By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict the Next Direct (Winter 2020 Edition)

When will the next Nintendo Direct hit?

January 21st-25th 4 6.25%

January 26th-31st 7 10.94%

February 1st-7th 3 4.69%

February 8th-14th 15 23.44%

February 15th-21st 3 4.69%

February 22nd-29th 10 15.63%

March 1st-7th 9 14.06%

March 8th-14th 1 1.56%

March 15th-21st 8 12.50%

We're not getting one; Don't Care 4 6.25%

Total:64
Jumpin said:

A think a General Direct is possible after Animal Crossing, but I don’t think it’s necessary if their next big product is Xenoblade Chronicles DE for early to mid Spring. In that case, their next Direct should focus on that.

Also, a Nindies.

As I have said before, I don’t feel that Nintendo should do more than 1-2 general Directs per year, similar to how they used to do only 1-2 big shows a year: at E3 they would focus on long term plans, ans Spaceworld or TGS they would push their holiday lineup (holiday season goes a bit longer in Japan, so we’d get some Winter games in there too, or games still a while out from localization).

I still don’t think tipping their hand for future updates multiple times a year is going to benefit them in any way since focus will be constantly on future products and not upcoming ones. It’s complete BS that games need 1+ to years of hype. It’s only when sales are poor that future titles need be revealed frequently to make it look like the upcoming lineup is bulkier than it is: it’s an exercise in hotshotting. A once a year look into the future, especially in the dead of late spring, is IMO the only time in the year a healthy company should be tipping their hand for the future. Once the late summer/autumn roles around, their focus should be on actual products they intend to sell in the short term. They shouldn’t distract from that focus.

A game specific direct for a remake? If they do that, they really must not have anything else. Dx

Now I know you don't like to give straight answers to simple questions, but I'll attempt to ask some anyway:

Why would 1-2 general directs per year be fine to you but suddenly 3-4 like Nintendo usually does is bad and distracting? Seems pretty arbitrary and ignorant of the fact that Nintendo has had great success while doing this.

They've also already been putting majority focus on the next in line product as well as announcing things releasing within a year for the most part, though yes there are exceptions, but that's fine. You'd really rather they didn't announce BotW2 and Prime 4, why? How has doing so hurt them? I'd say it's only helped. It's good to have things to look forward to, people will be more excited and confident in buying the system now.

Really what matters is not how many directs they have but how many games they actually have. Whether they do 1-2 directs or 3-4, if they don't have games they'll be in the shit, if they have a lot of games they'll be good to go.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jumpin said:

A think a General Direct is possible after Animal Crossing, but I don’t think it’s necessary if their next big product is Xenoblade Chronicles DE for early to mid Spring. In that case, their next Direct should focus on that.

Also, a Nindies.

As I have said before, I don’t feel that Nintendo should do more than 1-2 general Directs per year, similar to how they used to do only 1-2 big shows a year: at E3 they would focus on long term plans, ans Spaceworld or TGS they would push their holiday lineup (holiday season goes a bit longer in Japan, so we’d get some Winter games in there too, or games still a while out from localization).

I still don’t think tipping their hand for future updates multiple times a year is going to benefit them in any way since focus will be constantly on future products and not upcoming ones. It’s complete BS that games need 1+ to years of hype. It’s only when sales are poor that future titles need be revealed frequently to make it look like the upcoming lineup is bulkier than it is: it’s an exercise in hotshotting. A once a year look into the future, especially in the dead of late spring, is IMO the only time in the year a healthy company should be tipping their hand for the future. Once the late summer/autumn roles around, their focus should be on actual products they intend to sell in the short term. They shouldn’t distract from that focus.

A game specific direct for a remake? If they do that, they really must not have anything else. Dx

1. Now I know you don't like to give straight answers to simple questions, but I'll attempt to ask some anyway:

2. Why would 1-2 general directs per year be fine to you but suddenly 3-4 like Nintendo usually does is bad and distracting? Seems pretty arbitrary and ignorant of the fact that

3. Nintendo has had great success while doing this.

They've also already been putting majority focus on the next in line product as well as announcing things releasing within a year for the most part, though yes there are exceptions, but that's fine. 4. You'd really rather they didn't announce BotW2 and Prime 4, why? How has doing so hurt them? I'd say it's only helped. It's good to have things to look forward to, people will be more excited and confident in buying the system now.

5. Really what matters is not how many directs they have but how many games they actually have. Whether they do 1-2 directs or 3-4,

6. if they don't have games they'll be in the shit, if they have a lot of games they'll be good to go.

1. Your lack of reading comprehension is not my issue. You need to fix that yourself.

2. You're being obtuse. There's nothing difficult to understand about an annual general look into the future accompanied by possible a general holiday lineup look - thus the 1-2 General Directs. This is detailed in my post above - simple enough for a child to understand.

3. Your premise is false. Nintendo's frequent posts of general directs during the Wii U era is NOT associated with a period of great success, rather the stiffest  decline and failure they had ever seen since entering the video games industry. Conversely, Nintendo's standard of 1-2 general shows per year paradigm during the SNES to end of the Wii/DS eras was often met from mild to absolutely stunning success. During the Switch era, when they lowered the frequency of general directs and began focusing on more immediate software launches, and this correlates again to an ascent of Nintendo's fortunes.

4. Where do I post that I would rather they didn't announce BotW2 or Prime 4? You literally just made that up.

5. Why are you arguing with my post if you agree that they don't need more than 1-2 General Directs per year? That's kind of the point of my post.

6. It's silly to think Nintendo doesn't have games. We already know that in 2020 we are getting Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, probably Breath of the Wild 2, probably Bravely Default 2, probably Bayonetta 3, and probably the Detective Pikachu game - that's literally already better than their 2018 lineup, and arguably better than their 2019 lineup. Metroid Prime 4 I imagine is much further out due to developmental purgatory; and that's only Nintendo Published games. On Switch, Nintendo has a history of announcing software anywhere from months before launch (like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Maker 2, and Ring Fit Adventure) right down to the day of launch (like Tetris 99).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

1. Your lack of reading comprehension is not my issue. You need to fix that yourself.

2. You're being obtuse. There's nothing difficult to understand about an annual general look into the future accompanied by possible a general holiday lineup look - thus the 1-2 General Directs. This is detailed in my post above - simple enough for a child to understand.

3. Your premise is false. Nintendo's frequent posts of general directs during the Wii U era is NOT associated with a period of great success, rather the stiffest  decline and failure they had ever seen since entering the video games industry. Conversely, Nintendo's standard of 1-2 general shows per year paradigm during the SNES to end of the Wii/DS eras was often met from mild to absolutely stunning success. During the Switch era, when they lowered the frequency of general directs and began focusing on more immediate software launches, and this correlates again to an ascent of Nintendo's fortunes.

4. Where do I post that I would rather they didn't announce BotW2 or Prime 4? You literally just made that up.

5. Why are you arguing with my post if you agree that they don't need more than 1-2 General Directs per year? That's kind of the point of my post.

6. It's silly to think Nintendo doesn't have games. We already know that in 2020 we are getting Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, probably Breath of the Wild 2, probably Bravely Default 2, probably Bayonetta 3, and probably the Detective Pikachu game - that's literally already better than their 2018 lineup, and arguably better than their 2019 lineup. Metroid Prime 4 I imagine is much further out due to developmental purgatory; and that's only Nintendo Published games. On Switch, Nintendo has a history of announcing software anywhere from months before launch (like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Maker 2, and Ring Fit Adventure) right down to the day of launch (like Tetris 99).

1. But then...

2. That doesn't answer my question. You did not detail how the 3rd and 4th direct would distract anymore than the 1st n 2nd direct. Again, Nintendo has already been doing most of what you said between 4 directs a year, so yes, I don't understand why you think cutting down to 1-2 will make any difference besides putting more stress on devs to meet deadlines.

3. You raise Wii U, I raise GameCube. Of course I'm referring to the Switch, the most recent thus relevant system which had 4 directs in 2017 (counting the presentation) 2018, and 2019 as well actually, which I thought had 3 but is actually 4 after checking.

4. What is this: "It’s complete BS that games need 1+ to years of hype." I mean yeah it's true, but in spite of that, Nintendo still announces games years off on occasion such as the aforementioned Metroid and BotW2. The rest of your post does mention still announcing games for the future so this wasn't my best point I'll admit.

5. I didn't agree with only needing 1-2 directs specifically, I said the number of directs doesn't matter, only the games do.

6. I'm explaining why the number of directs doesn't matter, I didn't say Nintendo doesn't have games, that remains to be seen lol.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jumpin said:

1. But then...

2. That doesn't answer my question. You did not detail how the 3rd and 4th direct would distract anymore than the 1st n 2nd direct. Again, Nintendo has already been doing most of what you said between 4 directs a year, so yes, I don't understand why you think cutting down to 1-2 will make any difference besides putting more stress on devs to meet deadlines.

3. You raise Wii U, I raise GameCube. Of course I'm referring to the Switch, the most recent thus relevant system which had 4 directs in 2017 (counting the presentation) 2018, and 2019 as well actually, which I thought had 3 but is actually 4 after checking.

4. What is this: "It’s complete BS that games need 1+ to years of hype." I mean yeah it's true, but in spite of that, Nintendo still announces games years off on occasion such as the aforementioned Metroid and BotW2. The rest of your post does mention still announcing games for the future so this wasn't my best point I'll admit.

5. I didn't agree with only needing 1-2 directs specifically, I said the number of directs doesn't matter, only the games do.

6. I'm explaining why the number of directs doesn't matter, I didn't say Nintendo doesn't have games, that remains to be seen lol.

1. Huh?

2. Yes it does. It's your own fault you don't understand that 4 is greater than 1. The norm is that companies do 1 general update a year, and sometimes they do a holiday season showcase. This has always worked, and when that update is placed in the dead period opposite the holiday season, then it has the lowest effect on distracting from current and upcoming products. I have repeated this multiple times, if you can't comprehend that holiday seasons only come once a year, I can't help you.

3. Which are fewer than the Wii U era. And they're doing even fewer now and sales have been high prior to Coronavirus.

4. OK.

5. My central point is that more than 1-2 general directs are not required per year. 1 to update on future games and 1 to showcase the holiday season lineup.

6. OK.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

1. But then...

1. Huh?

2. Yes it does. It's your own fault you don't understand that 4 is greater than 1. The norm is that companies do 1 general update a year, and sometimes they do a holiday season showcase. This has always worked, and when that update is placed in the dead period opposite the holiday season, then it has the lowest effect on distracting from current and upcoming products. I have repeated this multiple times, if you can't comprehend that holiday seasons only come once a year, I can't help you.

3. Which are fewer than the Wii U era. And they're doing even fewer now and sales have been high prior to Coronavirus.

4. OK.

5. My central point is that more than 1-2 general directs are not required per year. 1 to update on future games and 1 to showcase the holiday season lineup.

6. OK.

2. Lemme rephrase the question, why are they having success with 4 directs per year when that isn't the 1-2 number you're saying they need? For the question to be answered, you must acknowledge the elephant in the room, being the Switch existing. Also, what metric are you using to determine how much a direct distracts exactly? It definitely ain't sales, the only relevant metric, as BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, etc. have continued to sell despite the many directs since their release to supposedly distract from them.

3. But still more than 1-2.

5. Yes I know, that's why I'm saying they're not required to have less than 3 directs either.

I can feel in me toes the direct being announced tomorrow

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

NightlyPoe said:

Well, Nintendo's done it. Like a petulant child they've held their breath so long that it's no longer Winter and this thread's poll question's answer is the joke at the end about not getting one.

But there's a maybe/probably/hopefully/pleasepleaseplease good chance we'll have a Direct announced tomorrow. And with our patience(?) rewarded, then Nintendo can devise new and exciting ways to torture their fans in their never-ending bid to discover the outer bounds of our faith and dedication to them.

I'm going to go ahead and wait until Monday to post a new thread for Spring, unless of course someone ends up beating me to it.  But yes, the joke option has been declared victor.  Odd times, and certainly not what I had expected when I created the thread.

INightlyPoe said:

Well, Nintendo's done it. Like a petulant child they've held their breath so long that it's no longer Winter and this thread's poll question's answer is the joke at the end about not getting one.

But there's a maybe/probably/hopefully/pleasepleaseplease good chance we'll have a Direct announced tomorrow. And with our patience(?) rewarded, then Nintendo can devise new and exciting ways to torture their fans in their never-ending bid to discover the outer bounds of our faith and dedication to them.

Only Nintendo's not holding their breath while pleading for a Direct, you are.

According to jumpin n spokentruth's logic, this direct should negatively impact New Horizon's sales. Even with this site no longer tracking software sales, it should be pretty apparent whether that's the case or not and spoiler alert, it wont be. They'll still go on believing it matters when exactly/how many directs happen of course as their logic isn't based on proof or evidence.

But yeah, Nintendo made it clear from the get go that the virus has impacted things. Without that we probably would have seen the direct sooner with new games likely being announced too.