By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

GMT 0 mid-night comeing up in 4mins.

USA had +4,557 new cases today (4mins away from 24:00) hitting 13,816 infected.

SpokenTruth said:

3/18: US-Italy Chart plus other updates.

The US had 2,846 new cases.  That's 3 times what it was just 2 days ago.  9 times from 1 week ago.  We are now 2 days ahead of Italy from the alignment 6 days ago.  We have surpassed France and South Korea for total cases. The nightly gap is 159. That was our entire daily total just 9 days ago. (added 20 more just since I posted this. 179 now.).

Italy gained 4,207 new cases today. They will pass China tomorrow for the most fatal cases.

There are now 16 countries with over 1,000 cases.

When you update this again, its clear the rate at which it spreads in the USA is alot faster than it was in italy.

Around the Network

Today I was talking with my brother, who has become a far better doctor than I could, about why azithromycin appears to be an effective treatment against the Covid-19. I wondered whether the drug intended to combat secondary or opportunistic infections, but apparently that... isn't the case.

Medicine, he said as an explanation, is just mysterious sometimes.

John2290 said:
What the is India going to do? It's going to decimate them...

lmao I cant help but think about the fact that they often dont have toliets (in homes) so its common to use public ones.
Also multiple generations liveing in same house, and food eaten with fingers, out of a bowl together.

They have some factors that make you think, spread there would be worse than most other places if it happends.
Atleast amoung the poor.  Also I have this idea of india as crowded streets,... theres alot of people liveing in cramped spaces.

Part of me thinks this is just me being semi uninformed or ignorant though, maybe I just have a warped perception of india.

Cornavirus update (live) site is only listing 194 confirmed cases of covid-19 spread there.
So its barely begone to spread there, or theres huge dark numbers (because they dont test for it).

haxxiy said:

Today I was talking with my brother, who has become a far better doctor than I could, about why azithromycin appears to be an effective treatment against the Covid-19. I wondered whether the drug intended to combat secondary or opportunistic infections, but apparently that... isn't the case.

Medicine, he said as an explanation, is just mysterious sometimes.

Its a medicine ment to treat lunge/airway infections right? (after a quick google search)
(it also helps with infections in skin/connective tissues, and some STDs ect)

Covid-19 hits the lunges hard, so it makes sense I guess? Im not a doctor :P

*edit:

Didnt the french say they found out that  "hydroxychloroquine" worked? (som old malaria drug)?
And there was one of those HIV medicines too?

again like you said "medicine", sometimes its not clear why it works... but if it does, all the better :)

"The treated group was given 600 mg of Plaquenil each day.

The researchers found that 50 percent of the treated group turned from positive to negative for the virus by the third day — and by day six, that figure was up to 70 percent.

Of the 20 test patients, six who were treated with both Plaquenil and the antibiotic azithromycin showed impressive results — with five testing negative at day three. All six of them tested negative at day six."  - nypost.com

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-may-help-cure-coronavirus-study/

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 March 2020

jason1637 said:

9% plus the 3.5% February unemployment rate bring us to 12.5% unemployment. During the 2008 recession the peak was 10.2%.

Thats nuts too.

In denmark, we pushed our tax collection back like half a year, and promised bussiness's to pay for 75% of the workers pay's up to a certain amount.
So even though its also cost some jobs, its a far cry from being as dramatic as that number (or %).

I think I read it was like 14,000 jobs? so far or something (we re a small country of only 6.7m ppl so... yeah)
But still, factor that up (by population differnces) and its still a tiny fraction of what happend in the US.

And I think denmark is ahead in how long this quarantine stuff has been going on.
Seems in the US the employer is much quicker to fire people.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Angelus said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/trumps-chinese-virus-tweet/608263/

Recommended reading ^

Is the author so caught up in their own self-righteous bullshit as to not realize people can chew gum and walk at the same time? 

We can equally express our indignation at Trump's political school yard psychology and our frustration at the administrative failures to adequately handle the crisis early on.  It's not an either or game.  You can be mad at the tweet but not simultaneously be mad at their inaction?  Or, if you're going to be mad, be mad at the inaction only?  Bump that.  Hold him accountable for every issue he's accountable for.  Letting him slide on the smaller stuff just gives him the free pass to keep doing it.

And having the audacity to call it a gullibility test is truly an insult to the intelligence of those raising ire on both issues. Wood is a better journalist than this.

You should consider that assertion more carefully. Keep in mind, the inane question question "Do you consider the phrase Chinese food racist?" was asked at press conference today. Time and attention are scarce resources, and the media especially has often shown their inability to properly manage both. Considering how many average people take their ques from whatever they heard last, this presents a lot of cases where we do actually lose sight of the most pressing issues.

trunkswd said:
John2290 said:

Maybe China will do the right thing and step in and help since they apparently have everything all rosey, spik and span. 

Maybe? I'd hope so. I've got no idea the type of relationship the two countries have with each other. 

They have a few minor border disputes but i hope in these times they put those aside

I'm very worried that next week the situation in NYC and the surrounding areas will get really bad. The temperature tomorrow will be 79 but its been in the 40-50s all week. Since we dont have a mandatory stay at home policy like other American cities I think lors of people are gonna be out.

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:
I'm very worried that next week the situation in NYC and the surrounding areas will get really bad. The temperature tomorrow will be 79 but its been in the 40-50s all week. Since we dont have a mandatory stay at home policy like other American cities I think lors of people are gonna be out.

Temps don't mean much.  It's been in the 80's and 90s in Florida and we're getting worse too.

It's summer in the southern hemisphere right now and they all got hit pretty hard today. 

I mean since it will be warmer a lot more people will leave their homes. The colder weather probably has helped keep people in.

STOP HOARDING STUFF, JESUS!!!

The vastly overburdened resident grocery store clerk is here to remind you of how selfish you (anyone who is doing so) are being by hoarding food, water, cleaning supplies, etc. Understand that when you buy us out by purchasing a six-month supply of this or that, you're denying people in obviously greater need than yourself access to a one-week supply of that same product. You're also forcing the producers of those goods to raise the prices thereof to try and get demand close to in-check, thus hurting poorer people in particular. You're also needlessly burdening people like me by adding to a mostly needless run on increasingly everything. Also also, you're not mostly buying healthy food, I've noticed. It's the sweets and the meat products and the chips that have vanished a lot faster than say the produce, for example, so it's not like you're actually buying mainly based on survival need.

You don't need a six-month supply of bread and water or a two-year supply of toilet paper and certainly not a ten-month supply of pies, cakes, Twinkies, and chips, so please think of someone besides just yourself and buy in reasonable quantities.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 20 March 2020