Iran and South Korea. The former likely has thousands of unaccounted cases.

Looking forward to my trip to Japan this year. Gonna be a lot fewer Chinese tourists this time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Most dangerous European center now at 550 km from me...I thought I was in a safe place in Hungary's country side.

The situation is also becoming more problematic in Italy; between today and yesterday there have been more than 80 new infected and 2 deaths near Milan and Venice. Fortunately the patient zero was found immediately...

Last edited by supermattia10 - on 23 February 2020

Around the Network

This looks like something we eventually all have to deal with.

Immersiveunreality said:

What's to deal with? You most likely won't catch it, but even if you do, you have roughly a 98% chance of being ok and a 2% chance of dying. I don't understand why such low odds produce such a high media frenzy?

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 23 February 2020

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

What's to deal with? You most likely won't catch it, but even if you do, you have roughly a 98% chance of being ok and a 2% chance of dying. I don't understand why such low odds produce such a high media frenzy?

What?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

A disease that can potentially kill 230 million people is not worthy of concern?

SvennoJ said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

What?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

A disease that can potentially kill 230 million people is not worthy of concern?

230 million people, where does that come from? That's almost 3% of all humans. That implies that no less than 100% of humans get infected. Why would that ever happen? All the diseases that EVER existed never came close to 100% of infection. The closest contestant could be the black plague that ravaged Europe centuries ago, and that one got how far? 20% of the world population? Probably less and that was at a time when there was no communication, no serious medical knowledge, no real warning or prevention, very bad hygiene that would make any infection reign supreme among humans. So from there how can you infer that this Corona-virus will hit 100% of the human population?

I think you guys are falling prey to media sensationalism. It's going to be bad, there will certainly be way more casualties than the current 2500 dead or whatever that number now is, but nothing ANYWHERE near 230 million deaths. I'll bet that there won't even be 230 million infected worldwide, let alone 8 billion. Only way for things to get as bad as you guys fear would be for this thing to mutate into some kind of super virus but I don't know if that is even possible, it's never happened before, why would it happen now?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Why does everything has to be so egocentric?

I do not wish suffering upon the weakest people in my life that i care about and that is why most are dealing with it if it hits us.