By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:

16 days ago, it was "only" around 200 cases in the US.

Go back to mid-feb and Trump was saying "its only 15 people, and a week from now, that number will be gone"

Now its 10,767 infected.

And even now I still have online friends and family that call it completely overblown.

It concerns me that people I know will be responsible for the deaths of who knows how many people purely because of their indifference, ego, Trumpism, Libertarianism, religion, etc...

Seems a little lopsided "Trumpism, Libertarianism, religion," I would guess all the college kids on spring break getting ready to take the virus home with them fall right into 1 or more of those categories.... you told others to leave politics mostly out of this but you can't ....

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

Now he's doing it on purpose.  Complete willful intent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/photo-trump-remarks-shows-corona-crossed-out-replaced-chinese-virus-n1164111

Has anyone fact checked that to see if it is real?  Any idea which speech it is from, we could probably find it easily enough on youtube and there is enough of the page you can read easily enough besides the stands out really well Chinese.

SpokenTruth said:

The_Yoda said:

Seems a little lopsided "Trumpism, Libertarianism, religion," I would guess all the college kids on spring break getting ready to take the virus home with them fall right into 1 or more of those categories.... you told others to leave politics mostly out of this but you can't ....

That's not politics.  That's an observation of reasons I've been given for why they don't heed caution. You did notice I said, "people I know" right?  Or did you assume I was talking about those college kids at the beach because...that where your mind when based on those categories?  If someone tells me they aren't going to abide by X because of Y, saying Y isn't being political.  Being political is utilizing a given issue for the persuasion of an agenda typically at the detriment of an opposing agenda.

I did catch the part where you said "people I know" so you are now telling me that the people you know are saying "I'm _____ so I'm not worried about who i come into contact with" insert: egotistical, indifferent , a trump supporter, libertarian, or religious into the blank.  Did I get that right?  Sorry it seemed to me to you were taking a jab at broader groups.

SpokenTruth said:
The_Yoda said:

Has anyone fact checked that to see if it is real?  Any idea which speech it is from, we could probably find it easily enough on youtube and there is enough of the page you can read easily enough besides the stands out really well Chinese.

Fact checked?  There is a frikkin link to it. 

Missed the link, my bad.  The angle on the sheet looked like the person taking it would have to have been standing next to Pence with how flat the angle it is. Seemed iffy to me at a glance.

What a senseless jab to take in my opinion.  China has at least been helping countries out.  Jack Ma (I know he doesn't represent the Chinese government) Has been showing particular class. 

Edit, I should have proof read.

Edit 2 Found this:

Trump did call COVID-19 the “Chinese virus” in his March 19 remarks, although perhaps ironically, he referred to it simply as “the virus” in the place where “Corona” had been scratched out and replaced in handwriting by “Chinese” in his notes. As shown in the video below, he actually said at that point: “As you know, my administration is working every day to protect the American people and the American economy from the virus […]”:

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 19 March 2020

SpokenTruth said:
The_Yoda said:

I did catch the part where you said "people I know" so you are now telling me that the people you know are saying "I'm _____ so I'm not worried about who i come into contact with" insert: egotistical, indifferent , a trump supporter, libertarian, or religious into the blank.  Did I get that right?  Sorry it seemed to me to you were taking a jab at broader groups.

Yeah, people I know.  Not all say it directly such as that (yet some do and with a weird sense of pride about it too which is unnerving in itself) but it's not that hard to extract reason when you know the person well enough.

That is weird.  I get egotistical/ self centered.  Indifference again easy to understand.  Being a Trump supporter ... if you fell for what he was selling early on I could see that then, not so much now. Libertarian has me pretty stumped.  Religious outside of the extremists also seems odd.   

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
The_Yoda said:

That is weird.  I get egotistical/ self centered.  Indifference again easy to understand.  Being a Trump supporter ... if you fell for what he was selling early on I could see that then, not so much now. Libertarian has me pretty stumped.  Religious outside of the extremists also seems odd.   

Libertarians don't like the government telling them what to do.  Their whole gist for the existence of government is national defense and to enforce contracts.  They don't want government involvement at all after that.  They want to abolish the EPA, CDC, DoE's (Energy and Education), HUD, CIA, FBI, DoJ, IRS, Federal Reserve, etc....dozens more.

For whatever it's worth (probably not very much), I'm a Libertarian. I don't speak for all Libertarians, of course, and there's plenty of variety among us. But just to provide my own perspective, I don't see the existence of government as being primarily "national defense" or to "enforce contracts," though those are important aspects, but to uphold individual rights.

And I further believe that this is a true emergency situation which justifies extraordinary governmental action.

Italians play Fortnite game to avoid the covid 19...
see more

So we've now had, 1226 confirmed infected cases in Denmark.
153 are at a hospital for care , and 27 are in intensive care (ventilators ect).

That 27 number is the important one, apparently we can only have like 1400 ppl on ventilators at once.

If you're wondering about the worldwide number of deaths.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Coronavirus has now infected 182 countries. Madagascar is one of the few which have avoided it so far.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 20 March 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.